I am planning on trying to catch so garrick in san

Like someone said on here, it takes a lot of dedication to consistently get Leeries on fly at sandvlei. Two years ago a few of us worked it out and made some incredible catches. Word got out and the place became like a carnival which ultimately spoilt it for everyone. The only tip I will give to add to what has already been said is don't stand casting from one spot for too long. All you do is create a corridoor as you chase all the baitfish away. I am constantly on the prowl when I fish Sandvlei, and I've caught more than my fair share as a result. Good luck
 

BrendanD

New member
Another option is springer. While walking along the lagoon with my wife one evening I saw a springer jumping a few times. It might be worthwhile to try targeting them.
 

bulliejakes

New member
[color=#006600]Polychaete[/color] wrote:
[color=#006600]BrendanD[/color] wrote:
Another option is springer. While walking along the lagoon with my wife one evening I saw a springer jumping a few times. It might be worthwhile to try targeting them.

I saw some very large Springers there...they were doing some serious acrobatics.

How do you catch those things?

you catch those boys with difficulty! either by net or use light tackle, float and bread, when they take they put ur a nice fight!

gd luck
 

jb2

Sealiner
I was sitting on Park Island a while back and a young and competent fisherman asked me what my best catch in the vlei was. I puffed up my chest and said 8,5 kg leerie on 4kg line.

He said that that wasn't too bad but that he had caught a huge springer on a size 12 crazy charlie and a 3 weight rod.

I immediately did the appropriate thing and did  the Waynes World "We're not worthy" thing with the arms.

 
 

will101

Senior Member
It's possible to chum them springers (striped mullet) into feeding mode with bread and sometimes anchovy oil. They put up massive fights for their size!
 

will101

Senior Member
no, I have tried believe me. But not with chumming though - I still have to try that. I have been very close to schools cruising/ lazing just below surface - when you cast over the school they cause a hell of a disturbance on the surface.
 

Polychaete

Senior Member
[color=#006600]bulliejakes[/color] wrote:
[color=#006600]Polychaete[/color] wrote:
[color=#006600]BrendanD[/color] wrote:
Another option is springer. While walking along the lagoon with my wife one evening I saw a springer jumping a few times. It might be worthwhile to try targeting them.

I saw some very large Springers there...they were doing some serious acrobatics.

How do you catch those things?

you catch those boys with difficulty! either by net or use light tackle, float and bread, when they take they put ur a nice fight!

gd luck

Good answer. :lol:1

The ones I've seen there were probably over 3kg and getting good air time.

Most were well out of light tackle casting range though.   Cast my plug over them a few times but no interest!
 

SAfish

Sealiner
My pb striped mullet is 2.965kg, caught at De Mond. It had put up a huge fight. Just be careful, their mouths are soft. They seemed to have disappeared from the Knysna lagoon. I haven't caught one in ages.
 

bulliejakes

New member
[color=#006600]SAfish[/color] wrote:
My pb striped mullet is 2.965kg, caught at De Mond. It had put up a huge fight. Just be careful, their mouths are soft. They seemed to have disappeared from the Knysna lagoon. I haven't caught one in ages.

its a drive but ok, Island lake in wilderness!!!!!!!!! man some monsters there 2....

and along with them come some monster leeries aswell!
 
When i was there i think i saw a huge amount under the bridge write there on those prawn flats. Can't wait to go back there to go for those garrick, has anyone got any reports on how its going?

Cheers
 
Two weeks ago i was at sandvlei, niks.

It seems really dead there, other than shoals of mullet there is no fishy action that i could see.

Unless there are some major reports of the garrick there im not going to go back
 

tackle whore

Senior Member
was there sunday evening 2 leeries in the 4 kg class .too much bait fish in water but plenty coming out on island upto 9 kg.saw one fish over 12kg chase mullet too my feet .best so far 39 fish in one season biggest 18 kg.stopped going because the locals see you catch one fish then next day 100's arrive and kill everything .
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
tackle whore wrote:
was there sunday evening 2 leeries in the 4 kg class .too much bait fish in water but plenty coming out on island upto 9 kg.saw one fish over 12kg chase mullet too my feet .best so far 39 fish in one season biggest 18 kg.stopped going because the locals see you catch one fish then next day 100's arrive and kill everything .

Oh Sh*t, there goes the neighbourhood..... Geez, they let anyone sign up here these days!!!:fbash

 

HAHAHAHAHA, just kidding buddy, lekker to see you here and stoked you finally found us!!!
 

will101

Senior Member
Yip the fish are there but they are super "skerp". What tackle did the Tackle Whore use if I may ask? About 2 weeks ago I had a few bashes there but no luck although I could cast to several individual fish that were clearly on the hunt. I agree there are too many baitfish in the system they should poisen the buggers. Just kidding OK.
 
Top