Bluewater Bay Mouth

fishfinder23

Senior Member
hey guys, thinking of going for a throw later 2day, has any1 had any luck or heard of guys pulling any leerie or shad at the mouth near by the bridge?I've tried a few times but got nothing...any idea what lures, poppers, spoons etc will work?i have them all...:::S:fishn
 

RandomBrad

New member
Fishfinder.. 

I've heard the mouth can be good.  Personally, I've fished there loads.  I still go there often because I like the place.  But it really is shocking fishing!  I've stood there for hours, early morning, afternoon, after dark, pushing tide, falling tide, springs, neaps, east bank, west bank, in the waves, in the channel, under the bridge, east wind, west wind, no wind - and nothing.

I think in all the years, I've had a small kob, a gurnard & some rays / sandsharks... 

So:  try a spoon for elf later on in the year, try a dropshot fast retrieve for leery & a slow dropshot for kob bounced along the bottom. 

A good looking spot: park at the bluewater bay lifesaving club.  Go in and get a beer.  Then grab your stuff and walk out into the water - following the bank of the river out to sea.  The bank goes out for a good long way - kind of curves to the right as you go out.  When the tide pushes, you get water rushing over the bank and into the channel.  Flick a dropshot onto the bank and let it get washed off into the channel, twitching it as you go....

let me know if you catch something!!

RandomBrad.
 

neilg

Sealiner
funny thing

I've also spent quite a bit of time there, with VERY LITTLE RESULTS.

But then, I must add that I didn't go with a serious mindset, it was more a case of killing time.

Clean water, early morning / late afternoon with a pushing tide should be good for elf and leeries, IF THEY ARE AROUND.

You should rather give the surf to the left of the club a go, much better. Look for banks and channels, concentrate around them
 

frank22

Sealiner
finally back in the country. went to bluewater bay this afternoon was crap man strong wash in the water and the water was ginger beer colour nice for cob in the evening with raps or bait but trying to throw lures in a strong current with holiday makers and dech chairs in the way while u running to keep up with your lure is no fun
going out to krom tomorro morning to see whats happening on lures
 

frank22

Sealiner
was out at swarries today , couple of grunter came out and had a few chases on plugs and soft lures small leeries one nice grunter of about 5 kg came out at amsterdamhoek at about 15:30 this afternoon but current on the push was HECTIC man. i got two small steenies at blue horizon bay this morning on berkley worms nice little hole just to the right of the parking lot , little side current in the water but water cold and full of colour
tackle used for steenies 8 foot loomis graphite 6 lb berkley fire line braid and 1/4 ounce lead head with crazy orange worm GREAT  fun both steenies under a kg
 

Arrie D

Senior Member
My personal opinion is that the current is just to strong at Swarkops mouth. ( Deep and funnels). Rather fish the area at the  surf zone - as the swell starts having a impact on the river ( dropping tide ) and rather fish the area around the first bend -toward Modderspruit with the pushing tide.
 
Top