Hooks

dugongboy

Sealiner
Nothing wrong with Bandits except that out of a pack of 10 you sometimes get 1 or 2 that are c#@p ! So check them out !
Fishermen are a strange bunch - spend thousands on rods, reels, line and leaders and then skrimp over a R3.00 hook.I rather use the better brands as at the end of the day they are not too much more - it depends on your budget.
For couta trebles I only use the Owner ST-66 they are the best by far!!!
 

Karma

Senior Member
[color=#006600]dugongboy[/color] wrote:
Nothing wrong with Bandits except that out of a pack of 10 you sometimes get 1 or 2 that are c#@p ! So check them out !
Fishermen are a strange bunch - spend thousands on rods, reels, line and leaders and then skrimp over a R3.00 hook.I rather use the better brands as at the end of the day they are not too much more - it depends on your budget.
For couta trebles I only use the Owner ST-66 they are the best by far!!!

Hi

 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  As John Otto once wrote, a R3k reel coupled with a R3.5k rod, with R800 braid and R200 mono with R3 hook makes you outfit worth R3.  Your lowest denominator is the cost of your setup, so rather use VMC's, Diacchi's, Mustad Owner or a top brand that cost you somewhat more but less overall and definitely less fished lost.  ciao
 

Silent Bob

Senior Member
suburban sells the vmc hook loose for about R3. how often do u guys change hooks? do u use new hooks for every trace or do u use a hook more than once?
 

Brand

Senior Member
Good question Silent Bob!

I get a bit overboard i think and every time i tie up a new trace I tend to use new hooks. The old ones are kept in a separate packet to be used "one day"...i always tell myself.

I'm getting a bit better now and i'm starting to use the one fish old hooks!

It gets expensive when you think of it in the end!

An average trace + bait equals about +/-

1,5m 200lb carbon coat steel - R4.50
2 x Di'achi 10/O hooks - R10
Skirt (Yamashita) - R6
Sinker 9oz - R12
Non Return (Power) - R12
Bait (bonnie or chokka) - R25

TOTAL = Almost R70 !!!

I know there are cheaper ways about it!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
 

habib

Sealiner
alo

can the daichi 10/0 hooks be sharpened. asking coz i never tried. and just like brand, i put new hooks on a new trace and keep the old ones(which are still good) in a money packet which usually ends up in the bin or given to sum1. tackle is not cheap, i know but we anglers have no sense of budgeting when it comes to buying new tackle. (credit cards are evil)

zeyn
 

Silent Bob

Senior Member
i normally use my vmc circle hooks for a month at least and my circle mustad 2 months. my bandits i use once only cause they rust real fast! the only thing i replace is the trace line.
 

skrops

Sealiner
My smaller hooks are all Mustad 1/0 2/0 4/0 6/0 for 8/0 and 10/0 I use Gamakatsu's, the smaller hooks I will use and sharpen for as long they look good, as soon as they start rusting I turf them they are cheap enough, the Gamakatsu's I also re-use, normally after fishing they start rusting, then I will leave them overnight in a viniger and water solution, next day clean and sharpen them and store in flour for next time.

In my opinion if the hook bites into you thumb nail then it is sharp enough to hook a fish. I once hooked a 6cm Pompano just below the dorsal fin with a 6/0 hook.......evidence of a sharp hook.
 

DWB

Sealiner
Use Mustad Kendal Round 10/0 and mustad BIG GAME 10/0 (at R20 per hook they start rusting overnight)and Daiichi 10/0

These bloody things all rust..........
 

skrops

Sealiner
The hooks must rust, otherwise fish that got away with your hook in it's mouth will eventualy pass it on to it's young.

not sure if you guys have tried to remove the rust with viniger and water, its works like a bomb.
 

MouseDog

Senior Member
On the topic of hooks, I have +- 100 old, rusted hooks in a coffee tin, what is a "safe" way to discard them without having to worry about dogs or cats getting in my rubish and finding them?
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Phone up Pikitup... they have a Medical waste service. They will pick up "sharps" (usually used needles and vials) from you premises and incinerate them.
 
Guys there is nothing wrong with bandit hooks up to 7/0 in size..they great for edible fishing cos they light and dont need much floatation on a bait..the 7/0 bandit has also become my choice off hook for grey sharks because they dont rust as easily as the other better brands with the ammonia..also the shank is slightly thinner so u can drive a hook set home easier..

The 9/0 and 10/0 versions are a little soft though for big shark fishing..

Ironically my favourite hook thru the december month was a pack off 3 owner cutting point hooks in 4/0 size..those hooks landed fish upon fish upon fish..especially when throwing small baits for greys at umdloti..u would think that with a hook that small you would miss the fish but these things just found their mark each time..
 

Copper

Sealiner
Bandits for pan fish, ie galjoen, blacktail, kob under 10kg, etc. Gook hooks up to 8/0 for edibles.
Also Kendal and Mustad Hoodlum or daichi or VMC. Problem is that these are around R35 for 2 in the 10/0 size.
Tried LYNX the other day - R23-80 for 5.
Stood up nicely against a 95kg raggie caught at the Kei.
However, there are so many types, brands and colours available, that it generally boils down to personnal preferance.
It must be sharp - main requirement.
 
G

Guest

Guest
    I will never use a bandit hook. i have seen too many of them straighten. OK for small edibles they will work but why by hooks that are inferior. The one good thing about them, if you hook them on the rocks just pull your  line and the hook will straighten.
I have seen far to many big fish lost because of the bendit.

It is a good hook for the shad run fisherman.

Oom
 

GL

Senior Member
Last week we tried a new hook i got from overseas that was brilliant .

Fisherman Spinoza Hook 11/0 and 13/0. Used them on plugs, jigs and live baits.

Broke a pliers trying to flatten barb after skipper got hook in his little finger. They are very sharp and tough as nails!

www.fisherman.ne.jp
 

Hooked

Senior Member
I use Daichi 8/0 and 10/0 and Owner 10/0 Jobo hooks for shark fishing .The 10/0 Jobos are massive and will never bend.Ever
 
Top