Bait Caster for drop shot

morne101

Member
Hi Guys

 

Have any one ever tried a Bass Bait Caster fro drop shot? I got one for free and wonder if it would work? the drag seems to be quite good on it.

Sorry I do not know a lot about fresh water tackle.

Also where are good spots for drop shot around Melkbos area? if there are any? 
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
@ morne101

This is purely my humble opinion, lots of members might disagree with me on this one....

Firstly you got for free, so yes I suppose you can use it, like you said you don't know a lot, I use my baitcasters for Bass and fresh water applications only.

Remember when you are drop shotting, you get as wet as your equipment (well, that's me) as I go full out - in gulleys, wading to banks and looking for rips during which I spent 99% of time in the water, getting knock by waves ect..

Baitcasters (my opinion) have got more sensitive working parts - so you must remember chances are that the sand + water will damage your reel is so much bigger. It's difficult opening and cleaning a baitcaster everytime.

Using a d/shot coffee grinder is so much easier, more robust and very easy to open up and clean. Also it's better for casting!

Also once the baitcaster is wet, it will hamper your casting distance and you want be able to do spot casting.

It's entirely up to you, why not go have a look at some d/shot reels?

Regarding spots by Melkbos, sorry I won't be able to help you there. Just go have a look, that's the way we all learned!

Now go and enjoy your d/shotting!
 

neilg

Sealiner
Grinders are just easier to use, no matter how you look at it.

I bought a bcaster the other day, will use it off the boat with bucktails
 
Top