Hi All I would really appreciate your help and ad

Unlimited

Sealiner
hows the bass and catfiush going there now? ive been wanting to go after work for 3 hours or so with a plattie and some spinners...
 

errant

Member
Dam in the middle of Jet park is now open for Carp fishing, chat to the guys at Ubejane tackle shop they charge a fee and you get to use their fishing deck. Dam hasn't been fished in ages with bait so the carp are hungry
 

KING.G

New member
HOWZAT FELLOW FISHERMEN

 

HOWS THE CARP AT HOMESTEAD WHAT BAIT DO YOU USE?

WANTING TO TEST IT OUT THIS WEEKEND.

ANY HELP PLS^^..
 

Hullsy

Member
whats the biggest fish to come out of dowerglen dam that you guys know about, i think there are some 10kg+ carp in there, it is a nice dam i think, i wanna try it soon
 

Fishing Palace

New member
Hi guys

i used to own the fishing shop in mercury street just down the road from homestead. i used to go fish for bass in he mornings before i opened and went with a few clients once shop closed. with sessions normally being an hour or two i didnt get to do much carp fishing but have heard of a few decent size coming out.

For the bass we used to get one or two but nothing really spectacular, the best spots we found for the bass is on the highway side by the outlet. there is a dead tree in the water with a reed bush and plenty structure in the water to the left. stand on the tree and fish the structure or straight out in front of you with the best lures being the junebug and watermelon flukes. 

for the carp i have seen good pics and heard good story of cathes in the dam but mostly late afternoon or at night. ive fished the entire stretch and have noticed that there is terrible grass and slime on the bottom and the majority of the bed being verry silty. I have tried to get acess into the scouts grounds on the opposite side of the dam but with no success.

from what i have seen on our many outings is that the majority of carp anglers like to sit near the centre and go for the reed bedson the left and right of the cove. if you have a boat of any kind ideally you would be looking to go for the floating raft on the far side in the cove where we have seen a good number of schools with decent fish over 8kg swimming casually along. the water on that side is rarely used and is undisturbed.

In regards to safety i have never had an issue and the park is normally busy right up till seven o clock in the evenings.

I hope this helps a lil and if anybody else has seen something ive missed would appreciate the info.

ps: sorry for the spelling

::tight:

 
 

wedontplay

New member
Hi

I'm new to Benoni. I've tried to fish for carp at homestead lake but no success, I'd love to hear some success stories etc. It's a really nice place to relax and have a braai... (which helps to distract you from the fact that you're not catching any fish :)

Any suggestions on where to stock up on fishing tackle etc without breaking the bank?

Thanks.
 

woofles

Member
Hi wedontplay, homestead is a very tricky dam i have never caught there myself but sat next to a few guys that were fishing and catching. they were using floaties and white dough backing. They were rowing their bait out to the opposite bank, while sitting there this guy pulled out a +-4 kg carp. According to them they also catch the smaller carp on white bread. dips they were using were fruity flavours.

Homestead is a tough dam but guys normally pre feed the area from 1 - 2 days before. becareful though of pouching.
Guys feed particles for specimen.

another elderly guy caught 2 x carp -+ 6kg on corn and worms with TCP dip
 

wedontplay

New member
Thanks Woofles

I appreciate the advice. I love the idea of specimen carp fishing as I've been a pap gooier from the start. I'll be sure to get the right equipment and then I'll try homestead again sometime soon.

I had a look at blaaupan yesterday and read a lot of negative posts on sealine about it.

Do you have any knowledge about this dam? Carp baits to use etc.

Thanks
 

woofles

Member
sorry boet no advise on blaaupan, never been there before. I often make trips to harties (meerhof or oberon), emmerentia dam, bloemhof.

Regarding a question on cheapest tackle....try western accessories in bokburg-off northrand road.

best advice i was given when i started carp fishing is go to the dams and ask the guys fishing there. They will be able to tell you if they caught, baits they used, time of day they caught - etc........also trial and error....i've been carp fishing for the past 4 years and i'm still learning.

tightlines
 

wedontplay

New member
Thanks for the advice!

I will definitely be trying some of those dams in the future.
Are you familiar with specimen carp fishing? Just curious to know if it's worth getting all that equipment or not...
There's so much out there one can buy for carp fishing and I could end up spending way too much compared to the amount of nice carp I actually catch...
 

woofles

Member
specimen is a very expensive game but worth it in the end. You tend to learn alot more about carp. specimen is aimed at those PB fish as well and most important carp care. Conventional i feel is about catching carp, anything goes.....specimen is about targeting the larger carp, out smarting the fish and enticing them to bite. Alot more work involved in specimen.

Rigs are totally different. in specimen we mainly use hair rigs which helps to better present the bait to the fish.

This is only from what i have learnt, other out there and on this site know much more about specimen. In fact if you do a search under fresh water fishing you will find lots on both conventional and specimen carp fishing.
 

zkadir

New member
wedontplay wrote:
Hi

I'm new to Benoni. I've tried to fish for carp at homestead lake but no success, I'd love to hear some success stories etc. It's a really nice place to relax and have a braai... (which helps to distract you from the fact that you're not catching any fish :)

Any suggestions on where to stock up on fishing tackle etc without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

Hi wedontplay,

welcome to Benoni. I have been to Blaauwpan, and i must say it is a very difficult dam to fish, if you do not have a bait boat. what i did realize fishing there is that worms do not work. For fishing tackle i generally go to Mia's, i get  a really good price and I generally get everything i need from them. I use Western Acc. very seldomly.

If you want a good spot we generally go to the Vaal, but for a good day out, Blaauwpan is really nice, but avoid going alone.

 

 
 

wedontplay

New member
Hi Zkadir

Thanks for the tips. I actually went looking for western acc in boksburg but couldn't find them so I ended up at Mias, nice place with plenty to choose from.

I will certainly keep security in mind when I go to blaaupan as I've read about a lot of people complain about armed robberies. I don't have a bait boat yet so will have to save some money for that too...

Some friends of mine in Springs have taken me to Aston lake and it's very busy there but still worth it cause there's lots of carp.

Have a good week further and thanks for the good advice!
 

zkadir

New member
Hi,

 

No problem, you are very welcome. anytime

 

Where is Aston Lake? can you give me some directions
 

zkadir

New member
Hi,

 

No problem, you are very welcome. anytime

 

Where is Aston Lake? can you give me some directions
 

wedontplay

New member
Hi

Aston lake is about 36 KM from Benoni. You go through springs further east. On google maps, simply search Aston lake, Springs and it will pop up. It's easy to get to from the N12 or the N17.

http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
 

zkadir

New member
wedontplay wrote:
Hi

Aston lake is about 36 KM from Benoni. You go through springs further east. On google maps, simply search Aston lake, Springs and it will pop up. It's easy to get to from the N12 or the N17.

http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Hi,

 

Sorry man, i was a bit dof, i realized that after I posted to you and found it. How is the safety there? can one go for an overnight session with no worries? How are the ablution facilities?
 

wedontplay

New member
Hi

The Safety is good. You pay R20 per person to fish and it's free for persons who don't fish. You can pitch a tent or a caravan by the water side too. They have Long-drop toilets, bring your own toilet paper. They also have a small shop at the entrance open during the day time. It gets very busy very fast on weekends so go early.
 

Renier de wet

New member
Hey, nigel dam is good, just make sure you sit at the factory side, its safer there, this dam has a tendency for long grass on the dam bed, bait wise, I've always had good results using tcp and strawberry/raspberry. They also like banana, almond and pinksweets.

The grass is a problem, your bait gets hidden. Spent 2 days there this week, had one run and lost the fish
 
Top