evening all I am finally fully equipped and start

Guy Logan

New member
Awesome thread guys

any news lately on the vetchies area,I'm usually out there often,was out there about 2 weeks ago,plenty mozzies around,put some out and got 2 grey sharks around 15/20kilos ,some nice shad and picked up a 3kilo snoek on a duplex.So any updates on the area? hopefully see you guys out there soon. tight lines boys

G
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
Heard the guys smashed the snoek there about a week back. Guys catching their bag of up to ten snoek. But that happens maybe one day a year at vetchies. For the next 364 days of the year this will be your update:

Small mossies, the odd mackeral, loads of small extrenely undersize shad, the odd shark or ray will be caught. On the rare, very rare occassion, a size shad of 30.01cm (after vigorous stretching to reach size) will be taken.
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
I was at Vidal Saturday morning. I blanked - not a single touch all day. Loads of boats came in with empty hatches. Only a couple small couta came out - 5kg range and 1 dorado. I haven't heard any news from the Winkle comp or from anyone else. Seems awefully quiet!
 

Guy Logan

New member
there was an epic bonnie smash of vetchies today,just north of the harbor mouth. The water was foaming with 30-50cm bonnies,it was shot for shot. I also managed a snoek earlier in the morning in the same area and lost another mid fight. Was a good around day,nothing big but extremely fun.

G
 

Guy Logan

New member
there was an epic bonnie smash of vetches today,just north of the harbor mouth. The wear was foaming with 30-50cm bones,it was shot for shot. I also managed a snoek earlier in the morning in the same area and lost another mid fight. Was a good around day,nothing big but extremely fun.

G
 

Guy Logan

New member
there was an epic bonnie smash of vetches today,just north of the harbor mouth. The water was foaming with 30-50cm bones,it was shot for shot. I also managed a snoek earlier in the morning in the same area and lost another mid fight. Was a good around day,nothing big but extremely fun.

G
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
Nice!! That's what I like to hear. I heard nothing lugs and beachwood was dead yesterday. Very few came out further north - Seabelle etc.

Strangely quiet, maybe the weekend will be better.
 

Guy Logan

New member
Really? I'm surprised! it seemed like it as going to be a good day. Hopefully the weather will clear up by this weekend and the fish hungry.

G
 

Mooch

New member
Hey Guys.. Hope you all are well? Little Moochie has been missing in action for some time now.. Just bought a house, and spent almost a year doing it up, etc... Sold my Mazda 323 with my roof racks, so didn't have any wheels to take my ski to the beach.. Just bought a Nissan bakkie, picking it up on the 2nd Jan.

Busy repairing rods, sorting out my tackle, polishing my ski, etc.. at the moment. Need to get out soon.

ok... a quick update on where i left off last year... ok... So I've given up on catching shad and the like. I really wanna hook into a snoek or similar.. Even a small one will be fine... I bought snoek traces last yr and filleted my Sards as instructed, tied them and everything , but I blanked and blanked each trip. I know i will eventually hit it... but it the blanking seems to have dampened my spirits a wee bit. Maybe a early morning out for some good old shad will get me into the groove again? But.... I'm gonna carry on trawling. The funny thing is, that when i trawl at Beachwood or Vetchies, none of the guys seem to be catching as well!!?? Perhaps they catch when I'm not there? Dunno... But i'm amped to get back out and try again. I've never had a reel go ZZZZZZZZZ yet.... Just the odd shad grabbing my bait.. lol. But in time it will happen.....:)
 

Foxhat

Senior Member
Mooch, please don't stop with the stories, we missed you.

Let us know when you back in action and you ready to fish.
 

Mooch

New member
Wooo hooo!!! :dban: i just got a van with roof racks!! Tonight I clean out my Ski and make a list of what I need.. Saturday I renew my fishing license and top up on my tackle... and.... Sunday I'm back on the water!!! ;)

I'm launching at Vetchies, cos i havent paddled in over 1 and half yrs, so I need to get my bearings again... If anyone wants to join me, i'll be at Moyo Pier launching around 5:30am.. Slightly obese dude with an orange Supalite ski... Lets see if i can still remember where the spots at Vetchies are!!! :)

Cant wait to get back on the water!!!_seal1_
 

Mishfan

New member
Howzit bud, just read your last post and got me interested. I just got myself a plastic sot and I'll be coming down to durbs next week. I had no intention of taking the boat with as the thought of launching through the surf is quite daunting. Its sounds like vetchies is different from what I gather. Is it a safe place for a first timer to launch from?
 

Mooch

New member
Hey!!! Cool man.. launching from Vetchies at low tide is like launching at a dam...you won't believe it.. needs to be seen to be believed...
 

shiv17

Member
Came across the thread now now and read it from start to finish. I am waiting to test out a supalite wahoo that a mate is selling before i buy it.... havnt paddled before. The thread is getting me more excited and eager to get out onto a ski. Thank you Mooch!_seal1_
 

Mooch

New member
Hey Mishfan! Yes I did go out. The fishing was pretty slow though... lots of mozzies and very small shad. I hit all my favourite spots and blanked. Then.... after deciding that i'd call it a day, I decided to try one last spot... (I don't like this spot, cos it's too close to the breakers.. and if you're not on your toes, you're easily caught off guard and go for a swim...). I managed to catch one decent sized shad there... but the tide was turning, and I decided to call it a day afterwards... was great to be back on the water!!!
 

Mooch

New member
Hey guys.. i'm paddling Virginia tomorrow morning (18th April 2015) if anyone wants to join me? I'm gonna try for a 5am launch and be back by 8am...
 
Top