Bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) [b][/b]

Enigma

Drive up and down on Arabie at night and you are sure to get a few in the boat and a few tail slaps with them jumping like mad in the path of the boat.

Seen a guy get smashed out of a boat there with a 20kg fish jumping out and hitting him in the chest while going flatout with the boat

Fanie

Sealiner
This is a picture I have from an article on aparently the worlds largest fresh water fish.  Can't remember the details, but it wasn't caught on fishing line.

Attachments

• monster-6ft-fish.jpg
    monster-6ft-fish.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 133

Enigma

It's the Mekong Catfish, caught in the Mekong river in China

They are herbivores and can be caught on rod and line using a lump of Porridge (pap) mixed with bread on the hook

CARP1

Sealiner
Enigma wrote:
Drive up and down on Arabie at night and you are sure to get a few in the boat and a few tail slaps with them jumping like mad in the path of the boat.

Seen a guy get smashed out of a boat there with a 20kg fish jumping out and hitting him in the chest while going flatout with the boat

I know its laughing matter,but it must be comical to see a guy getting whacked out of his boat by a fish.Revenge....;-).Hope the chap was ok.

The way they described the Carp in the program was very,very negative.According to the researchers they destroy everything.The indigenous species have all but disappeared,and they have taken ovr the whole river.

Can they actually do that?And if so,isnt Arabie in danger in the long run from them?

Optimus

carp 1 You saw it last night well I can say that the same thing is now happening in Arabie. They said last night that the Americans can't catch the carp. They must come to South Africa so that we can teach them. Last year we caught them weighing about 150g and at this stage the fish weigh between 1,800 kg to 3 kilos. We caught them 2 weeks ago and bag 44between myself, my wife and daugther in a 8 hour session at Arabie.

Fanie

Sealiner
The Arabie ? has grass carp in it, heard of someone taken off the boat by one. Aparently they jump when they get a fright.

Optimus

Arabie do have Grasscarp but there is a huge difference between Grasscarp and Chinese silwer carps. It is the Silwercarps (Chinamons) which do the jumping.