Ziggy,
there is so much that goes into fishing with soft plastics its difficult to go into it in all the detail
This weekend in St Francis I caught a FAIR AMOUNT of blacktail, some on McCarthy, some on Berkley Camo worm and some on the real thing ... Mussel Worm (which is what they are all based on)
First of all, I marinate all my soft plastics in the Berkley Secret Sauce, helps with the scent to attract attention to your bait.
then,
I use as light a jighead as I possibly can (I was using 1/8ounce with about a 1/0 hook), sea was quite alive and the wind was HOWLING.
I throw it out as far as I possibly can, let it sink for about 5 seconds (in fairly turbelent water) and then VERY SLOWLY reel it back in. No twitching of the rod or anything just a slow and steady retrieve.
WHEN THEY SEE IT there is no smelling or tasting, THEY TAKE IT as hard as they can and the fight is on. The sauce helps to attract attention to your bait, but most of it is to do with sight, they see it they take it.
I have seen many people throw the camo worm in and leave it, it simply falls straight down to the bottom, where no fish will get to it.
It is very important to CHUM the gulley you fishing, it gets the fish into eating and competition mode, and when they are like this they don't waste time to look and lick the bait first, THEY TAKE IT before ANOTHER FISH DOES.
See this pic, I think this one was taken on McCarthy, but have to say think, cause I was using McCarthy, Berkley and the real thing, and swopped between them the whole time.
Black mussels were broken and used as chum.
Havoc holding "my blacktail" while I'm catching some more, the one in the pic was bleeding alot and became a slide bait for sharkies