hi peoples what would you say is a good dropshot

ebs

Sealiner
hi peoples

what would you say is a good dropshot setup for saltwater and lagoons?

as in what rod and reel for bank fish....

im am in the process of getting me the equipment but im not sure as they all seem so flimsy and im afraid that the stick i choose might break if a biggish fish goes vas!

your assistance in the matter is highly appreciated

regards
Ebs
 

werries

Senior Member
it all depends on budget bru...
But if you stick to the tried and tested brands you dont really have to worry about the rod breaking if you fight the fish with the correct dragsetting...
My advice: get the BEST THAT YOU CAN AFFORD!!
Buying the cheapest will just have you buying again
 

neilg

Sealiner
I have caught fish on rods that cost from R 50 all the way up to the R 2000 region, they won't just break, they will break if you "overload" them

Overloading a rod is easier than most people think, but if you do your bid you should never break a rod on a fish.

The easiest solution, set your drag on your reel properly and you will never break a rod, when you pull too hard the drag will give.

Follow that rule and a rod won't break.

Good rods include Elbe, Shimano, Daiwa and others I can't remember now. The price of Shimano and Daiwa will tell you if it's good or not. The Elbe goes for around R 250-300 and is a great rod.

The higher the grade of graphite the more "fragile" it is, so stick to lower grades of graphite (the price will show that).
 

ebs

Sealiner
thanks guys, i am considering a daiwa mega force and slade 2500 combo, what do you think?
 

Shimaiwa

New member
Well I used to have a Triforce which is about the same as a megaforce but consisting of a lower grade of graphite probably, and you will find because it is probably MFA 702MRS this means that it is a 7ft 2 piece medium action with a slow tip action. The antiser on the other hand is a medium heavy action with a fast tip action. You will find it easier the control the lures with a fast action rather than a slower action tip. The antiser also feels like it has a bit more grunt in it. I also found the Triforce was not too braid friendly. But just shop around find the best prices and see what suits you.
 

ebs

Sealiner
i think im gonna run with the 7ft medium heavy passion stick and match it with the slade 2500 and fill that with kf casting braid, is that about right?
 

ebs

Sealiner
sorry guys im all new to the drop shot scene, but what is the diff betwn fireline and kf when it comes to casting braid?
 

AD97

Senior Member
Fireline is famous, it is a bonded casting braid which makes it easier/better to cast, it also flattens out the diameter. If you look closely it is flat, not round.
 

AD97

Senior Member
I think I am right, but I am no expert. Neil could answer your question better, he is a light tackle master.
 

roland

Sealiner
Nothing wrong with kingfisher braid. Im using it,12Pnd. To me it also looks flat lol. I know fireline might be better but so over rated and freaking expensive.
 

neilg

Sealiner
roland30 wrote:
Nothing wrong with kingfisher braid.
REALLY ?

My Kingfisher braid was GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE after using it once or twice.

Some notes of my stuff : (for rock and surf, both bait and artificial)

Daiwa Regal 2500 with 6lb Fireline

Daiwa Exceller Plus 3000 with 8lb Fireline

Daiwa Exceller Plus 3000 with 10lb Fireline

Shimano 20/40 with 30lb Fireline

Soron 60 with 12lb Stren

And I can't remember, I think I have Powerpro on my Oceano 4500

The Powerpro I don't use often, but have been happy with the results. I Stren I used a few times in the Transkei, have been very happy.

The Fireline I have used for years, and have never been sorry about buying it. The Line on the Exceller is about 3 years old, faded but still going very strong.

I will recommend both Fireline and Stren, both are great for casting and spinning, should last a very long time, and it's strong as can be.

I will however NEVER tell anyone to buy Kingfisher Casting Braid. They might have improved their product since I bought it, but if they want me to change my opinion then they can send me the line for free for me to play with, cause I was burnt once, and there is no way that I will spend money on it again.
 

roland

Sealiner
neilg wrote:
roland30 wrote:
Nothing wrong with kingfisher braid.
REALLY ?

My Kingfisher braid was GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE after using it once or twice.

Some notes of my stuff : (for rock and surf, both bait and artificial)

Daiwa Regal 2500 with 6lb Fireline

Daiwa Exceller Plus 3000 with 8lb Fireline

Daiwa Exceller Plus 3000 with 10lb Fireline

Shimano 20/40 with 30lb Fireline

Soron 60 with 12lb Stren

And I can't remember, I think I have Powerpro on my Oceano 4500

The Powerpro I don't use often, but have been happy with the results. I Stren I used a few times in the Transkei, have been very happy.

The Fireline I have used for years, and have never been sorry about buying it. The Line on the Exceller is about 3 years old, faded but still going very strong.

I will recommend both Fireline and Stren, both are great for casting and spinning, should last a very long time, and it's strong as can be.

I will however NEVER tell anyone to buy Kingfisher Casting Braid. They might have improved their product since I bought it, but if they want me to change my opinion then they can send me the line for free for me to play with, cause I was burnt once, and there is no way that I will spend money on it again.


ok...now you're scaring me :( what happened when you used it? did a fish break u of? why do i suddenly feel that i waisted money i didnt have lol
 

ebs

Sealiner
ok then thanks for that neilg i'll opt for the fireline then and see hoe ir goes, is there a estimate possibly on what pound i should get if i'll be targeting from stump, galjoen, dass belam and possible garrick?
 

roland

Sealiner
Its a good rod. But some guys here had some problems with it. ebs, close your eyes and get a berkley air lol.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Fireline in 8lbs is good, and if you want a little more strength then 10lbs. Don't worry, its stronger than you think ! Just set your drag properly.

Passion Stick, I LOVE IT. I have a 8ft passion stick and I have a 8ft Exceller, I use the Passion Stick more cause I prefer it above the Exceller Rod. Nice size guides, nice action, what more can you ask for ?

Kingfisher casting braid, why don't I like it, well with something like 7kg Braid I threw about 5 wind-knots (something I have never experienced up to that point - after using fireline for probably 2 years), and the braid would break for no apparent reason. Personal opinion - IT'S JUNK - if someone can prove me wrong I'll change my opinion, till then it stands. It's just a case of "we also sell a casting braid".

Stren is also a good line, and also come from Berkley, its just more expensive than Fireline. So far I'm very happy with mine, I use 12lbs on a Soron 60.

Bite the bullet and buy the fireline, you won't be sorry. It's your choice between the 300yd and the 125yd spool, I prefer the 300 yard spools.
 
Top