alternative to camo worm

couta-koppie

Senior Member
Good stuff, wish a lot more of the (especially the agro) sealiners could be like this.

You come round, I'll buy the beers (Windhoek). Forget the camo's, you bring me some of those magic zulu's:dban:
 

Maestro

Senior Member
Let us know when you will be marketing your spoons from bottle tops and your lures from cigarette box foil...bravo,all fantastic ideas, but im afraid thats all they remain to be' ideas'.practically, it has no bearing..i use both camo as well as blood worm,and the mistake people make is to use too big a piece, i was in the transkei recently drop shotting of the surf, with tiny pieces of cammo and bloodworm lure, and we caught bigger blactail than with bait,as well as wave garick, so with the pricing as it may be, they work statistically,so you can complain about the price and use cotton to fish 4 blacktail or you can spend that extra(although pricing is unfair :) ) and catch fish, but peleeez dont complain about the prices, if you were marketing these lures, i dont think the welfare of the angler would be top priority 4 u, esp when your product is selling anyway at the high price
 

ziggy

Member
[color="#006600"]couta-koppie[/color] wrote:
Ziggy - I Understand what you are saying but you have posted under saltwater Lure Angling - Perhaps the reason for OD's statement.

just my 2c worth
True
The Oxford dictionary defines Lure as " a thing that lures a person or an animal to do something. A type of bait used in fishing or hunting." It does not say anything about a lure being artificial. So I would say that chokka is a lure. So my posting on my chokka special foodcolured homemade imitation camo worm was, in my opinion, correctly posted.

what do you say about that
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
You were complining about the price and looking for alternatives, now you are moaning. You should say thanks and open up your mind to the many possibilities.

I assure you that you will catch fish on cheap home made lures.

Here is a spoon made from a bottle top, cost less than R1.00, and you can add wait by inserting small mojo sinkers inside if you want, leave them loose as then they rattle. You can even put glass beads inside. I used a small peice of trace wire to connect te split ring to the snap swivel underneathe for added strength.

Rudimentry - Yes

Cheap - Yes

Catches Fish - Yes (Bass, Estuaries, Trout, Rocks)

An alternative to camo worm - Yes.

Here it is:
 

Attachments

  • Bottle Top Spoon.JPG
    Bottle Top Spoon.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 147

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
It also works well for trolling for snoek.

You can laugh, but it works and it is cheap.

Not my idea, got the idea from a US site.
 

tuna

Sealiner
Baie mooi lepel, kon jy al iets daarmee vang, hier in wes afrika het ons al halwe kombuis messe gebruik met n hoek aan vir tunas en dit was dodelik
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
I use the McCarthy bloodworms and they seem to catch just as many Blacktail as the other bloodworm products:first. Give it a try Maestro. I think it is great to have all the input from the guys on this forum so lets be glad for the info, I for one have never used a "propie" for a lure and will be sure to give it a go. On the other hand, if there is one thing I have learned early on this site it is not to brake down any brands or ideas. Please keep that in mind.:uzi

What you say now might haunt you later.:ssswim:
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
Ziggy

Quite some time ago on this site, the definition of dropshot fishing was discussed. ( I have searched for the thread but cant seem to find it ) It was round about he time that Reefman changed the name of this thread to Saltwater Lure Angling and left dropshot as a sub Heading. It was kind of agreed that dropshot was merely Light Tackle Salwater ARTIFICIAL Lure Angling, hence the shortened name of the thread "Saltwater Lure Angling". As Fishing Adventures has stated Chokka is definately not artifical and should be considered bait fishing.

I have also agreed with your initial statement as being a cheeper and good way to catch Blacktail, so quite frankly can't see what the issue is here. However should Blacktail be your target species, here is a tip - As Neilg has mentioned to use a light jighead I will add to also use the smallest hook size you can find. I have managed to find some 1/8 once jighead with No.8 hooks ( they are tiny) and with this set up my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son have caught many a Blactail reusing the same piece of worm.

Good Luck with the Blacktail hunting, using Bait or a Lure
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
QUESTION:

If fishing with chokka on a drop shot head is considered lure angling, woul not all line angling then also be considered lure angling? If that be the case then only one forum would be needed.

My my understanding drop shot is artificial lure angling, this does not mean you cannot put bait on the rig, it just means it is not artificial.
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Hi Tuna,

Yes it works.

Now you have got me into a whole lot of trouble with my wife as I am going to raid the kitchen for knives.

A stainless steel lure, I like it. Well Done::S
 

ziggy

Member
Oxford dictionary or not - I admit defeat on the issue of what a lure is!

But can someone tell me more about the McCarthy bloodworms? Can you post a pic - and where do  I get them?
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
The McCarthy soft plastics is made in SA and works GREAT! They are a lot cheaper than most brands. Unfortunately I don't have any pics as I'm all sold out. I think the topic was posted some time ago though, if you look it up, you should find it. I see ESA is also using them.
 

ziggy

Member
I looked at the threads that talk about the McCarthy worm - there is a pic there. I bought some of them the other day at Ciscos in Durban - R3 each....have not tried them- they were sold loose out of a box on the counter.

No juice, no smell....not to start the war on lures again, but if I should rub them with  anchovie oil would it still be considered a lure!!!!!
 

neilg

Sealiner
GUys guys guys

you guys are debating a "stupid" topic.

who cares if it is truely artificial or not ?
AS LONG AS IT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND YOU CATCH FISH, THEN IT'S ALL GOOD !

Adding some real bait to your artificials can only help to turn the odds in your favour ... WHICH IS ALWAYS WELCOME !

Gaan vang nou bietjie vis !

BTW, I am evaluating the whole McCarthy Range, THEY ARE VERY VERY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY, just dip them in some of the "secret" sauce.
Scent is ALWAYS good.
 

ziggy

Member
[color="#006600"]neilg[/color] wrote
you guys are debating a "stupid" topic.

who cares if it is truely artificial or not ?
AS LONG AS IT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND YOU CATCH FISH, THEN IT'S ALL GOOD !
Exactly my sentiments neilg!!!! By dictionary definition - ANYTHING that attracts a fish is a lure - even a live bait? But I admitted defeat to avoid excdessive acrimonious debate

I still cant find the McCarthy worms- or the secret soup! Any ideas where in Durban?
 

ziggy

Member
...not sure if the ones I bought for R3 each at Ciscos is the Mc Carthy worm - but off to try it right now on the Bluff - will report back later
 
Top