Guys, after last nights episode of ESA I am even m

GENO77

New member
Guys, after last nights episode of ESA I am even more confused. How does one tell these two species apart? Is it only the dorsal fin or is there more than one way that one can distinguish between them.

Please can you help.
 

Bliksem

Senior Member
In the Jan/Feb issue of SKI-BOAT magazine is a scientific article by Brian Rapson and Bruce Mann describing the differences between the three main species of Seriola found in our waters, i.e.: Seriola dumerili, S. rivoliana and S. lalandi. 
 

Craig.fish

New member
Watch out for next weeks ESA show where we have Bruce Mann from ORI going on about how to tell the difference between the two
 

GENO77

New member
Thanx for the info guys.

It looks a lot easier to id them in " theory " than it is on a boat with one single specimen with nothing to compare it with.

Will def watch next weeks program.
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
If I understand correct...

This is a greater amber jack

P1000833.jpg


Caught with Fedu on the West Coast of Africa (Angola)

Oh, look how hard he took that jig... he bend it propper...
 

Jouster

New member
Hi

NOt sure if this thread is still running but after the ESA program on fishing at Pandane I remained as confused as the ESA Pro's about what the identification of amberjack and tropical yellow tail.  They said the right things about how to distinguish, but I think they made some erroneous classifications. 

I believe I have the answer with explicit examples in two photos I took while at Ponta last week where we targeted ambers.  I only saw a recorded version of ESA yesterday and it got me thinking.  I checked out my photo's and got quite a surprise.

We thought we had caught two ambers, but that is not the case, that is clear in the photo's.  Forgetting the colour differences (one was caught quite a few hours after the other, you can see that one has the tassle extension to the dorsal fin, as well as longer bottom fins - that must be the yellow, the other (right) the amber.

Any comments guys? 
 

Attachments

  • aj2.JPG
    aj2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 213

Jouster

New member
Second photo below.

This manner of fishing can get quite expensive.  Got trashed by sharks at Ponta, lost many jigs at ove R200 a pop at the local tackle shop.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 213

Jouster

New member
Second photo below.

This manner of fishing can get quite expensive.  Got trashed by sharks at Ponta, lost many jigs at ove R200 a pop at the local tackle shop.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 213

Jouster

New member
Hi Hooker

Yeah, finally a positive comment. THis was my first post on Sealine and i was wondering if I did the right thing by joining when someone thought it proper to jibe me about not releasing my fish - looking at his logo, I was wondering what planet he comes from!  Of course we release, just see my best catch on my profile, but obviously not everything - who does!!

The AJ are vol-op at Ponta, you just have to know where to look.  Problem is the sharks took 80% of the catch as its a long way to haul it up. 

Go out direct from Ponta and intersect the SA border line at the 82meter mark.  There is a ledge there that drops to 92 meters. 

Cheers, let me know when you get one.

 

 
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Jouster - Welcome mate, and some nice AJ's/Tropical Yellowtail ( WHo knows if we will ever figure which are which! :)
But great to see some great catches on Jigs here from a new member like yourself.

I think Tauruck's comment " so much for catch and release" was in response to the pic of the AJ that had been "taxed" by the sharks, not to do with you keeping any fish... I know Tauruck well, and believe me, the last thing he is guiloty of is judging others.... So please don't hesitate to post more pictures of your great catches!!

Thanks again and welcome to the Sealine Family!
 

fedu

Sealiner
I think it might be a "Seriolina nigrofasciata"

Also know has "Blackbanded trevally"

http://www.fishbase.gr/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=1962

82626_large.jpg
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Hey Fedu,

I think you may be right, so now i just need to catch a Dumerili for four of a kind; dumerili, lalandi, rivoliana and now negro fasciata!(or if i go to OZ i can get a straight with the seriola hippos)
 

fedu

Sealiner
blaasoppie#1 wrote:
Hey Fedu,

I think you may be right, so now i just need to catch a Dumerili for four of a kind; dumerili, lalandi, rivoliana and now negro fasciata!(or if i go to OZ i can get a straight with the seriola hippos)
You are certanly our AJ species King!! :)
 
Top