BRAAI TIME !

Serra Moz

Sealiner
With Summer and the Festive season upon us, I want to know if anybody are using those S/S Smokers? I have searched "high & low" but haven't seen any for sale?

Which online Braai Shops can I contact?

Share some tips and info please.
 

Nick A-S

New member
Hi, I bought one at Mias in Woodmead a little while back and last time I was there they still had them in stock, so have a look if you are close to them.
 

Guppigetta

New member
Hi guys, here in Kimberley Checkers used to stock them as well as the LP gas company. The local technical school also made them as projects in class.
 

Glassy

New member
My mate and i made a smoker out of a 30 gallon drum we got from a local scrapyard for 50 bucks. We cut 2 holes for doors with a grinder - one on the bottom for the fire and another higher up where we added a charcoal grate from a 57cm Weber as a platform for whatever you're smoking to sit on or hang off. We drilled a bunch of 10mm air holes around the outside of the base so you can close the doors and it doesnt kill the fire. You basically braai as you normally wood but throw chips on the fire and close the doors. We got some cheap stainless hinges and a steel draw handle to make it a bit neater and easier to use - all cost less than 200 bucks and you can do a ton of stuff in there. Took about an hour to make.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Glassy wrote:
My mate and i made a smoker out of a 30 gallon drum we got from a local scrapyard for 50 bucks. We cut 2 holes for doors with a grinder - one on the bottom for the fire and another higher up where we added a charcoal grate from a 57cm Weber as a platform for whatever you're smoking to sit on or hang off. We drilled a bunch of 10mm air holes around the outside of the base so you can close the doors and it doesnt kill the fire. You basically braai as you normally wood but throw chips on the fire and close the doors. We got some cheap stainless hinges and a steel draw handle to make it a bit neater and easier to use - all cost less than 200 bucks and you can do a ton of stuff in there. Took about an hour to make.

We'd used those on farms, works well, but I am looking for something smaller - mobile and portable. I have actually forgotten about this topic I posted so long ago.... The thing is when I am in SA.... I have like 1000s of things to do, never get to finish my list anyway and I suppose the smoker remained at the bottom of the list?
 

Glassy

New member
Hi, when you are in SA again you should check Checkers and some Spars. They usually have those stainless tray type smokers. I got one for just over 100 bucks a while ago. Problem is its pretty small if you want to do more than 1 piece of meat at a time.
www.braaishop.com/ has smokers if you want to shop online.

::tight:
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Glassy wrote:
Hi, when you are in SA again you should check Checkers and some Spars. They usually have those stainless tray type smokers. I got one for just over 100 bucks a while ago. Problem is its pretty small if you want to do more than 1 piece of meat at a time.

::tight:

Thanks for the tip, I will do... I have had smoked chicken drum sticks - it was super nice !! Also used a small one, not sure if it was bought or made?
 

Glassy

New member
You should try smoking veggies. Mushrooms are awesome.

You could also try making an electric smoker with ceramic pots and a hotplate as in the pic. Ive seen an old steel toolbox made into one before but without the electrical bits.
 

Attachments

  • smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 65
Top