Help Saldanha

GHO

New member
I need some help from you Cape Town salties... I'm currently strickly fresh water and I haven't been in the sea with a hook in about 30 years.

I'm going to Saldanha next week for the bi annual family vacation and want to take the kids fishing. I know you are all dying to tell me to go to Langebaan lagoon, but I want to just trap down to the beach from the house we're renting and dip a line so please bare with me.

I want to let the kids (4 and 9) catch fish... I will be gooing a line in too but the primary purpose will be for them to have some fun so the target will be stuff like Strepies and Klipvis off the harbour wall. They will be using a 8ft and 9ft Okuma FinChaser combo. I need advise on the following:

  • what breaking strain line to use[/*]
  • what rig (just a standard paternoster?)[/*]
  • what size sinkers[/*]
  • what size hooks[/*]
  • what bait[/*]
Be gentle ouens... I'll be expanding my kit in the salt direction next year then you ouens can tell me to go bos for the big ones... but for now... lets just let the pikkies have some fun ... LOL
 

Reefman

Sealiner
GHO, you just have to get them a Sabiki jig... tiny rig with 5 or 6 hooks and "fly"-like feathers on them... works like a bomb for bait fish. If they don't catch with this, then lob a few tiny pieces of prawn on each hook, or even a piece of sard and you're gonna have fun for sure!

Search for SABIKI.. there are pics and lots of advice on the use of them in that thread.
 

GHO

New member
Thanks boet... the sales man at the local told me to get them but I thought he was talking bull... I'll buy a couple on the weekend.

What would you suggest for me off the same wall while they're having fun? I don't really mind if I catch or not but will off course be casting much further and hoping... just hoping... catching something will off course also inspire me to buy the sea kit much quicker ;-)
 

dalkill

Member
Saldanha area is also know to produce nice stumps like langebaan.

But this time of year, it's up to your fairy fishmother if she grants you some. if you gonna be there a couple of days and plan to make a chuck and hour or so every day, I think you should at least get one or two nice ones.

So if you keen , pump some prawn at langebaan, then keep them fresh like suggested on another thread, and maybe you might even hook into some kob as well. If the prawn magic is not up to scratch , try chucking some sards. Maybe a ray or two out there as well
 

Mantis

Senior Member
you actually need very little. 1/0 hooks (for yourself) and no.12 for the kids, small 1 or 2 ounce sinkers, a couple of of small swivels, use very light line 10pound should be more than ample. rather spend some money on a cheap prawn pump. if you have a nice fresh prawn on light line with a 1/0 hook you can catch just about anything that will be swimming in that area...enjoy bru. 
 

GHO

New member
Thanks guys... I will definately try to make it a daily thing... and I hope to at least report back on some kind of catch.
 

scorpion

Senior Member
hi mate, saldanha harbour has a few resident stumpies so you will need prawn which can be pumped at the harbour just before you enter there is a little bay, you can pump there on low water. when the water start rolling in for high tide it's game on on the same spot. fish lite, 10pound line 1oz or 2oz if you looking for a little distance.
 

scorpion

Senior Member
the garage was not alarmed, so they wont pay. pulling out all the stops to get my hands on a saltist 40. looks like my credit card will take a hit
 

GHO

New member
Scorpion... thanks boet... do I need fresh prawn or can I buy some at the local tackle shop? I'm a freshy so I wouldn't want to splash out on a praw pump and such if I don't have to... Also... what can you tell me about the beach... there close to the rock that looks like a whale coming out of the water.
 

leonard williams

Senior Member
bru just put some small hooks on the line and drop them down with some fresh cracker on them and you gonna get those klip visiies and some hotentot aswell
 

scorpion

Senior Member
illegal to buy sandprawn, only way is to pump. blackmussel is just as good, go to the wreck in langebaan, the whole thing is covered in black mussel. while u are in langebaan, there is a tackle shop called fishing specialist, get some redbait and white muscle from them, maybe some pilchards as well. mix the black mussel with the whitemussel. this will get the strepies, steentjies and small stumps on the bite. ps a blackspot bream might also be on the cards.
 

crabman

New member
GHO,

The bay in the harbour is very good for big dog fish. When I fish there, my kid (5) enjoys himself with the dog fish along the side. You can also pump prawn/blood worm in front of the Saldahna Beach restort. Must go early gets a bit crowded later.

Another nice spot is pass the bay in the harbour, you will get a gravel road which allows fishing by the mussel banks. Some good fish are produced there.
 

dalkill

Member
scorps, you been denied by the insurance as well.

Three anglers, three claims, nothing but hassels. WHy do we pay?
 

Mantis

Senior Member
dalkill, scorps, once again i'm going to tell you this: USE MOMENTUM. crikey they even paid for my rod when it blew off the roof racks and bust into 5 pieces. you are automatically insured up to R1500 per rod, reel, etc without the need to specify anything. they are leagues ahead in terms of service, rates etc. honestly, they are the industry leaders. both of you were witness to me taking on ESA when their service sucked big time, so ask yourself just how incredible Momentum have to be for me to sing their praises so highly! mail me and i'll pass on the details of my contact there. Even Vrottie is raging about how good they are. trust me on this one, fishing tackle is too important to entrust the insurance thereof to anything less than the best!
 
Hey guys....being in the financial advisory field i can tell your'll that that if u wanna cover your fishing kit u gotta specify it!!! Unfortunately if u dont then they not gonna reimburse you because most short term covers have a limit on unspecified general items off approx 2k..so best advice..find those policy shedules and start checking your excesses and exclusions....

lets the consumer beware!..
 

GHO

New member
I'm isured through Budget and they were extremely flexible... I have up to R6000 unspecified portible posessions so I've only had to specify stuff like my Laptop and Camera equipment... and no broker to bullsh.. you out of your money, everything done over the phone and everything captured on digital recording incase there is a dispute later... and they rocked price wise :clap12
 

Wayne

Sealiner
GHO,

You got some good advice on where to go..from the guys here I cant help you as they have given you all the answers that I would have,all I can say is where ever you going to go fish make sure its safe for the kids,I do this all the time if the spot looks a bit suspect then I will rather ride around and find a safer spot to go,especilly with the kids in tow...  have a good trip and tight lines dude...
 
Top