Hey guys, I have the blessed opportunity to visit

JFE

Senior Member
Hey guys,
I have the blessed opportunity to visit family in Dar Es Salaam from the 19th to the 25th this month. Never been to East Africa before but I do know that fishing from Zanzibar etc. is supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. But I do not have the luxury of time so guess I'll be looking for a day trip with the missus.
Has anyone been there recent and done a trip from Dar Es Salaam? The net is very limited and boy are they expensive over there! But hey, it's not like I get to do it every day, some things I guess is worth the expense if only for the T-shirt.
 
They catch marlin in the channel between the mainland and zanzibar in season, it very deep so I'm sure there must be charters.. Also apparently north there is good fishing in large river mouths for tarpon etc.. but not sure of any contact details.
 

Fin-S

Sealiner
Dr, you in the wrong ocean. There ain't no tarpon up there.
It is also a bit early for billfish, really only start in Nov.

Dar is like most big cities, pretty fished out. Best to get a charter.
Pop into the Yacht Club and hook up with one of the crews there.
If you can afford it, and if they are still there, Jason and Mady are the best.
 
Sorry my info was not 100% there.. :)
But then there are very large unknown silver fish and others in the large estauries north, specifically at Bagamoyo and Ruvu River, I have a mate who grew up there. The marlin I don't know what time of year the season is but it is El nino so who knows how that affects them. They catch tuna, wahoo and the likes just offshore at the right time of year in the channel. But ja I think the action is offshore with a charter..
 

DJP

Sealiner
I have had the privilege of doing some work in Dar and to the south of Tanzania. Took a rod with but didn't fish much. If it's your first trip rather do the touristy stuff, beautiful country and the people are really friendly. Dar like most other cities you get the city issues, but I feel safer there than in Joburg.

There are charters running from Dar, but they are quite expensive. Imo go check it out and next time book a fishing holiday, go visit on of the more remote place like Mtwara, Lindi, Kisiwa (I don't know the north).
 

DJP

Sealiner
Last time I was there in Oct 2014 there was a comp on. The caught some good wahoo and tuna.
 

Attachments

  • wahoo.jpg
    wahoo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 172

DJP

Sealiner
The yacht club is great but I think it's members only so you have to go in with a member.
 

Attachments

  • Yacht club.jpg
    Yacht club.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 170

DJP

Sealiner
This is on the southern (or eastern) side of the peninsula. Rocks have been picked pretty empty.
 

Attachments

  • Peninsula south.jpg
    Peninsula south.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 168

DJP

Sealiner
Kisiwa... still pristine but Dangote is developing a huge cement factory there so this will be a small harbour soon.I saw schools of gamefish chasing fry there, didn't have my tackle with me.
 

Attachments

  • Kisiwa.jpg
    Kisiwa.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 169

DJP

Sealiner
Last teaser, Mtwara. Last big village before you get to the Rovuma which is the border with Moz. You can also visit Mnazi Bay, fantastic place (there is a flight from Dar to Mtwara).

Zanzibar is actually two Islands, Unguja and Pemba. You should definitely take a ferry trip to Zanzibar and visit Stone Town.
 

Attachments

  • Mtwara.jpg
    Mtwara.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 168

JFE

Senior Member
Thanks for the input, appreciated. I'm fortunate enough to have family living there so I'm for this trip restrcted to Dar, found a charter online by the name of Skippers-Haven that I think I'll try and get with for a single day. The wife want to go to Zanzibar so I think there is a return trip already in the making, will check out everything this time round though.
 

Sarasin3

New member
Did you take advantage of the cheap plane tickets to Tanz?

My wife asked me last week if I wanted to go.

Was like R4500 return for 2 tickets....
 

JFE

Senior Member
DJP wrote:
So JFE... did you go fish?

Hi DJP, unfortunately not, was too expensive. They charged US $800 for a day or $400 for half day (4 hours) and then they stay close to shore. Al that did not seem to fit the bill. Went to Zanzibar for an overnight instead.

We flew from Qatar (where we currently stay) but those are seriously good prices from SA return!
 

andriesyssel

Senior Member
I went on a fishing trip when I was there, the locals organised it for me.I will never forget it, small boat with five horsepower motor, five meter swell and holding your rod with a rappala swimming. No life jackets. I got three tunas that day and had to give one to the chief. It cost me R1500.
 

DJP

Sealiner
JFE that's a bit of a rip off I agree.

I think Andries did it the correct way, go wing it with the locals, sounds like a great experience... most of all because you survived.

 
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
I did the same when I was on holiday in Zanz with my wife in 2006.
Leaky boat with a small engine, rusty old rapala and old game rod. I used the file on my Leatherman to sharpen the hooks on the lure.

Got a spanish mackerel and some type of kingfish, both around 10kg.
Was a fun trip but hairy when the boat starts to take on water and the crew frantically bucket the water out.

If I ever go there again I'll go for the $800/day gamefish option. Walked past one of those operators at end of day's fishing and they had sailies and tuna galore. Pity they killed all of it
 
Top