I have been using a multiplier for years with big

I&J

New member
I have been using a multiplier for years with big tackle and now am trying to do spinning with a grinder.
My rod and reel are both Shimano. The reel has a lever for release. When I cast the spoon goes strait up and lands on someones head or strait down in the sand but never into the water.
Should I leave this lever and practice normal chucking? How do I hold the braid down before release?
 

SAfish

Sealiner
I can relate to I&J, I also struggle to cast with a grinder. I just cannot get direction and distance. I think I am using my dumb finger. I can never cast in the same area or get the same distance twice in a row. I will be watching this topic!!
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Hold The Line 90DEG. to the rod , so that when holding it , the line makes an "L" , your finger holding the line at the middle of the "L" (you getting this ?...)
Do not make the mistake of holding the line , slightly higher up to the reel , with your whole hand , or all your fingers .Not only will you look like a complete twit- you aint gonna throw past your own shadow .My dad does this so I Know it all too well (strange-a man WORKS for I&J for 35 years , yet he struggles to cast so ha can catch a single fish ..) so , using your trigger finger , pull the line directly back to the rod itself , perpendicular to the spool as described , and flip the lever over .
Time the sinker , much as you'd do with a multiplier , and when you feel the sinker coming to the point at around 10.30-11 , with 12 o clock being straight up - Let go . the sinker should make a lovely apex and travel a little farther up than it does away , at first .

That's about it , I guess ? Watching my old man come fishing with me the other day , man , was comical to say the least .a 12ft Sensation shad pro spinnning , with a Bg 30 , lovely tackle Man , my Best spinning rig for the surf - and the man did all sorts of things ot the rod/reel set-up to cast , which had some of the okes from the club going "wat de BLiks........???????? " !!

Ha Ha Ha ha!! so .
dont Feel Left out pal . Shit I wish I'd made a video Of that .You tube se moer ou broer !
 

Simen

Sealiner
"Coffee" grinder, combined with rod, has three fundementals
1) feet placement
2) overhead swing
3)Release timing.
Get those these right and you cast at the same place everytime.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
It is my trigger finger that is lazy. Somehow I just can't get it out of the way fast enough when I release.

Def, next time we go leerie hunting, bring your camera for those Abu casts!
 

wp34

Sealiner
Invest in a "bionic Finger" It makes your life a lot simpler and easier on the fingers with braid!! Google it , it is made by Breakaway from England I dont know how to post a link!
 

plugger

Senior Member
Try hooking the line with just the tip of your finger. The pressure from the bait and sinker will pull it off without you having to time it too much, then play with hooking it further on you finger. i find with a dropshot rod if I point my thumb along the back of the rod when I cast i can be quite accurate in putting the lure where i want it. my 2c.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
wp34 wrote:
Invest in a "bionic Finger" It makes your life a lot simpler and easier on the fingers with braid!! Google it , it is made by Breakaway from England I dont know how to post a link!

Hahaha, I made a search on google, but my settings must have been incorrect. I got some kind of pink page and bailed...:hyst::hyst::hyst:

I'll try and practice more with my own finger. I just find a levelwind so much easier!
 

jaccil

Senior Member
You can view the Breakaway Cannon (bionic finger) here.

Ebay item number 270430226436 though the seller doesn't ship to SA.  If you need one let me know, I'm coming down to the Cape Town on the 29th of August.

I don't use it myself, but I only use fixed spool reels (grinders) for light gear - not for casting heavy sinkers and spoons.  I think it's only really useful when distance casting with a fixed spool loaded with braid and no casting leader.

breakaway-canon.jpg
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
 

wp34

Sealiner
 I use one and it makes a hell of a difference in distance. Takes a bit to get used to(release time) but it works with 1 ounce all the way too 6 ounce. Let me know when you in SA we can wet a line( and the throat!!!) Bring jy tackle saam? Ek het genoeg hier as jy niks bring nie!
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Hey, ouens, ek joke net. Nie oor die gooi van 'n grinder nie, net oor die "bionic finger"! Dit klink na 'n 1980's kleur film... laat ons maar dit daar los. I don't mind the fact that I'm one of only a hand full of people that can't cast with a grinder. I can, the thing is that I get better results from my Abu 6500! Jaccil, do you get Ondas and Shimano ocea stick baits in the UK?
 

tauruck

Sealiner
And I thought everyone had a problem with baitcasters. You honestly tell me you can't cast a grinder. No way. Dude, you can cast 300m with a heavy sinker on a Grinder. I've watched my buddy do it on many occasions. Backline no problem. You have to OPEN the bail.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
When do you sleep? Like I said, I struggle to get distance and accuracy. I am fine with multipliers and bait casters, it is just a grinder that gives me troubles. It's a curse. :temp::swear
 

I&J

New member
tauruck wrote:
And I thought everyone had a problem with baitcasters. You honestly tell me you can't cast a grinder. No way. Dude, you can cast 300m with a heavy sinker on a Grinder. I've watched my buddy do it on many occasions. Backline no problem. You have to OPEN the bail.
Multipliers are easy with 14ft rods. So are grinders. You have 50cm space between your hands. With an 8ft spinning rod you have less than half of that. Your "trigger" finger can only be just in front of the reel.
 

I&J

New member
My Shimano reel has a lever that you can position close to the rod "it turns with the spool"and exactly where your index finger is in normal casting and you just trigger it at the right moment and the "castor?" flips over.
Tried again today without this lever and getting better results with side swipes as "bend baby, bend" post. Only thing is direction accuracy.
 

wp34

Sealiner
Ok I&J now I know what you talking about. It is a trigger type thingie on your bail arm. It rotates with your bail arm and the spool is stationary. See if you can unscrew this trigger and throw it away. It is a gimmick never intended to work for casting. When you cast with a grinder always cast over your head , never a sideswipe!! That is the way I cast and it works for me!

Brian
 

jaccil

Senior Member
I&J, forget the trigger.  Hold the line with your index finger at a 90 degree angle to the rod (in line with the spool).  Flip over the bail arm while holding the line.  Now perform your cast and release the line as the tip of your rod is about 60 degrees into the direction you're casting.  Practice makes perfect!



Picture from fishSA.com (click the pic).
 
Top