fly fishing tackle

4kolfish

New member
hi guys.

just curious on whats your take on bamboo and spey rods.do you have any?where do you use it? would you like to get a spey or bamboo rod?

just making conversation?

:fishn
 

Mangrove Jack

New member
Hi There,

Yep, I have two handed rods (spey rods) in both six and eight weights. These are used for spey casting and skagit casting. They are used in Alaska where I will be fishing for steelhead, silver, sockeye and chum salmon in August. I am also experimenting with them for salt water fishing.

My brother and I learnt to flyfish with a bamboo rod inherited from our grandfather in the mid ,60s. Some folks love them and still use them....I feel they are like vintage motor cars....great to look at, made by craftsmen and the result of a dying art but collected and used by few.....

Personally I prefer modern high performance fly rods which enhance my fishing experience.....

Rgds

MJ

 
 

4kolfish

New member
thats cool man, ive casted a bamboo rod before made in 1958, like you say its like a vintage car.didnt enjoy it that much.im really looking at getting myself a spey rod soon. where did you get yours? what kind you got?what you suggest?

Alaska, nice!! hope you bring lots of pics back....
 

Mangrove Jack

New member
Hi There,

There is a new generation of rods called switch rods. These rods can be used as single or double handed rods. If I were to buy one and only one I would look at a 6wt 11ft rod. Basically all they have done is taken a single handed rod of 11ft and put a longer butt on it.

If you have money to spend I believe that the Sage 11ft Z-Axis switch rod is the best you can buy. G Loomis also have fantastic rods. More affordable are the Reddingtons which are also very good.

TFO make a conversion kit. I think it is made for their TICR and definitely for their TICRX range of rods. It is a kit made up of a but section and first section which can be used with the 3 top sections of their single handed rods.(4pc). They advertise it as been suited to their 7 & 8 wt but I have used it with the 8wt and the 6wt. Works  great.

I do not believe that you will be able to purchase a double handed or Switch rod in SA, I might be wrong but I think you will have to place a special order.

Rgds,

MJ

 

 
 
Top