Has you probably seen on my previous reports I rec

fedu

Sealiner
nicos wrote:
Hi Fedu,

What an excellent report - again! The carapau vermelho looks suspiciously like Rosy Jobfish (Pristipomoides filamentosus) that we get in the Indian ocean. Maybe they are somehow related. I post a pic of a Rosy I caught in Moz a week or so ago below.

 

./n

Nicos,

The 3rd one might be "Carapau do Rei" or "Carapau Inglês", Atlantic rubyfish in english

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=3562

And yes the 2nd one is Bearded brotula

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=486
 

fedu

Sealiner
tremosso wrote:
ignatius wrote:
Great report, awsome photos.
Great fun, catching the smaller species.
Sjoe, I can only dream of those AJ.
Fedu, did you fish old marks or did you find a previously unmarked spot.

Naas I'm a new guy in the Luanda boat club but I keep seeing all those guys just fishing the same spots, trying to steal eachother information and detonating whatever good fishing grounds they find.

This boat seems to be like the Enterprise.

Just a quick word about these guys that we found 60 miles South that with a small wooden boat and a little 40HP Yamaha 2 strokes travel this distances.

Also from Luanda leaving from Samba here they were after kwanza river stream without any land reference to guide them and manually with a line and sinker sounding for rocky bottoms.


1zb9hdu.jpg



Myself I just try doing my homework and spend some time in the water searching for other spots.


11vt8g6.jpg



FTF, still searching for the spot where AJs are fat but also long :)
 

ignatius

Sealiner
Fedu, are those spots being regular fished by the locals.
Is it possible to still find unfished spots, only known by yourself.
 

fedu

Sealiner
The problem is Luanda.

When you stop seeing land locals are not the bigger problem.

Angola has got a very small coastal shelf that means that most of the fishable spots you can get a land reference what local fisherman without any kind of gps use for placing their boats.

There are still some good spots around on deeper waters.

I think Julio was refering not about the locals but about sport fisherman that do not spend time trying to find fish they want to have it given to them.

Let me tell you something that happened to me some weeks ago on a know spot.

After going north to Praia Rosa middle of the morning I came south to a place we know has petroleo got there around 11 o'clock in the morning.

After arriving I saw another "sport" boat, a blue one, bottom fishing several km away, and though to myself they don't know the spot just recieved a GPS point and could not even program it properly on the GPS.

Started doing my drifts over the spot and after a couple minutes saw the guys at the blue boat moving into my direction and looking at my drift to try figure out exactly where I was fishing.

I had no problem with that, nowdays it's a public spot and has been destroyed by this same kind of people.

Kept doing my drifts and then sudently the guys came in waited for my drift to move from the spot sayd hello and anchored on top of the spot I was fishing!!!!!!

Imagine that, not only they did not knew where it was exactly but they also intentionally stopped me from doing my fishing.

They could have drifted with me and we could share the spot, no problem, but no...

And this guys call themselves "sport" fisherman...


This Sunday I was at one of my southern spots and then sudently I saw a blue boat speeding in my direction with a guy on bow near the anchor compartment.

Yep, the same one, I do never anchor (I don't use bait, artificials only) so I slowly engadged my motors I pretended I was trolling...


Moved out of the spot a few km south and looked for a couple of minutes while they tried to sound around near the area where I had been...

Laughed and went 20 miles south to find new areas, found local fisherman that were more civilized than this guys..

I call them "VAMPIRES".


P.S. - That know spot "petroleo" I fished it extensively with artificials for almost 2 years, the momment someone at the club revealed where we were fishing you started seeing +5 boats at the spot all day long, there is not a single fish there anymore.
 

ignatius

Sealiner
Sad day, when that happens, same thing happens at our coast, that is why it is so nice to explore Angola and fish in places where not a lot of folks are.
Most visitors go south of Namibe, we prefer north.
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
Ahoi Fernando,

Admittedly, I have tried Petroleiro five times in this cold season alone... every time the screen shows me fish en masse. What happens then is a mystery: I drop onto the wreck and jig in vain. Next drop and the iron hooks into some railing or sueprstructure and I loose it. My irons alone should have decorated the wreck like a christmas tree by now. All day the fish see these gems dangling in front of their faces... so I understand now, that they just cannot be fooled anymore by the artificials... chchch.

I have been starting my whale watching there the past two weekends, so I had time to see the other two - five boats jigging over structure in the vicinity.

For what it's worth, I can see the point of the "vampires": It's easier to copy, than to invent and develop. But also copying takes talent, insight and respect for the creature to allow a sustainable harvest.

Just leaving port and trying to keep up with a boat with prooven success like SPEEDY... that's simply opportunism and will fail anyways, because SPEEDY is quicker than any other boat in the club but two.

Concerning the reefs and ledges, rocks and wrecks, I full subscribe to your anger: Everybody please find your own GPS spots and harvest sensibly. That takes time and will humble even the greediest "meat" makers in our clubs.

For the Marlin and Sailfish competitions I cannot understand, why giving away a position should be treason... the tides, currents, wind, rips and upwelling make such info obsolete within the hour given our current flowing at 2 to 3 knots.

I still just shake my head over the hopefulls, that wanted to play the copy game in Lobito on the third day of competition: We had 3 boats on our heels when leaving the Marina...:fbash

So we choose to stop at the first pod of dolfins and stop to take fotos...::S

That was considered a total waste of time and so our "shaddows" quickly went on their way... and we took off in our direction to find the rips and temp breaks of the past day...

Have a nice day, All.
 

fedu

Sealiner
Trolling for non bottom structure oriented fish doesn't post a problem on "vampiring" spots.

Bottom structure oriented fish if not migratory are very fragile, sustainable harvest or release must be done.

One of the reasons you don't see me doing the same areas week after week is exactly that, I prefer moving, do something different instead.

My fish finder does not show a single fish above the "petroleo" wreck, just smallish fish laying on the bottom.

Don't think it's a problem with my fish finder it shows fish everywhere else, that makes me think it has nothing to do with artificials, the guys that use handline and bait are geting 4 or 5 small "cachucho" on a day fishing there.

That can only mean it was blown out of all it's fish.

Not saying it was only the "so called sport" anglers but the fact that they got it for free makes them careless and when they see a commercial or local on the vicinity they don't move to try to avoid detection, that means first the local fisherman now know the exact spot and worst than that bottom neting ships get curious.

Last time I heard it was packed with "sport", locals and then sudently "arrastão" came and destroyed the rest.

My problem with the "blue boat" is that not only they are vampires but on top of that they have no respect whatsoever for others, imagine you are drifing over a spot and sudently handline and bait comes and instead of power anchoring they anchor on the spot you are fishing.

I have no consideration for this Luanda bottom handline "sport fisherman" (with one or two exceptions), most of them don't even know how to fish properly, take away their anchor and the spot the friend gave them the mark and they are lost.

P.S. - Lot's of  my initial general spots I also received them for free, but quickly learnt to try preserve them, petroleo wreck is know for many years but almost no one used to fish there anymore.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
nice report and great variety of fish Fedu, well done once again

As for you fish, your guess is as good as mine! HAHA

Nicos - your first fish isnt a Rosyjobfish, its a RUSTY jobfish (aphareus rutilans)

I agree with your comment on the ruby snapper, also the first thing that I thought of
 

fedu

Sealiner
aquadementia wrote:
.....

As for you fish, your guess is as good as mine! HAHA

Nicos - your first fish isnt a Rosyjobfish, its a RUSTY jobfish (aphareus rutilans)

I agree with your comment on the ruby snapper, also the first thing that I thought of

Bummer, does that mean you are quiting your, eagle eye, expert, fish id job ?

:SSS
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
Ahoi Cpt Fernando,

seems we have an intrusion of 23°C coming down the coast somewhat 30nm offshore. The "glitch" extends beyond Cape Paleirinhas already.

Saturday I have an invitation to go with one of Oscar's boats to Pink Beach... to close the season there with a couple of Corvina for the next Ceviche.:wfish

 

But how about the weekend after? When is your new rig expected in LAD? My friend Erwin works in Block 3 and confirms that they start seing good tuna and the first wahoo this season...

 
 

tackle whore

Senior Member
nice to see the jigs getting a work out fernando the others with your acid wrapped 150 synit are leaving to you monday .
 

fedu

Sealiner
tackle whore wrote:
nice to see the jigs getting a work out fernando the others with your acid wrapped 150 synit are leaving to you monday .

Just imagine this medium size AJs with a 150g rod, 45 minutes fights!!!!!!!!!!


The other guys at the boat are not going to like it but I WILL LOVE IT!!!

Two AJs and I will be ready for the shower ::S::S::S
 
Fedu

Good to see some amber action.

 Did you catch them far off shore. You must have a good finder. On my last trip to Meva (April) I could not find spots deeper than 180 meters on my Garmin 160 even though I marked promising spots from Google on my GPS. You still need to fine tune the spots with the finder. We than resolved to fishing spots from 180 meters and shallower and needles to say most features showing baitfish delivered ambers. Heaps of them (5-20kg) and even some big ones (30+kg) that we lost to the tax man...

What is your opinion...are there bigger ambers at the 200+meter depth further off shore. I caught one amber of about 15kg about 50 meters of the cliff face in the Catara area.

The next thing I will buy is a good finder
 

Attachments

  • Amber 4-16-2010_005.jpg
    Amber 4-16-2010_005.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 92

fedu

Sealiner
I do not believe in schools of ambers more than 110 meters deep, but i might be wrong.

Literature says they usually hang on up to 80 meters deep, I've dived and saw small schools on has low has 15 meters.

Here in Luanda the big schools are usually from 80 to 100 meters deep, I think the deepest I've found them was on a steep fall and they were not more than 110/120 meters deep suspendend of the floor.


The odd one you might find in deeper waters but in the middle of the water column.

Where you go I would focus on 60 to 110 meter deep.

The ones I got South were around the 60/80 meters deep water.

What I think is that every school as an average size and if you want bigger either you find another school or you are lucky to target the odd solitary one.

Just theory, my biggest up until know was around 30Kg, and that is allready a big amber.

This was around the same lenght of mine caught also in one of our jigging trips.

9kz32w.jpg


But if you notice is not as fat as the ones I got last weekend just longer, I don't usually weight them.

A good sonar is essencial for regular jigging results, here is a spot 105 meters deep and that thing above the "hill" are Amberjacks


14107io.jpg



Wreckfish is another story, those I believe you will eventually find even bigger ones at +200 meters deep but up until now the 100/150 mark has been very promissing.
 
Good fish

I agree with you. The 60-80 meter depth with good features was the most productive on our trip as well

The one's you caught on the last trip was really fat. Did you keep one...? If you did, what was in it's stomach?
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Fedu,

Any chance of you getting a transfer to Senegal; that fat AJ is one of the best looking fish that i have seen - awesome fishing mate.
 
Top