Balloon Fishing

Fluffy

Senior Member
much more gets discarded in the sea then balloons buddy.
i think balloons frey easy so it should dissapear quickly.
 

phillipherholdt

New member
It’s been 3 years! So who tried it and to what success. I’m thinking of targeting cob by ballooning live mullet out on the reefs in Gordon’s Bay as soon as the wind takes a SE , ESE to a Easterly direction and water has very low swell. Must work......
 

Stapies

Sealiner
I recon it will work great and even better for hammering the treshers on the mountain by standing on the harbour with a SE that pumps with a floating bait(big chokka)....

Can work wonderfully...
 

kliphard

Senior Member
Stapies wrote:
I recon it will work great and even better for hammering the treshers on the mountain by standing on the harbour with a SE that pumps with a floating bait(big chokka)....

Can work wonderfully...
Dis ok al wat jy op die brein het is Threshers en natuurlik daai aaklige foto wat jy gestuur het!
 

Stapies

Sealiner
kliphard wrote:
Stapies wrote:
I recon it will work great and even better for hammering the treshers on the mountain by standing on the harbour with a SE that pumps with a floating bait(big chokka)....

Can work wonderfully...
Dis ok al wat jy op die brein het is Threshers en natuurlik daai aaklige foto wat jy gestuur het!

Skaap boud my maat is al wat jy kort... Maar ja ek soek so slapstert! Whoop whoop
 

Mike Smith

Sealiner
kaspaas wrote:
Marthin wrote:
camboy... but it could work VERY VERY well with a SE at any of the westcoast spots... i'm thinking ganzekraal, Bontkop, Haakgat, Melkbos itself towards Slabberts etc. Dwarskersbos.... you might be onto a winner here...

I would suggest like fluffy said above... 4kg breaking strain from baloon to a swivel with your trace coming from there... a decent tug by either yourself or a fish should break that off clean....

@Marthin, you might be onto something here. I've been toying with this idea for some time but didn't know how. From Slabber se Klip there is an open area in the kelp before you get the next reef. I have always said that one should get your bait in between the two reefs in deep water. OK, one will have to contend with the Cow sharks, but shouldn't one also encounter Geelbek and Cob there?

... and I have a whole box of Government issue condoms that have passed their "use before" dates that can be put to good use....

Ek hoop net Tannie Kaspaas weet van die boks expired condoms! :walk
 

Stapies

Sealiner
Quite easy... Take a big pipe and drill lots of holes in it. Get a screw on lid and seal the one side off. Then put a float on one side of the pipe while it lays flat and attach a thin rope to it...

You throw the mullet in there and tie the rope to your belt. The pipe with livies will then float behind you with the ppe under water and then you can easily take them out and just throw them back in. Same way the people kayaking do their "live buckets"...
 

kaspaas

Sealiner
Mike Smith wrote:
kaspaas wrote:
Marthin wrote:
camboy... but it could work VERY VERY well with a SE at any of the westcoast spots... i'm thinking ganzekraal, Bontkop, Haakgat, Melkbos itself towards Slabberts etc. Dwarskersbos.... you might be onto a winner here...

I would suggest like fluffy said above... 4kg breaking strain from baloon to a swivel with your trace coming from there... a decent tug by either yourself or a fish should break that off clean....
@Marthin, you might be onto something here. I've been toying with this idea for some time but didn't know how. From Slabber se Klip there is an open area in the kelp before you get the next reef. I have always said that one should get your bait in between the two reefs in deep water. OK, one will have to contend with the Cow sharks, but shouldn't one also encounter Geelbek and Cob there?

... and I have a whole box of Government issue condoms that have passed their "use before" dates that can be put to good use....
Ek hoop net Tannie Kaspaas weet van die boks expired condoms! :walk
He he he...ek hou Tannie Kaspaas baaaaie ver weg van my hengelgerei en al die goodies wat daarmee gepaard gaan. As sy net 'n klein idee kry van wat die versameling hengelgerei my in totaal gekos het, is daar definitief gesinsmoord in Melkbosstrand!
 

Mike Smith

Sealiner
kaspaas wrote:
Mike Smith wrote:
kaspaas wrote:
Marthin wrote:
camboy... but it could work VERY VERY well with a SE at any of the westcoast spots... i'm thinking ganzekraal, Bontkop, Haakgat, Melkbos itself towards Slabberts etc. Dwarskersbos.... you might be onto a winner here...

I would suggest like fluffy said above... 4kg breaking strain from baloon to a swivel with your trace coming from there... a decent tug by either yourself or a fish should break that off clean....
@Marthin, you might be onto something here. I've been toying with this idea for some time but didn't know how. From Slabber se Klip there is an open area in the kelp before you get the next reef. I have always said that one should get your bait in between the two reefs in deep water. OK, one will have to contend with the Cow sharks, but shouldn't one also encounter Geelbek and Cob there?

... and I have a whole box of Government issue condoms that have passed their "use before" dates that can be put to good use....
Ek hoop net Tannie Kaspaas weet van die boks expired condoms! :walk
He he he...ek hou Tannie Kaspaas baaaaie ver weg van my hengelgerei en al die goodies wat daarmee gepaard gaan. As sy net 'n klein idee kry van wat die versameling hengelgerei my in totaal gekos het, is daar definitief gesinsmoord in Melkbosstrand!

Oooooh! Net gedog jy het meskien nie gescore in drie jaar nie! :SSS
 

speartackle

Senior Member
I can't understand how one would get the balloon beyond the breakers, maybe someone could explain. Sounds like a helluva plan!
 

phillipherholdt

New member
Speartackle, I don’t believe it will work when the breakers are to big. Sea should be in a fairly calm state and an offshore wind helping the rig along. The balloon rig was originally meant for lakes and fishing from a farther point like from a boat where there are no breakers. But here at home we have a South Easter that will blow anything to sea and little waves along the reefs at times, hence my plan.

Stapies, klink na n plan. Gaan vir my n pyp maak. Ek wil ook teen Desember vir my n stealth fishing ski koop dan kan ek dit op die kayak ook gebruik. Slim.
 

Jaun-Fourie

New member
camboy wrote:
balloon.jpg


I clearly am no artist
I am sitting with a problem where I keep loosing gear fishing at a ledge using the non-return slide method bla bla bla. I've been looking at other ideas to try and get around this problem. I thought of the balloon idea, when I saw your sketch it gave me inspiration, so I came up with the following concept using your sketch as my foundation. I havent tried it out yet, will do though.
 

Attachments

  • Balloon Trace.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 69

Mike Smith

Sealiner
Jaun-Fourie wrote:
camboy wrote:
balloon.jpg


I clearly am no artist
I am sitting with a problem where I keep loosing gear fishing at a ledge using the non-return slide method bla bla bla. I've been looking at other ideas to try and get around this problem. I thought of the balloon idea, when I saw your sketch it gave me inspiration, so I came up with the following concept using your sketch as my foundation. I havent tried it out yet, will do though.

Flippen mooi tekening! _seal1_
 

scarfish001

New member
Guys, I've been fishing with balloons for years and it works' however I have adopted the break away system that basically allows me to get a standard surf trace rig out a little further, 3 condoms and a 7oz sinker. Once it reaches the desired area you just have to give it a good tug to release the condoms.
 
Top