Hi Guys I had the following experience with fly

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Guys

I had the following experience with flytackle. My personal fly rigs I use for stillwater flyfishing is Scott rods in a 4 and 5 weight set up. The lines I use are ridge line from Rio and also Cortland in floating and sink line. You guys will know that a setup with rod and reel and lines you look between R4-5000.00

I bought last week for the visitors at our lodge (Leeuwkloof Estate) combo sets from Ganis at R500 a full set. It is Explorer rods in 5-6 Wt loaded with Aqualine floating forward weighted line.

I was amazed at how nice this "elcheappo" line of the combo set was casting. The line is very soft and perfectly weighted for the rod. I would normally cast much further with the Ridge line but I was matching casting distance easily with the cheap line. What I liked about the cheap line is that it doesn't hold memory on the line where the ridge line needs to be stretched when it is wet and then will it lose some memory.

I just realised that maybe we are done in with the more expensive equipment and that the difference is not really that great to substantiate the cost.

What is your experience?

Tight Lines Mates

  
 

Ryan

Sealiner
Just what i was saying in the other thread about Airflo - lines.

For me there is a definative difference between a quality rod and a cheapo.

I am not a funny fisherman and much of my stuff is secondhand but I prefer the better quality equipment especially the rods.

My Humble 2c
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Ryan

I agree that the expensive rods have a difference in action and feel of quality when casting. Reels are just line holders in freshwater except if you are fishing for tigerfish or big barbel where drag would play a major role. The lines what we use are the workhorse. It is with the different prices in lines that you notice that the expensive lines is not always so much better.

As all fisherman are, we would like to have the best equipment we can afford. I realized when using the cheap combo kit that it performed the same casting distance and I would be able to catch the same fish than with the expensive rig.

I think the expensive stuff maybe let us only feel better. You feel nice driving a nice Merc but the VW will also take you to the same destination.

By the way I will never forget when I started flyfishing. We were at a lanie venue dont want to mention names. My son asked me the following question: Why do the guys only look at your rod and reel when they greet you along the dam and not into your eyes? That made me think why the kid asked.

Tight Lines
 

Ryan

Sealiner
Hehehe good one - Name brand has never worried me it's all about the feel of the long stick.....
 

tkei

Sealiner
Lines are a funny thing. Cheap lines often cast well when new, but over a fairly short space of time, they become brittle and crack, and need replacement. sometimes over time, sometimes not too long either, they get sticky and reduce casting distance. Better quality a (read higher priced) lines USUALLY last longer.
Reels, well for fresh water van said it, line holder, in salt water, expensive also usually vastly better, but you get exceptions (like everything)
Rods, I had a King fisher malachite gold class that used to cast as well as my orvis trident, or reddington, until it became a multipiece. it was a cheapy, but worked very well for a long time. Then i had a redington, 1st one was great for the 5 casts I had then a guy stood on it ont he baot,, paid the 40 quid to have it repaired (has life time quarantee, but you pay big bucks to have it fixed. The replacement identical rod was kak. it too broke in ferrule, twice, and after the 2nd break, i refused to take a replacement, and made them replace with the CPS series. very happy there. But this shows, the expensive rod not allways all its cracked up to be. could have bought plenty gold classes for the price of the repairs and been very happy with them.
 

Babyson

New member
I think I agree with tkei. I used the aquanova, airflo trucast and plenty other cheapies for a long time and was very happy with them. I now use the new airflo supple ridge line and I don't think I will ever buy a cheapie again. There is a huge difference, especially after a couple of trips like was said.

I would rather use a average rod with a great line than a great rod with a average line. (Obviously we talking trout here not yellows on the Vaal)
Having said all of that I would most definitely have the best of both worlds of a great rod with a great line, if I could afford it;)

Rob
 

Malgas

Senior Member
I've come to the same conclusion. I caught fish on a floppy diawa and a R20 reel for a long time -but it's great to upgrade eventually-what would be great is an Orvis rod with a lifetime guarentee-apparently even if you slam it in the boot which I've done more than once! In terms of trout fishing I really think that an expensive reel is a waste of time. I rather put money into a better line. After many years of fishing my lines cost about the same as my reel and rod generally.
 

Bushcat

New member
If you fish hard running species regularly, the quality products will stand out. I am refering to saltwater species here. The same mindset will apply to anything in life.

You could go mountain climbing with ski rope if you wanted to,

my answer to your topic would be, probably not, but generally yes!!! 
::cavmn
 
 

Korrie Broos

New member
For fresh water, trout and sm yellowfish, there is a difference between a casting tool and a fishing rod. For saltwater or larger flies, you might want to have a casting tool

Many fly fishers, wants to bully the fish. Hauling it in as fast as possible.

Fishing thinner tippets and softer rod can make a big difference, in deceiving, hooking and landing a fish.

As for lines, there are some really good cheap lines available.

The only problem with some is the temperature sensitivity. In very cold weather, memory becomes a problem, or very hot weather, they are too soft.

If you find a cheaper outfit that fits your pocket and delivers, buy it, use the spare cash for another fishing trip.

 

 
 

Monster

Senior Member
I agree with Ryan. Brand name is not always better however if it is a trsted brand 90% of the time the equipmet is better constructed ena engineerd. However you should always fit your casting style to your equipmet or an ultra fast rod you piad half a years salary for is nly going to dissapoint you. Cast the rod if you like it and can afford it buy it. Don't just buy any rod because it has a good brand name. If it is elcheapo it will probably not last as long but if it suits you use it.

Fly line is something to splash on but talk to the guys on the forum and at your tackle shop( make sure the guy is  flyfisherman and uses the stuff himself). I did ta couple of months agou and it saved me from making a huge mistake in line purchase. Cheap line break and can damage your rod, have stretch which messes up your cast and becomes hard and brittle messing up your distance. Thats my opinion anyway.

Reel. If you are going to play a fish with your hand get a cheap reel with lots of spools. If you are going to hunt trophy fish buy a good reel.

So buy the best you can afford and make sure it soots your tipe of fishing and get as much advice as possible from guys in the know before you buy. Sometimes you can get an awesome secondhand setup for less tha you would have piad for a crappy set.
 

Monster

Senior Member
I agree with Ryan. Brand name is not always better however if it is a trsted brand 90% of the time the equipmet is better constructed ena engineerd. However you should always fit your casting style to your equipmet or an ultra fast rod you piad half a years salary for is nly going to dissapoint you. Cast the rod if you like it and can afford it buy it. Don't just buy any rod because it has a good brand name. If it is elcheapo it will probably not last as long but if it suits you use it.

Fly line is something to splash on but talk to the guys on the forum and at your tackle shop( make sure the guy is  flyfisherman and uses the stuff himself). I did ta couple of months agou and it saved me from making a huge mistake in line purchase. Cheap line break and can damage your rod, have stretch which messes up your cast and becomes hard and brittle messing up your distance. Thats my opinion anyway.

Reel. If you are going to play a fish with your hand get a cheap reel with lots of spools. If you are going to hunt trophy fish buy a good reel.

So buy the best you can afford and make sure it soots your tipe of fishing and get as much advice as possible from guys in the know before you buy. Sometimes you can get an awesome secondhand setup for less tha you would have piad for a crappy set.
 

Monster

Senior Member
I agree with Ryan. Brand name is not always better however if it is a trsted brand 90% of the time the equipmet is better constructed ena engineerd. However you should always fit your casting style to your equipmet or an ultra fast rod you piad half a years salary for is nly going to dissapoint you. Cast the rod if you like it and can afford it buy it. Don't just buy any rod because it has a good brand name. If it is elcheapo it will probably not last as long but if it suits you use it.

Fly line is something to splash on but talk to the guys on the forum and at your tackle shop( make sure the guy is  flyfisherman and uses the stuff himself). I did ta couple of months agou and it saved me from making a huge mistake in line purchase. Cheap line break and can damage your rod, have stretch which messes up your cast and becomes hard and brittle messing up your distance. Thats my opinion anyway.

Reel. If you are going to play a fish with your hand get a cheap reel with lots of spools. If you are going to hunt trophy fish buy a good reel.

So buy the best you can afford and make sure it soots your tipe of fishing and get as much advice as possible from guys in the know before you buy. Sometimes you can get an awesome secondhand setup for less tha you would have piad for a crappy set.
 

tauruck

Sealiner
BigVan wrote:
Hi Ryan

I agree that the expensive rods have a difference in action and feel of quality when casting. Reels are just line holders in freshwater except if you are fishing for tigerfish or big barbel where drag would play a major role. The lines what we use are the workhorse. It is with the different prices in lines that you notice that the expensive lines is not always so much better.

As all fisherman are, we would like to have the best equipment we can afford. I realized when using the cheap combo kit that it performed the same casting distance and I would be able to catch the same fish than with the expensive rig.

I think the expensive stuff maybe let us only feel better. You feel nice driving a nice Merc but the VW will also take you to the same destination.

By the way I will never forget when I started flyfishing. We were at a lanie venue dont want to mention names. My son asked me the following question: Why do the guys only look at your rod and reel when they greet you along the dam and not into your eyes? That made me think why the kid asked.

Tight Lines

Van, I was at a spot in the eastern Tvl years ago and there were a bunch of dudes there wearing Cortland Fly vests (and matching tackle) but the only oke that was pulling fish was the local black guy using a pole and 6 or 8m of line.

He must have been chuckling, I know I was.
 

AviL

New member
hi Guys

I am new to the site - so firstly...HI!

I have recently taken up fly fishing so I am new to the sport. I decided to go out and buy my kit seperately instead of one of those kits made up by the shop. I decided that if I spent a little more on the outset, it would me saving some money instead of running to the shop as soon as I decided the rod or reel was not good...

I bought a Shimano 6-7 9ft6 fly rod - got it for R299, sensation reel with a "good" drag for about R160, intermed line - Aquanova for R129, etc...I spent all in all R700. I am happy that if I do change anything, it might be a diff line (floating) with a spare spool...

Hope I have made the right choices...time will tell I am sure (if someone else doesnt first)...

Avi
 

woerman

Senior Member
Cheap tackle is a funny thing.  I once bought a little Okumo 6ft finchaser combo for R99.99 which is always on our boat.  When there are not enough facy gear around it comes out.  I have found a few times that all the fish go for that rod and ignore the Shimano, Daiwa, etc.  At first i thought it was the line so I added the same laeader as the other rods.  Then I thought I was casting in a lucky spot, swopped out with a fancy rod and cast the cheapy on the other side of the boat.  The fish just follow that rod to its new location.

I have decided to put some decent line on it and and it will be used along with the fancy rods or maybe I should just leave the fancy stuff at home......
 

Korrie Broos

New member
A rod has a specific action, slow, medium, medium fast, fast ultra fast, that imparts a specific movement to the fly. You specific rod, might have the right action to impart the movement of a fleeing baitfish, injured baitfish etc.

Make sure no one steps on the tip and breaks you lucky rod. :SSS

 
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Guys

As woerman says we had a similar experience. You can have a lucky rod. We had a bass rod on the boat which my laaitie tramped on and the point broke off. I Fitted another eye on the point and from then it was his rod. Needless to say every time we drifted for grunter or bream the fish will take on this shorter rod. May all my equipment become lucky and yours too.

Cheers mates 
 
Top