Carp Fishing

Basspro

Senior Member
Been a while since I wrote - fishing and life keeps a man busy.

It seems to me that specimen anglers are of another breed - when I look at the various specimen generations and ponder the question put to me last week by my session buddy about adaptation between then and now I wonder what have really changed?

ALOT

Let me tell you I would never have believed you if you said in 2015 I'd be using an in line safety lead system, stronger 3.5lb test curve blanks and fished some big lakes in search of huge mirrors and colossal commons. Indeed times have changed. Today anglers have more at their disposal and can make better choices compared to 'our old generation' - but the up side is I love it - I have had every opportunity to expose myself to people, angler profiles and carp habitation etc. and met some awesome people some of whom I'd fish with any day. Along the way I have had some frustrating sessions, blank sessions and sessions that i just prayed would come to an end. Now don't get me wrong I fish for what swims but at times a man needs a chill session. A laid back session where he could get 1 run out of the weekend and that would be a good fish - or any fish he wouldnt mind.

Just last week the water teamed with carp below so I'd say but not one showed. I remembered reading Leon Hoogendijks remark on: "Doesn't mean they not showing they not there" - unquote. Truth is they might actually have moved off but we sometimes stick it out - either it pays off or it doesn't but that's carp fishing..trial and error.

Moving on I blanked one year for six months. after trying it all, leaning on experience and testing rigs over and over - I still blanked. Giving up is no option so I plodded along. It came together later but we all have our moments of dispair and absolute success. Define success - size of your fish, how many 40's or constant captures ? You decide when next you pack the car as to what will you do to buy a bite. I sat up all night last week thinking what to do, what to change. I had already landed a 25lb common earlier but I had to try getting into the fish. My partner landed an upper 20lb as well so it seemed the fish were there. Our baited area was well thought out but fish are fickle and anglers more so. I'm sure we sometimes don't even understand ourselves. All the same - you figure out how your next session plays out.

Rigs and presentation is another topic hot under the collar - DVD's good and great as they might be will not teach you all you need to know. Evolution does and experience counts for everything. I enjoy the KISS part of my fishing be it for carp, cats or big bass I keep it straight and simple though I pay attention and tweak my approach often. The aspect concentrate most on is presentation, rigs and location....as one does but of course when session blues sets in we don't quite understand how we got it wrong. Who can know these things?.

Does size matter? now don't go thinking crued thoughts as I know one guy here will do when he reads anything about size. Hook size, patterns in contrast to bait size and your quarry......indeed it does. I won't dwell on this but I've settled on my choices - Drennan Continental Boilie hooks, Gardner Talon Tips and Choddy hooks. In 20 years I've tried 'em all, hated some and threw others away. I made my choice.

That's it for now. Ask yourself....no matter what gear you have how are you going to buy the next bite, how complicated will you make it for yourself etc.?

Go out there - Fish Hard - Fish Smart - Be Safe.

Taken from the Carp Diaries

John'O

 
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
Well said.
What has changed? almost everything, and it's still changing.
We went from very long limp rods to long strong rods, now back to shorter strong rods or very short strong rods, or shorter limp rods, it's all about where and how now, see.

Also, with video and mobile technology growing in leaps and bounds this is becoming accessible to all, I'm on another forum here in Oz and about 1/2 of the guys make their own fishing video's some are amazingly good, some are average, all are entertaining to watch, as we can identify with them so closely.

Everything in the world is becoming compartmentalized/ specialized, look at cars as an example - compact, small, medium and large SUV's instead of the bog standard 4x4, crossovers, etc etc.
Fishing is the same. Equipment for exact applications is the norm - instead of the standard bivvy you can now have the compact brolly, or the compact bed chair, the compact landing net, and so forth.

For me it's all about fish on the bank, and the enjoyment factor. Focus too much on the other noise and you'll lose the fun side of it.
 
Top