hi peoples what would you say is a good dropshot

neilg

Sealiner
You can also look at the Saltiga Casting Braid, the ESA boys reckon it's also pretty good. I have not used it so I cannot give you my personal opinion.

Don't know what the price on it is though.

I'm not sponsored so for me to test something I have to buy it.

On the very light braids, like the 4lb and 6lb you can also get wind-knots, that's why I prefer to stick to 8lb and up. I have gotton ONE wind-knot on my 6lb Fireline.
 

ebs

Sealiner
thanks bud i think ill get the fireline now, who knows its all about trial and error.....for now im off to langebaan lagoon the weekend to target stumpnose and possibly steenbra will see what happens and report back.
thanks for the help rowland and neilg, its much appreciated
 

roland

Sealiner
ebs wrote:
thanks bud i think ill get the fireline now, who knows its all about trial and error.....for now im off to langebaan lagoon the weekend to target stumpnose and possibly steenbra will see what happens and report back.
thanks for the help rowland and neilg, its much appreciated


what colour fireline u gona get lol. u wont go wrong with it. if i could both my grinders wouldve been spooled with it
 

ebs

Sealiner
hey rowland, i didnt get fireline as they didnt have 150m rolls only 300, and 300 wouldve been 2 much for the slade 2500, so i bought power pro 10pounds the black one. will see how much success i get, wish my luck :)
 

roland

Sealiner
good luck buddy. i dont know power pro, but in my opinion , and some guys will argue this and i really dont want to step on toes, braid (and tackle) are only as good as u use them. if u know what i mean
 

neilg

Sealiner
Roland
don't be worried about stepping on toes, we all entitled to our opinions, whether the next one agrees with it or not.

A wind-knot, well when you cast you suddenly get this bunch-up of line (almost like a crows nest on a multiplier), but it's not on the reel, its just in the middle of nowhere.

There are many reasons it happens, and I have spent alot of time making sure I don't have that problem. Then I went and bought Kingfisher braid, and got one after the other, and lost a few lures aswell.

First mistake people make with casting braid on spinning reels, they overfill the reels, wind-knot gallore is what they'll experience.

Unfortunately because of the force when you cast (and you get a wind-knot) it normally ends up cutting the line off, cause it really pulls into a knot that is extremely difficult to take apart.

I luckily don't have much experience with wind-knots
 

neilg

Sealiner
Powerpro is a very good braid, I have 50lb on my one spinning reel, just haven't used it alot for spinning, used it more off the boat.
 

ebs

Sealiner
ive had a test run with it the weekend guys and they seem excellent, not 1 wind knot hey, i managed to land a 47cm stumpnose of note, and because i didnt know how to set the drag properly, i had a major fight against my stupidity and the fish hehehe, eventually i managed to get the drag almost right after a 3-4min fight between me the fish and the drag, and im really amazed at the strength of the braid. The combo is good, the rod is perfect actually as its a med heavy and allows for easy lure movement even in the wind...

the reel is nice, but im pressuming ive got a lot of learning to do still as ive only fished with a multiplier previously.

all in all guys im amazed at dropshotting....i will definitly be doing it more often.

thanks to all the guys who commented, and pics of the stump are soon to follow
 

roland

Sealiner
hey ebs. congrats on that catch hey. nice size and extra lekke fun on light tackle. maybe i missed it but what rod and reel did u get? what did u get the stump on?
 

ebs

Sealiner
tx boet, i got 7ft passion stick and a slade 2500....filled with 10lb power pro braid bro
 

ebs

Sealiner
i find it to be a awsome rod, as its a medium heavy and which allows you more control over the bait in comparrison to the mega force, the mega force is more light and to me it seems like the bait could be out of control and if you think about it a prawn bait cant be flapping here and there, as the fish will see it as artificial. just my thought, i stand to be corrected....


here is the pic of the stumpie i got
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 206

ebs

Sealiner
by the way neilg, how good is your experience with artificial lures ie gulp worms etc?

just wanted to know if there was a certain lure type suitable for most bank fish?
 

Spicy Hot Sauce

New member
Hi
I planning on going to Bilene in dec and i have a 6,6" Shimona schimiter and a Shimano Alivio 2500FB.
I dont know if it the right equipment (1st time salt water dropshotting) and what line do you guys recommend. Mia's gots a sale this weekend and hoping to complete my setup.
Thanks
 

neilg

Sealiner
ebs wrote:
by the way neilg, how good is your experience with artificial lures ie gulp worms etc?

just wanted to know if there was a certain lure type suitable for most bank fish?
The only soft plastics from Berkley that I still use is their worms, just as good as the Rapala version.

But I use it to play in the gullies and have had great fun with it, the secret is in the sauce ...

You can also look at the artificial prawns, they should be quite good. I bought a packet of prawns a long time ago but have never used it, it's not Berkley, but I have so much stuff I can't tell you what "make" they are.

Remember, slow, on the bottom

Give Bucktail jigs a try aswell.
 

ziggy

Member
I like my passionstick - but it broke on me without me putting any pressure on it - may have had a bump o something during its lifetime - fixed it - but also replaced it with Clurs 8.5ft - also a very noce rod - but a tad too long to fit in the cabin of my double cab - (the passionstick was a perfect fit!) I like the action of the clarus better - especailly the longer butt section
 

ebs

Sealiner
im very happy with my med heavy passion stick, it really perform well especially with jigs. todate i havent had any success with jigs yet, im still feeling my way around. i bought last a tub of berkely camos and 2 pkts of minnows. but no takers on it. is there any place or website i can research more about dropshotting locally in our saltwaters? as id like to see some more rigs etc?
 
Top