Fishing with Family

Dorado75

Sealiner
How many guys go fishing with family members or take family members out to sea with them and what experiences do you have?

I know of father/ sons that just cant fish together because it turns out to a war at sea, has anyone else experienced this? I guess that i fall into this category!
 

kirk

Senior Member
Hi dorado

fishing in Kenya with my dad I had the same problem , cant explain it and i love the guy suppose we had different agendas , perhaps one of us did not move fast enough  to react to a strike etc .. etc .  It boils down to too many Captains on the boat - so respect the Captains choice of where to fish and when its your turn to skipper the role reverses

my 2c
 

Greenhorn

Senior Member
Family fishing....now that is why I fish. My father, my brother and I fish together all the time. That is the only crew thats allowed on the boat actually and never have we really had war at sea. We enjoy the time together just to much.
 

Freedom1

Senior Member
I fish on Freedom 1 with my mad brother, Alan, all the time and we have a great time.... Argue... No. as the roles are clearly defined....
When he skippers, I shut up and respect the decisions ... Visa versa as well.
Aha .... This even applies when one of my sons skipper, we never debate or hassle but follow.

The only time we differ is when I want to return early and Alan believes that HE has to lock the sea gates and ALWAYS come in last... Greedy to fish!....
 

Redhawk

Senior Member
Out on the boat regularly with my wife and son! Great Fun! My Dad sometimes joins as well, good to fish with the old man!
 

Decker

Senior Member
JA, our fixed crew is myself, Dad and brother with his son and/or my sister's son and a guest. We have loads of fun and rarely go out if one cant make it. The only problems we have on board is not catching any fish :(...."apparently" the trip together out on the sea makes it all worth it ;-)
My wife came with a few times, but quit a few years ago after hooking and fighting the bottom of the ocean... twice! Both times we all thought she had a 50kg tail on!
 
My family fish with me often! It's a great way to spend time together. My boet and Ballie live in Jo'burg so when they are on the boat, it's a joll.

My daughter making us lunch! Lekker boerie rolls.
 

Attachments

  • braai.JPG
    braai.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 197

leroyd

New member
My wife started fishing last year, before that she would just lie and read on the boat or tan in the sun.

We were on holiday for 2 weeks in Langebaan (April/May) and I bought an extra rod and reel for her , thinking she would'nt use it much and I'ld have some extra fishing gear, but once she caught her 1st Stumpnose - she was hooked.

In fact, on our holiday count she landed more fish than me, but at least I caught my 1st ELF ::S

We're both pretty much amateurs, but we enjoy it immensely - even when the fish aren't biting. I'd rather sit doing nothing, in my boat, out on the water - than sit in front of a TV basically also doing nothing, and having her enjoy it as well, means I can stay out on the water much longer and much more often.
 

tkei

Sealiner
I fish with 2 brothers, dad and brotherin law regularly. BIL inexperienced, but tries his best. ends up in knots etc, but we all started that way at some pt. We have the odd word at eachother, and have had WW3 between 3 brothers just before launching before. 1/2hr cool off and 3 grumpy boets went to sea. laughed about it when out there.
The great thing about brothers is we can laught it off. unfortunately the female of our species, dont manage this quite as well.

have fished with grandfathers, my mother etc and never had too many busty off. Suppose we all love fishing too much and its a great way to spend time together.
 

tkei

Sealiner
I fish with 2 brothers, dad and brotherin law regularly. BIL inexperienced, but tries his best. ends up in knots etc, but we all started that way at some pt. We have the odd word at eachother, and have had WW3 between 3 brothers just before launching before. 1/2hr cool off and 3 grumpy boets went to sea. laughed about it when out there.
The great thing about brothers is we can laught it off. unfortunately the female of our species, dont manage this quite as well.

have fished with grandfathers, my mother etc and never had too many busty off. Suppose we all love fishing too much and its a great way to spend time together.
 

Hammertime

Sealiner
Best moments in my life.
Putting my youngest son on his first small tuna.
My daughter on her first yellowtail.

My elsdest on his first yellowin of 55kg and putting my dad on his first yellowfin of 60 plus kg.

But what tops it all off is just the quality time together.

I do have major episodes with my eldest son and my old man though. Purely because I expect them to do something before I should have to ask. I often expect their experience to take over and forget that out of respect they wait to be asked. But we all chuckle about it after.
 

Beerracuda

Senior Member
I fish with my old man 99% of the time. Up until the age of 16 I went where he went. Now he goes where I go and is happy to sit in the co-pilots chair. Have no idea why it has ended up that way but it just has. We have clearly defined rolls which I think paramount for happy and squabble free fishing trips.

Our rolls and responsibilities are split into 2 categories. First category is: Everything needed to get the boat from land to the sea (includes boat maintenance, boat registration, safety equipment, 4x4 maintenance and license, boat seaworthiness, trailer maintenance and license, engine maintenance etc. Since the boat belongs to him and it stays at his place, he's happy to fulfill cat. 1 requirements.

Category 2 is everything needed to operate the boat effectively out at see (includes all fishing equipment, gps/plotter and fish finder, storage and organising of waypoints, boat fuel, fishing licenses, competitions, crew etc.)

So far it has worked out very well and our fishing has gone from strength to strength. The boat has never had to stay at home due to poor maintenance and we seldom come back without fish.
 

Attachments

  • Yellowtail caught on Saturday.JPG
    Yellowtail caught on Saturday.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 161

Arrie D

Senior Member
Took my 4 year old son and 5 year old daughter for there first trip on the big blue sea on Saturday afternoon.

Wife and I launched successfully and had a great trip around Robben just for the fun.

Plenty of birds working, seals playing and penguins all over - kids are hooked.

Next time some rods are going along !!  


Arno
 

t-time

Senior Member
There is always some kind of episode on our boat. never a dull moment. Mainly because i am the skipper and only 18 years old and then have my dad on board. So there is always conflict about decision making but i lay it down quite firmly though.
I always seem to be having a go at the crew about things not being done properly, and since im most of the time younger than them, i have to be a bit reserved even though it can be frustrating.
good times
 

Hammertime

Sealiner
The conflict will fade as the decisions you make start to yield results.
On my boat no one asks about the where to and why. I must admitt that when Miles asks me where do you think, I feel awkward. I'm from the school of is skipper says we run 38 miles west. We run 38 miles west no questions.

But the cross questioning will fade as you prove to your crew that you know your stuff and that only comes with time. But it is a great learning curve full of adventure.
 

t-time

Senior Member
Hammertime wrote:
The conflict will fade as the decisions you make start to yield results.
On my boat no one asks about the where to and why. I must admitt that when Miles asks me where do you think, I feel awkward. I'm from the school of is skipper says we run 38 miles west. We run 38 miles west no questions.

But the cross questioning will fade as you prove to your crew that you know your stuff and that only comes with time. But it is a great learning curve full of adventure.
That is very true. In the beginning i hardly trusted myself.
But now i feel confident in my ability to put the guys onto fish, and i do. Most of the questioning comes in when they wanna go home when its quiet and i wanna sit it  out cos of a few details a have picked up about when the fish could possibly come up. Had a few times when i ran home for them and heard of the fish coming up later, wasnt a very happy camper.
The crew listens to me, just my dad and i always seem to be going at it, i guess its just a personality clash, but its all good fun.
 

H-Man

New member
My Dad is my official crew, then my Brother. Dad is 71, but still game. Usually we make stories - like the day only Dad caught Chokka. Bizzare - My brother managed 1, I lost a huge one at the side, and he just filled a bucket! We still don't hear the end of that one. Dad has his seat up front, and is always the 1st ready to go when the boat is prepped (Can't seem to find him at boat washing time though) The running commentary of the 3 "boys" on the boat will remain with me till the day I die.

When we see whales, somebody drops something over the side, gets splashed, catches a fish, its all just great.

When catching Chokka, a good size one squirted a jet of water up the leg on Dad's shorts. I nearly fell off the boat laughing.

My brother gaffed my 1st yellowtail I caught off my boat, my Dad caught his 1st yellowtail off my boat. My brother his 1st snoek. All those fun memories.

What more can you ask for?

The next gereration, my 2 daughters of 3 and 6, have both been out to see the odd seal and birds close inshore (100m from the slip) They to love it, and even the odd bit of spray gets screams of laughter going....

again what more can you ask for?

I only wish I had bought a boat sooner.............
 
Top