Hi Guys, please don't kill me, but what is the rea

devi D Gp

New member
Hi Guys, please don't kill me, but what is the reason as to why the more fishy spicy flavours work well in winter and the fruity flavours better in summer.. Is it a myth or actual facts?? im trying to understand bait approach??

For example a lake is known as a fruity lake but guys say the strategy changes in winter to more spicy fishy flavours?? how so if the fish are known to take on fruity flavours??
 

JohannM

Senior Member
I fish with Fish Meal boilies 95% of the time during winter or summer.

The fishy/Spicy = winter Fruity = summer is a myth if you ask me.

Good boilies always work.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Spray some lavender or Bergamott essentail oil in a zip loc bag - add chosen flavor - 5ml & shake.

Take 1kg chosen fruity / fishy boilies - add to bag, shake well and freeze or go fishing

Either way fishy / fruity in summer or winter works
 

Bos-Otter

New member
Here is what I suspect...firstly Carp will always need protein so HNV and High Protein Boilies will always work regardless of the season.

Carp has different feeding strategies for warm vs winter season. In the warmers months they prefer a  high carb diet as they are more active and as the demand for food is greater the become less picky. During the colder months they dont require as much carbs because the are less active and their eating therfor changes to more protein based. I personally like a good combo...fruit or corned flavour HNV boilies has delivered big carp throughout the year.

I find that what is even more important is having the right pre-feeding strategy. chucking in tons of particles or boilies during winter might not work as well as mouse trapping for example. I love winter carp fishing. The bite rate goes way down and the chances for hooking a big one is just always better!
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
Same here, I fish with fishy flavors most of the time any time of the year, and they always outperform sweet flavors. Stickybaits Krill and Vortex are excellent, as is Solar Seafood takeaway.
White chocolate has been a distant second for me over the last year.
 

Lance R

New member
Hi Devi,

It also depends on the venue. Dams with large barbel populations can be challenging when using fish flavoured boilies, especially in the summer months. The cats will take over your swim and push the carp out.

However in winter a lot of guys switch from particles to boilies at certain venues as barbel activity is far slower. Luckily You can fish Donnies all year round on any flavour boilie. If high nutritional boilies are consistenly being introduced to a venue the carp will identify them as a natural food source and will feed regularly which equates to more runs!

In colder water I would rather use oils before thick glugs/dips. Thick dips do not dissolve in cold water and the effect is lost. Just my 2 cents worth!

Good luck with Your session.
 

Beeslek

New member
I also fish spicy fishmeal baits all year round,and I always pre bait,to me that is the most important aspect.I have caught more barbel on birdfood/flavoured boilies than on the spicy fishmeal baits,on a number of different venues.I rarely fish in summer,because of too many small fish being a plague.

I no longer worry about bait or flavours,my fishy boilie catches fish everywhere.But pre baiting is the key.Last winter we baited our venue (half the size of Bottom Lake),up to 30 kg per week,didn't affect our catch rate negatively.The more we fed,the more we caught.
 
Top