attaching single hooks to lures

sean100

New member
Hi guys, im trying to attach single hooks to my lures but the eye of the hook doesnt go over the split ring properly, i also dont want to use an oval ring as i dont feel they are strong enough...... any ideas or other ways to change from trebbles to singles
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
I have also been trying to find out.

I want to use assist type hooks for my lures. Dont know if anybody here has tried it. I know it works on plugs.

 
 

Attachments

  • gamakatsu-510-assist-hooks-2T.jpg
    gamakatsu-510-assist-hooks-2T.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 267

sparky

Senior Member
hi.

the assists work well for replaceing trebles with singles especially when using bigger lures or plugs. the fish below was taken using a single assist hook whilse spinning for kingies. pm me if you need any info on making up your own assists. good luck
 

Attachments

  • moz 2009 053.jpg
    moz 2009 053.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 260

Homie

Sealiner
Have a look at this post by Mike Pike
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=18755&forum_id=10
Should solve your problems.
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Thanks Homie.

Still want to try the assist style. Alot easier to attach and my thinking is when the fish sucks the assist is alot softer and will give better hook-up rate. Just need to make sure to get the shorter ones.

Then again im no pro so I might just be waisting my time.
 

Homie

Sealiner
Cool,
Then make your own assist hooks !
Check here

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=8032&forum_id=67
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
sparky wrote:
hi.

the assists work well for replaceing trebles with singles especially when using bigger lures or plugs. the fish below was taken using a single assist hook whilse spinning for kingies. pm me if you need any info on making up your own assists. good luck

Sparky,great catch on plug,was it taken at full tilt reteieve or as it landed and maybe sunk a little.

Two questions,if you dont mind, is that a Triton polyethylene plug / and is the rod an Exage and if so which one. (now I suppose its 3 questions LOL)

Again,, nice catch on plug.
 

Torpedo Jack

Senior Member
This link may also help. Very simple solution, very effective.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=21608&forum_id=71

Mike
 

sparky

Senior Member
hi kitefisher,
unfortunately it was not me in the pic but my mate mike - i was left holing pole & takeing the photo's.
ja, reckon it's a pretty unusual catch on a surface lure (was taken on nomal retrieve).
not sure but think the plug was either a triton or seal point plug. and yes again, rod is an exage -1468 i think.
cheers
marc
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Thanks Marc, 

It possibly happens more than one would think ,but I cant recall one of my spinning buddies ever hooking one on plug.The reason I asked about the plugs manufacturer is only because if it is a Triton for example ,then I know it is a chissel-nose,and need'nt be retrieved at the speed of light for it to plane/surface-walk,whereas if a needlenose it needs a good winding/speed for same.

Once again I think it is an exceptional catch,I know they take crankbaits,but on plug ,I have never had the privilage to see, (probably just me)  

Thanks for feedback.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
On a big fish Safari dvd at bassas they were catching all sorts of rockcods on poppers/bloopers. Big splash then just leave it there a while before another splash. To catch a potato bass on plug is pretty wicked though!
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Cheers Aqua ,thanks for the info, What tickles me is that the plug used is not exactly one that floats,I saved it and zoomed in on it and it is very likely a Triton polyethylene plug (btw they make one that is very good for 'Tail" there in your neck of the woods.) Even though it is a chisel nose,it still needs some speed to stay on the surface. I am curious as to how long after the plug landed did the fish take it ,or whether it actually chased it down for a distance before taking it.
 

Rob Kyle

New member
Hey,

that potato is a pretty cool catch but not totally unheard of. I got one at Kosi a few years back a bit smaller than that one also on a plug fishing for kingies off a ledge.. I was skipping it on the surface, but I had thrown the plug over the same water a few times so he had probably been lining it up on the previous few casts so he was ready for it. still Surprised me tho!!

I also caught a small one on a popper fly also at Kosi. Obviously the retrieve there is a lot slower and erratic so it is more understandable!!

lekker=)
 
Top