I am planning on trying to catch so garrick in san

Polychaete

Senior Member
tackle whore wrote:
was there sunday evening 2 leeries in the 4 kg class .too much bait fish in water but plenty coming out on island upto 9 kg.saw one fish over 12kg chase mullet too my feet .best so far 39 fish in one season biggest 18 kg.stopped going because the locals see you catch one fish then next day 100's arrive and kill everything .
Sorry mate, I agree with Neptune's sentiment, you are worried about the locals but happy to put this out on the web, makes no sense to me.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Sorry Poly - I was just pulling Tackle Whore's leg, he's a mate of mine... reprobate that he is!!:)

I can promise you that TW is one of the biggest proponants of preserving our fish stocks and Catch and Release of our species....

I think the locals that TW is mentioning are the type who don't frequent this site, but rather the "commercial" live baiters who catch and kill everything in the vlei...
 

Polychaete

Senior Member
I am over sensitive about these issues cause I see how much pressure is put on fish stocks, particularly by those who kill everything they catch. Much of this happens because of the indiscriminate spread of catch info.

2 weeks ago I tagged a YT at Cape Point, 11 days later it was killed in Fish Hoek in the net.......LOL At least the trek netters sent in the return.

BTW I am not really a "fish hugger" also kill my fair share.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Poly - I hear ya bro, and after seeing what happened a couple seasons back when word got out of a couple good leeries coming out, I agree with you.... I think the best advice for Sandvlei is if you wanna catch fish, just go try.... somedays it works, others it doesn't.....

Nice to hear you doing some tagging of the YT.... pity the bloody trekkers took her... but as you say, nice of them to send in the return!!!

We all love to conserve and protect our fish stocks, but I think most of us are also like you mate, I enjoy killing and eating my fair share of fishies! ;-)
 

tackle whore

Senior Member
for the record, tagged 27 yellowfin for IOTC last season only one is still swimming biggest 98kg was caught 47 days later off cape point,piontless tagging YT this time of year as they are spawning and get nailed by the trek fishermen as they use fish hoek and smits as spawning bays. as for the leeries - medium chugbugs always work any colour will do.please dont tag the leeries in the vlei ,they cant get out and the growth on the tag gets very bad.chum the mullet with sardine/redeye oil and use a white "dry fly"they just slurp it in off the surface. HELLO ANDRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     
 

Polychaete

Senior Member
tackle whore wrote:
for the record, tagged 27 yellowfin for IOTC last season only one is still swimming biggest 98kg was caught 47 days later off cape point,piontless tagging YT this time of year as they are spawning and get nailed by the trek fishermen as they use fish hoek and smits as spawning bays. as for the leeries - medium chugbugs always work any colour will do.please dont tag the leeries in the vlei ,they cant get out and the growth on the tag gets very bad.chum the mullet with sardine/redeye oil and use a white "dry fly"they just slurp it in off the surface. HELLO ANDRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     

That is a very very telling story about the future of our Yellowfin!  

Maybe its not quite "pointless" tagging Yellowtail it just made me irritated that the stupid thing swam, straight in to a net, but at least it proved that it found another shoal quickly to carry on its procreation.
 
Top