How to break off when hooked on the bottom when jigging??

tkei

Sealiner
I read Blaasoppies recent post and he commented about the difficulty in breaking off when hooked up on  the bottom.

In kenya I got well and truly hooked ont he bottom on Nepps's Kojack and gorilla. I think it has 80lb saltiga boat braid on it.

When bottom fishing withb a KP, easy, hold handle, straight stick and something snaps.

jigging, different story. I tried it all, drag to full, line peels off, loosed off completly, tightend preset, back to full, same thing, proble if you do this too far is there is no freespool and you cant back off the drag.

you cant do the wrap around the rod like yuou do when R&S as the braid will cut the blank or your hands off should it slip.

eventually draove it off with reel on full lock, straight stick and the gillie thumbing the spool as much as he could. 80lb, my ass. if it had of been a fish it would have snapped like cotton however.

so, how do you snap off with braid without causing damage to tackle or self?

 
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Tkei,

A major concern when using a spinner is possible damage to the bail arm; your first reaction is to straight stick and hold the spool which is not at all recommended as you are likely to tear the bail arm off the reel.

I have been seriously stuck three times recently and twice i managed to free the jig by getting directly above the jig and doing the jerk/slack line deal which in some cases may take some time to do. I think that really thick leather gloves are the only viable option apart from cutting the braid off which is not going to do it for me.
 

tkei

Sealiner
Blaasoppie, I can imagine straightstick with grinder not a good idea.
with the overhead like i use, i contemplated taking a good few wraps around the fish "bat" and hold on vas to that. it would have to be a good few wraps to prevent it slipping over the bat.
i had the added problem of being on a 38ft cat, 5knot current going north and 15knot NE wingd. made things very awkward.
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Ironic that I was considering the very same thing last night between a bottle of merlot and Mr Sandman taking me. Suffice to say not to long a period:)

Like the idea of wrapping around another object (eg you bat or a gaff etc) seems like the only option. Wrap, hold, engage - and hopefully not swim:)
 

DWB

Sealiner
Im no jigger, but i just look for another object i can wrap the line/braid around and then pull, thus no pressure on your reel...... so your 'bat' wouldve worked well
 

tkei

Sealiner
We thought about it, but decided against it as i really didnt feel like it snapping at the bat and losing 250 m of braid. we wetre jigging 170m a tthe time and current wind etc meant a lot of line out. next time the wrap will be done.
make vas en hou vas.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
If you keep a short section of Dowel, preferably about 1.5" thick, and glue a section of thick leather round it... use that as a "break off" stick....

Prevents wear on pressure on the reel, but also treats the braid a little sweeter....
 

fedu

Sealiner
Well, I first try to get it off and save the jig with the usual procedures.

When this doens't work I just roll the braid around the Pull-up Cleats and allow the boat movement to do the rest.
 

Attachments

  • PCleat.jpg
    PCleat.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 191

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
A fairly thick peice of that 4 core underground armoured eletrical cable also works well - braid bites into plastic quite well to stop slippage. 
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
I recon they need to come up with a tool similar to the Shout Line Holder.

lineholder.jpg
 

Iman

New member
I agree with fedu, but today I went jigging and hooked up the land i did not want to loose a shout jig ( 25 euros) so I tried to straighten up the braid than opening the bail arm and it seem to work, I released the Jig 3 times form the bottom,

Hope it works for you too

Iman
 

ONDE ONDA

New member
Got stuck on Protea twice last weekend I got the jigs out by running around the jig with the boat with fair pressure to the jig.   
 
Top