Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Not Sure

• Total voters

Ryan

Sealiner
For me - Short drop bastard sideways cast.
Reason for this is that I spent my early multiplier days plugging for kings in chest deep rough water on the rocks.
You have to be fast furious and hold you balance against the swell. I average out at about 145m some casts going further on .50/.55 my preference sinker weight would have to 6oz.
I must say that what really improved my casting is throwing plugs - because they have a tendancy not to fly very straight and do all sorts of funny things in the air they teach you all about line/spool control and I hasten to add that even when that Birdsnest does arrive she is not normally too bad.....
If you are burning your finger then you are doing something wrong - your cast should be a fluid movement and I believe the CT boys don't even touch the spool when they hammer out a cast - this however is not for me....
ANyways my humble 2 c worth.
PS. it defs pays to be a big oke/lady - size is an asset

deisel

Sealiner
so does that mean hommie should give up now and start riding race horses :hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst:

Mangi

Sealiner
Overhead cast. Blue Marlin G3 4:6, Medium Tip, 5oz sinker + Small Chokka Bait, Shimano Speedmaster IV, KFGA .50mm - 105 meters. What can I do to up my distance and is it needed, since I only target eds?

Mangi

Sealiner
[color=#006600]Ocean Hunter[/color] wrote:
[color=#006600]JonMan9[/color] wrote:
Overhead cast. Blue Marlin G3 4:6, Medium Tip, 5oz sinker + Small Chokka Bait, Shimano Speedmaster IV, KFGA .50mm - 105 meters. What can I do to up my distance and is it needed, since I only target eds?
Try a 6oz sinker, should give you 10-15m more. Its still a good cast with that tackle and a bait.
Thx Ocean Hunter.  Just started using the 5oz instead of the 6oz.  I'm always scared of overloading the rod!  Specially with a bait on.  But I have to admit, it always felt like i casted further with the 6oz.  Just to confirm, this is with the medium tip, not heavy.  Will switch back again!

AnglerX

[color=#006600]CrAZy-BuG[/color] wrote:
I measure my casts with a measuring tape on the schools sports fields or with a little measuring tool that attaches to your rod at the lake.

My best cast thus far was 172m(on a sports field). I had a look on youtube, there is a guy there that unloads a saltist 50h that has .55 line on it using a pendulum cast. He claims its around the 250m mark.
250m, hard to believe, especially with .55 line
It is these videos that I downloaded to help with my cast, there is a couple of okes that hammer a rod guys like Niel Mackellows and partners, don't always trust the distance given on the homemade videos but some is from casting competions, all of these of course is sinkers only.

Ocean Hunter

Sealiner
Try a 6oz sinker, should give you 10-15m more. Its still a good cast with that tackle and a bait.
Thx Ocean Hunter.  Just started using the 5oz instead of the 6oz.  I'm always scared of overloading the rod!  Specially with a bait on.  But I have to admit, it always felt like i casted further with the 6oz.  Just to confirm, this is with the medium tip, not heavy.  Will switch back again!
I have noticed that when I use my light set up and use a 5oz, the cast dies quite quickly because of the drag of the bait and the line, especially with a bit of a head wind. I use .36mm main line which helps alot. If you are using .50mm line a 6oz is the way to go.

Mangi

Sealiner
Shot, thanks OH. Will keep going with the 6oz! I guess it's just practise to get up to those 150m casts. But I'm happy so far, it's my fourth month with a multiplier so things can only get better.

deisel

Sealiner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZR9PLlYFPY&feature=related

this guys threw 245 meters in 1995. watch the video the proof is there

deisel

Sealiner
jeeez john only four months, your getting there buddy i dont throw as far as you and i been doing it for 3 years, maybe im just a dumbass???

Mangi

Sealiner
I seriously doubt that you're a dumbass, but thanks for the complement. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky. Is it true that a "bigger" oke/gal will punch it further? Cause I'm pretty short, does this make a difference?

RAGGIE HOLIC

sometimes not even 140-150 is enough to get to the drop..then rather move to another spot which is suitable for fishing..believe me,measuring on a field and actually standing in the water is a huge difference..adding the bait and weather conditions...most fish are caught closer than 100meters from the shore..and accurate casting is allso a gift..need it when fishing league..otherwise you will have 250 other anglers breathing down your neck!!!!

deisel

Sealiner
these are poms bru they use a whole different setup, whippy fast tapered rods and very thin line with tiny multipliers, dont knw what the hell they would do if they got into a real fish, buckle in half i spose

Ocean Hunter

Sealiner
Haha! Ja i know what u mean, one of my clients from the UK wanted to take me on in a casting comp, he said that he is a good caster! Seeing that i was the guide and had been casting for him for over a week, I thought what a cheek! I witnessed him practising with my heavy tackle, i just laughed! I also asked him to put a galjoen head on for bait and then try! Lol

deisel

Sealiner
they struggle hey, i also laugh when i heard stories of sa fishing against the uk, lance grobbler told me all sorts of funny tings about them breaking off with big fish ect ect