I have been using a multiplier for years with big

I&J

New member
Thank you. Went for a practice earlier today again. Got good distance with 1oz spoon and casting overhead.
1/3oz rubber lure is still a problem with overhead casting. Get much better distance if I side swipe it with a 30 degree upward swing but accuracy is then a problem.
 

jaccil

Senior Member
As said in your other thread, it's not easy to cast soft plastics very far.  I take it you are using a jighead - what weight?  What's the rating on your rod (10-40g, 1-3oz, etc) and what line are you using?

The best outfit to cast soft plastics is a light fast action rod with thin braid.  You don't want to go too heavy on the jighead as this may hamper the action of the lure.

When using soft plastics, try to find a spot where the water is fairly deep and you won't need to cast very far.  Let the lure sink and then retrieve it slowly.  When using a paddle tail keep, the bait moving close to the bottom to create those vibrations; when using a jerk shad, keep twitching/bumping it on the bottom.  If there's kob around, you may be in for some fun!

For more info on lures and soft plastics, see neilg's topic called Light Tackle Artificial Angling - Part 1 (click).
 

Torpedo Jack

Senior Member
I&J!

Grinders are quite easy! Just got to keep practising. Multipliers are MUCH more difficult by comparison. Here's a link to a thread which shows an alternate method for pinching the line.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=19978&forum_id=73

Also, Don Kingfish suggests using the thumb - most unorthodox, but I tried it yesterday afternoon and it works. Thanks Don!

Hope this helps.
Mike
 

I&J

New member
Thanks Torpedo. Will try the thumb next time.

I have 8lb braid with 12lb leader, so the line is not an issue on the fingers.

My rod is 10 to 30g and I was using 1/3oz (10g) rubber minnow.
 

Bux

Senior Member
I have a friend over here that owns a resuarant - was having a drink with him one night where he told me about all this tackle he scored from a departing expat - he showed me and I raved about a little brand new shimano stradic 3000. Said he couldnt cast with a grinder and gave it to me on the spot for free! Glad he didnt look at the price of these little babies!
 

I&J

New member
Went out yesterday to caste into the water with my 8ft M after many hours of practice with a multiplier getting 30m at most. I used a Shimano 2000 grinder with a 1oz lure and with hardly any effort got 70+ meters. With a front wind.

No more multipliers for me. Will leave that to the 14 footers, hollow rod and Pen 500's with 10oz spark plugs.

I am sure I can outcaste them any day with my light stuff.

Sorry, but I just HAD to post this.
 

Smirre

New member
I just red your coments, I learned how to cast with a grinder in freshwater and later upgraded to multplier reels and sea water. I still strugle to cast with a grinder on a surf rod, The grips on the surf and freshwater rods are swaped around , on a freshwater rod the longer grip is on the back of the reel to add leverage and on surf rods the longer grip is in front of the reel to accomodate for a bucket and a multiplier. Try a few casts with a freshwater rod just to get the feel of the release en direction and then change back to the surf rod. when I go surf fishing i take a good quality freshwater rod with, laugh if you want but when the tyre hits the road and casting distance makes the differance i go back to my freshwater rod, the placement of your hands on a freshwater rod with the longer butt makes the cast so much esier. works for me.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Smirre, I can't see any problems with you using a good quality fresh water rod if you do scratching. Like you said bait placement is more important. I would rather catch fish on a fresh water rod than no fish on a salt water rod.
 

dav123333

New member
Just a dumb comment but the fresh water and sea water rods you are talking about is a spinning rod and a multiplier rod. Use a grinder on a spinning rod and a multiplier on a multiplier rod. If you swap the two your hands will not be placed correctly, and the eyes on the rods differ ie. the spinning rod has bigger eyes than the multiplier rod because the grinder sits further away from the blank and the multiplier sits closer, the friction on the eyes and line if you mix the two is more. Just my 2c.

Sorry for the spelling and grammar i am Afr.

Have a nice day.:SSS
 

SAfish

Sealiner
You are 100% correct. Using a casting rod with a grinder will make it really difficult. I have a Sensation Shad Pro 10ft casting rod and I want to give it to my dad, but he uses a grinder. The whole grip and rod guide arrangement is different. I will have to try and swap it for a spinning rod.
 

Dirty Dan

New member
I have that same Sensation Shad 10 footer...and matched with a nice big grinder (loaded with 20 lb braid) and a taped up fingertip I can sling a 4 ounce spoon 140 meters plus...the perfect spinning setup IMHO......
 

I&J

New member
I must add that I was using my 8ft H rod with a 1oz spoon at Kalk Bay harbour on the main wall at the lighthouse.

There were guys with umungus rods and multipliers. Using all their strengh and speed sounding like "wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir" when casting that bait.

With not much effort my Shimano's sounded like "whish". Short and sweet then quiet as is soared and soared into oncoming the wind. I thought it would never stop. Had to glance at the reel to see if there is line left of my 130m.

I managed to caste further than the multiplier guys. Next time I will try a 1.5oz spoon.
 
Top