evening all I am finally fully equipped and start

andymac

New member
Mooch, a lot of mackerel and some shad came out yesterday and today about 75 metres North in line of the edge of South pier. You would have had to use an anchor today as there was a bit of a drift.
Andrew
 

Mooch

New member
Thanks Guys!!!.... Gonna try my hand at Mackerel fishing again this week... Perhaps tomorrow evening.. Around 4-5pm.. Tide and wind looks good enough...

So excited... hehehehehe... :fst:
 

Mooch

New member
Hey Trev11...

I was unfortunately prepping for an interview for Monday morning. So I had to be a good boy, and stay away from my ski.. :-(   But anyways, interview went well, and I'm now watching tides and wind again!!!!:SSS
 

Mooch

New member
Hey guys...
Sorry for being so quiet. I eventually got the job that I applied for, so I've been busy, busy , busy. Still on probation, so have to impress, or i'm out!! lol

Anyways... I have been out with the ski I think twice since my last post. Still haven't done any fishing, but the paddling and exercise is good!! Oh boy!!!.... Have I got news for you!!!!

Well... last week sat, I met up with a mate from the area, who had just recently purchased a BRAND NEW ski, carbon fibre paddle, rods, fish finder, the works!!! The guy spent a fortune!!! R2800 on the roof racks alone!!! Gee whizz...

But anyways, he was planning on going out FOR HIS FIRST TIME (wink, wink...lol) and was planning on launching at Umdhloti!!! (Yeah.. I know... lol)

Anyways, after much convincing, I managed to convince him to come for a paddle at Vetchies. Tide was low, waves were about 30cm, wind was down, perfect for a beginner.

Anyways, a lil wobble here, lil wobble there, but he got out just fine. I even left my ski on the beach and went into the water chest high behind him (although he didn't even see me)... I was there for support, should he have needed it. But a wobble here and there, and a reluctant paddle here and there, and he was out.. Then I ran back for my ski, pushed, and pushed.. Jumped on, and paddled like there was no tomorrow... lol.. Then he looks back and sees me 30m behind and asks me if I'm having trouble launching??!!! lol... I had to giggle.. Thank goodness those days are over!!!

So all in all I had a good day. Worked the back muscles, and got to help a fellow paddle skier in the process.. (Skier?? Is that even a word??)

Oh... And I saw my first shark!!! Yep.. A small one about 1.5m. It was feeding off the reef (I think)... 1st saw the dorsal fin, then saw the back fin thingy.. But really just the tip. They were both moving erratically, and the shark seemed to be facing downwards... So I assumed it was searching for food on the reef..!! Was scary at first, but I soon realised that he wasn't even remotely interested in me, which made me feel more at ease.

I still want to get out and try fishing though!! I tried a bit on Sat, but it was a huge FAIL!!! lol I threw my anchor down, got my rod out, was about to tie on a few lures, when I felt this HUGE tug on the left side of the ski... Then it went away... Then it came again... Boat dived deep to the left.. I almost went off!!! (And I saw the shark earlier remember?? ) Only to find out that there was a mad drift, and my anchor got stuck on something below... Pulled the anchoe back up, rod went back into the hatch, and that was the end of my fishing expedition. I think I'll stick to paddling for a while. But I must admit.. I really want to start fishing, but I think I'll be a bit at ease if i perhaps go with someone, or meet someone there who doesn't mind me just tagging along for the morning whilst they go about their fishing. Next time out, I'll see if anyone out there will be ok with me just following them, and perhaps "doing what they do", just to gain some experience in fishing off the ski... Anyways.. Will keep you guys informed... Tight lines, and keep it safe!!!

Mooch :kaykak
 

Parasite

New member
Hey Mooch,

Read your thread, need to join Durban Paddle Ski Club. As a member you can also fish off your ski in the Harbour. Getting some awsome grunter off the center bank at high tide using crackers. This will give you the opportunity to gain some confidence as well as angling experience.

Wind Guru predicts east wind on Saturday, I'll be out in the harbour early morning at high tide, on Sunday they predict sw winds, I'll be out at veggies "hunting". Come out and meet me. I'll fish with you to give you some advice where-ever I can. Ski 288 Eric Tunny
 

Pelagic gear SA

New member
Mooch, keep going you are on the right track!

By the sounds of things, you have tied your anchor rope on to your handle on the side of your ski. Don't!!
You need to tie your rope on to the handle on the nose of your ski. That way when you are sitting in the current, your ski will be down current with the nose facing towards your anchor.
To retrieve it you merely paddle up in the direction of the anchor until you have the rope in the water next to your ski and you can get a hand on it - start your retrieve of the anchor and slide it in to your hatch.

Re: catching mackerel:
you might want to start off with a simple rig of two hooks and a sinker to catch the mackeral.
It will be easier for you are a beginner than to worry about controlling 5-6 hooks. Trust me when those sibiki hooks grab hold of anything and everything in their path. I'm talking about legs, toes and hands.
Start with two hooks and to help,place a small chunk of sardine or bait on the hooks. You will pick up a shad or two as well.
Once the bait smell is in the water or area around your ski, you will find that every down is a fish or two. Quite fun when 2 shad grab both hooks at the same time and swim in opposite directions.

ONCE AGAIN: Be careful of the shad's teeth. That bite from a shad is horrible and bleeds non-stop.

Where the bait is today, is not necessary where they were yesterday. You will have to find them. One way to find the bait is look where the other guys on their ski's are positioned.
Bending rods means fish!
If nobody seems to be catching in that area, go find another spot of your own.

WRT Fishing in the bay:
You don't need to belong to a club to fish in the bay.
It is great fun paddling around the sand banks as you can catch quite a few different species. Grunter are always fun on light tackle.
DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH CRACKERSHRIMP unless you have a specific bait permit for them.

Keep the posts flowing here. I enjoy reading on your progress!

Cheers
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
Mooch, it's good to hear your stories boet, keep them coming.  My 5cents, and I am not sure what the concensus is here, but I have started using a uzzuri rod.  The one where the uzzuri with it's trauma causing hooks runs through the inside of the rod.  I have no issue catching bait with it, and it stores nicely in my hatch or in my rear rod holders.  Those uzzuri's can be devastating for begginers and have ruined a good couple trips for me in my earlier days.  You should have a look at getting one of these...and a water proof camera when your new job pays a good bonus!

 

I haven't been on the water for ages, but would be keen to hook up before work one morning when summer peaks!  I am also a member of Umgeni KFC - plenty fishing mad guys there will be keen to show you the ropes and sink a few beers with you!

Cheers

SOTR

 

 
 

Mooch

New member
Hey guys!!!

Thanks for all the replies, etc.. Good to know that you guys are reading my posts.

Well... Sunday seems to be about the only day I have free, So I'm gonna hopefully take my buoyancy apparatus for a swim.

Thanks for the invite Parasite!!! Please lemme know what time you're planning on launching, so I can hopefully meet up with you. I'm so eager to learn how to fish off my ski, but I feel lost without any hands on experience from someone.

Pelagic Gear SA... Dude you are so right about the whole handle thing.... I tied the anchor to the left hand side handle... (I nearly shat myself) ... lol

Mackerel, mackerel, mackerel.... That's all I'm about now guys.. lol.. I used to catch em lil buggers in big numbers in the uk off the pier, but now with my Weapon of Mass Destruction, I can't even catch a cold!! lol I think I'll eat my first Mackerel raw, when I eventually do get one on board.. Hopefully that will break the bad luck streak I'm experiencing.. lol..

Anyways, take it easy... Hopefully I'll spot one or 2 of you on the water on Sunday...

Cheerio.. Mooch :breakd::woohoo
 

Parasite

New member
Howsít Mooch,

Rules of our club you may only launch 1/2 hr before official sunrise. I'm that fat guy stand at the starting gates at the waters edge.

Easier way to handle your anchor - attach length of ski rope to front handle. Length to reach back to where your foot rudder peddle control is. Attach "J"clip to other end.

When you want to drop anchor, you let your anchor rope out from where you are sitting on your ski. When it reaches the bottom, let out another+-2m then some more to accommodate the swell height. Tie a loop knot in your anchor rope. and attach the ""J" clip to the loop. Release your anchor rope, the other end in your hatch will slowly unwind until your ski nose points into the wind.

When you want to pull you anchor, pull on the end of the anchor rope in your hatch until you get to the loop knot/"J" clip. Release the clip and undo the loop knot. Pull your anchor rope until you have retrieved your anchor. This way there is no need to paddle around and try and catch your anchor rope. In rough water this is easier said than done. ALWAYS use fishing line as a weak link unless you want to loose your anchor. Another story trying to break you weak link if you use cable ties in rough water. Been there, done it! 

Regarding permit for Durban harbour, you MUST be registered with the port authorities regardless if you fish from a powered vessel or non-powered. Google Durban Harbour rules/regulations and check out the safety requirements. I assure you the water wing of police frequently chech up on us. Licence for cracker is R94.00 per 12mth cycle. You can pump cracker only from A &B Banks. Tight Lines. See you on the water.
 

Parasite

New member
Hey Mooch,

I'll make you up a trace to use for mackrel, bring along a small spinning rod. We use drift baits and find it better. The mackrel tend to be just under the surface. I'll put on some trace wire just in-case you hook-up a shad.
 

Mooch

New member
Cool Parasite... See you on Sunday....

Oh.. and the bad luck eating raw Mackerel thingy still stands... lol.. Serious....:wfish
 

Parasite

New member
Katrol wrote:
Hiya Mooch,

Sow did you have yourself a raw mackarel breakfast?

This is an awesome thread!

Guys,

The man was a "no show". Arrived at 05h00, with made up trace for Mooch as well as camera. Launched at 05h20 and paddled all over testing different areas known for mackrel. Did not find them, but found an abundence of shad - big ones between 11/2 and 2kg opposit South Beach. Thought "fantastic" give ol'mooch  a good introduction to ski fishing. Paddled back to wait for MOOCH. Other members fron Sealine asked if Mooch was around. Where is Mooch????

Not much eles happening so left the water at 08h30. Have'nt forgotten will catch him one day on the water - still going to eat his first fish raw. Will always have the camera ready. Tight lines all,......
 
Top