All round rock & surf setup

vanno

New member
Hey guys!
I'm looking to get my first R&S setup and thanks to this site
_seal1_ , have pretty much settled on the following:

Loomis 14ft 5pc F2534-80 6,7,8oz paired with Daiwa SL50SHK.

Due to the fact that i can only get 1 setup, this needs to be a good all rounder. I have 2 questions:
(1)I hope to throw a smaller sinker at times on the light tip, maybe 4oz, for smaller edibles - will this be sensitive enough?
(2) Would like to target cracker and smaller in-eds on the heavy tip - enough backbone/pulling power?

Thanks in advance!
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
I f you could get it. Try and find a Shimano Exage 1468 5 piece rod with the 3 tips. Very nice rod. Paired with a Shimano Speedmaster. Very nice allround setup.
Just my 2c worth.
 

Bevid

Sealiner
vanno wrote:
Hey guys!
I'm looking to get my first R&S setup and thanks to this site
_seal1_ , have pretty much settled on the following:

Loomis 14ft 5pc F2534-80 6,7,8oz paired with Daiwa SL50SHK.

Due to the fact that i can only get 1 setup, this needs to be a good all rounder. I have 2 questions:
(1)I hope to throw a smaller sinker at times on the light tip, maybe 4oz, for smaller edibles - will this be sensitive enough?
(2) Would like to target cracker and smaller in-eds on the heavy tip - enough backbone/pulling power?

Thanks in advance!
 

Love the choice of reel. As for question 1. The rod will be sesitive to fish for small fish, althou you might want to downsize your reel for that. SL50 is going to make light work of any hottie or blacktail.

Question 2.More than enough backbone, and pulling power with that rod.

Enjoy your setup and be sure to post a report on the fish you get.
 

mark norval

Sealiner
Shimano speedmaster or 20/40 reel. Rock solid and will last you a live time!

Shimano exage 1468 5 piece like said above. or
Blue marlin G3 6:8 5 piece non HMG, the older green one.

Other options. There is new rugged rods at Trophy tackle den, damn nice rods. Pop in at the den, 84 Verdun road Loraine. Very good prices.

One word of advise. stay away from Diawa:fbash
 

vanno

New member
@speedmaster i was considering the Exage 1468 but have heard that the standard guides arent that great, not like the Fuji's on th L&F...? also, does the new Exage come with 3 tips like the old? heard they don't

@mark_norval yes, the other option is the 20/40. have had great feedback re both reels, but thinking SL50 due to it being my first reel (centrifugal brakes). comments?
 

vanno

New member
@flatstick thanks, yes, poor hotties! would love to get another lighter reel like 15/30 or SL30 but eish bw_l_)
 

200ts

Senior Member
In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with the SL50.  My brother in law who fishes competitively used that reel for years with no issues.  I witnessed a guy land a 70odd kg zambezi with that reel as well. 
 

mark norval

Sealiner
200ts wrote:
In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with the SL50.  My brother in law who fishes competitively used that reel for years with no issues.  I witnessed a guy land a 70odd kg zambezi with that reel as well. 

No disrespect for Diawa, us Shimano boys like dissing the followers.
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
The blue marlin could be a bit stiff. I use one and with the 6oz tip you can cast a 8oz sinker. I had the shimano also. I compares the 2 and the G3 is mutch stiffer that the exage. The new exage is the 3 piece one. I can not really comment on that rod.
 

PatrickC

Senior Member
Last I saw, the Exage Bx 1468(3piece) was going for R600 which is a great price.

Ive had mine for just over a year, havn't had any trouble with it but agree the guides are a bit small. Caught the 90kg bronzie in my avatar with it, no problem.
 

subaruseun

Sealiner
the exage 1468 (if you can find the older one) is in my opinion a good entry level all round rod, pulls anything from cob to 100kg plus bronzies. just change the tips for the desired level of sensitivity.

for your purposes a torium 20 with topshot + braid would ideally suit the setup.


good luck in whatever your choice of reel n rod.
 

vanno

New member
subaruseun wrote:
the exage 1468 (if you can find the older one) is in my opinion a good entry level all round rod, pulls anything from cob to 100kg plus bronzies. just change the tips for the desired level of sensitivity.

for your purposes a torium 20 with topshot + braid would ideally suit the setup.


good luck in whatever your choice of reel n rod.

Agree re the old exage 5pc, would be serious contender if less than R1500..can u still get them new?


@PatrickC. Exage 1468 for R600? New? Would be an absolute steal even if only the 3pc!
Saw BX 1446 for R1000..
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
The 5 piece exage went for about R750 new wen I bought it. It is really a great rod. The bluemarlin G3 1468 is my choice of rod. I sold my exage, but will never sell my G3.
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
Just spoken to a guy at a local tackle shop. He said that Shimano brought out a new Exage 5 piece. It will be in shops at the end on Jan 2012. That is great news. The 3 piece one sells for R695 here in CT.
 

mark norval

Sealiner
Speedmaster wrote:
The 5 piece exage went for about R750 new wen I bought it. It is really a great rod. The bluemarlin G3 1468 is my choice of rod. I sold my exage, but will never sell my G3.

Those G3's just dont break. Sending mine to Enigma for a pimp soon. It's one of those things you buy that never can be replaced!
 

200ts

Senior Member
Correct Mark. 

I removed the paint from the rod and went with a matt finish, while i was at it replaced the guides with fuji.  I must say though once the paint was removed the rod felt much much lighter.  Still my fav all round rod.  Vanno sorry for the Hi-Jack
 

GVT

Senior Member
Hi there.

Awesome rod. Go down to a sl40sh.Will be more than sufficiant to handle any eddible fish and even some in eds,light enough to gooi the 4 ounce sinker. The sl50 spool is hevier thus needs a heavier sinker to go propourly.

Enjoy.
 
Top