Ben hearing that one could change the handle beari

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
Ben hearing that one could change the handle bearing to bushing to prifent play in the handle? How whould u have that done, how easy is it as i'm useliss when it come's to spining reel's? Can it be done your self if bearing was baught over the counter, ?...

My slade has ben through alot (lot of fish caught on it), but still smooth and not even a nick on it, i just want to get rid of that play in the handle..

Cheer'z JJ
 

roland

Sealiner
JJ Pienaar wrote:
Ben hearing that one could change the handle bearing to bushing to prifent play in the handle? How whould u have that done, how easy is it as i'm useliss when it come's to spining reel's? Can it be done your self if bearing was baught over the counter, ?...

My slade has ben through alot (lot of fish caught on it), but still smooth and not even a nick on it, i just want to get rid of that play in the handle..

Cheer'z JJ



have the same issue with mine.
 

sneaky ninja

Senior Member
I had that issue with my slade.
If you open the reel you will find that it
Has two nylon bushes that support your handel,
These were what were alowin the movement!
I replaced these with bearings n that fixed up the problem!
It was a bit of a mission as they don sell bearings like this for slades.
Any way got it dun, but only after some permanent modifications to my main gear.
Wouldn't suggest it unless you are familiar with ma'giver moves.
But now my reel is a 4 bearing reel feels more solid n run supper smooth.

Another friend said he found brass washers that he put in n that worked!
 

The Moose

Senior Member
I got two stainless bearings to replace the nylon bushes in the handle, feels a lot more rigid and less play. Only problem is it still says 2 Bearings on the casing. haha. its like a 1.3 chico with a gti motor.::happyd:
 

Shimaiwa

New member
JJ I did mine myself, was not hard at all you just have to loosen 5 screws, pop the bush out and stick the bearing in and slade is designed such that the body and clamp separate into 2 easy pieces to work with. Now as for the bearing I got mine by chance cause I bought my Slade 2500 to replace my Silstar HF30 (Which blew up on fish, granted it did its job for awhile) I keep all my old reels for parts and I found the handle bearing located in the Silstar fitted in perfectly... so if you know anyone with a broken Silstar 30 twist their leg to have it.... otherwise Bearing Man with the dimensions

Hope this is what you were talking about   
 

Attachments

  • DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 415

The Moose

Senior Member
Those bearings are quite expensive, R90 each is what I was quoted. That doesn't exactly work out cheap and is almost the price of the reel. I will try a few other places and see if i can get them cheaper.
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Hi Moose

Have u got a bearing number? I have a mate who has been in the business for years, he may have a cheaper alternative. One could be a self lubricating bush because its not a high speed application.

 I cant remember what the type of bush is called but he swears by them. They are self-lubed for life during the manufacturing process.

 
 

The Moose

Senior Member
Hi Sunshine,
its a 137zz something. 13mm being outside diameter and 7mm the inner. I'll double check when I get home. I'm not sure if the 2500 and 4000 have the same bearings though. I only have 4000 size reels.
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Ok Moose

I'll strip a 2500 then we can compare. Sure there are plenty of guys would like to make this conversion. I'll wait for your input tomorrow.
 

Quick Bite

Senior Member
Will the bush not be the same size as the bearing...hence if i take the bush as a sample size for a bearing- will that not work?

QB
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
There are only 2 nylon bushes on the handle shaft that need to be replaced.

 If you look carefully, they are for some reason designed to give a bit of flex, the bushes are not actually worn. Even a new reel has that flex in it.

Bearings or a brass bush just gives the reel a more solid feel.

Any bearing shop should be able to give you a replacemnt bearing if you take the nylon bush as a sample. Just make sure you get a stainless bearing which can be serviced. Salt-water has a way of penetrating anything.
 
Top