A good all-round Rock and Gulley rod

Turns123

Senior Member
Hi guys.

The exage 11H is a magic rod...however i find it a little short when fishing over reefs and kelp beds. With a decent leader it is decent enough to pull a big fish through the hazards though.

I have heard that the exage 1224 is a great rod but comes short on pulling power especially in conditions where you have to turn the fish!

Cheers
 

Brett Naicker

New member
I kno im contradicting my other posts but for that purpose the shimano 110h is a great strong and versitile rod and costs 1350..great pulling power!just an idea.
 

booger rose

New member
Definately look at the Exage. I have the small 10 footer to play around with and it is an awesome play rod. Taken lots of nice fish on this rod - have lekker backbone and perfect for casting small lepels and baits of up to 3 ounces. Use it with the Daiwa Sealine 30. Sometimes I feel the 11 footer would give me that extra bit of distance on a cast but for general play and scratching I prefer the shorter rod. Perfect for galjoen dassies elf and belman.
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
booger rose wrote:
Definately look at the Exage. I have the small 10 footer to play around with and it is an awesome play rod. Taken lots of nice fish on this rod - have lekker backbone and perfect for casting small lepels and baits of up to 3 ounces. Use it with the Daiwa Sealine 30. Sometimes I feel the 11 footer would give me that extra bit of distance on a cast but for general play and scratching I prefer the shorter rod. Perfect for galjoen dassies elf and belman.
Well, if I'm going on owner feedback the Exage wins hands down. Definitely going to go pick one up. I'm experiencing your dilemma about whether to go for the 10' or 11' rod.
 

Turns123

Senior Member
As far as i understand the 10 foot rod is best with a spinning / fixed spool reel and the 11 foot rod with a multiplier...

something to do with the make up of the rod and the lay of the eyes...
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Turns123 wrote:
As far as i understand the 10 foot rod is best with a spinning / fixed spool reel and the 11 foot rod with a multiplier...

something to do with the make up of the rod and the lay of the eyes...

Yes sir - 10 foot for coffee's ... 11 foot , reel seat is lower .

Knowing Me - I'd end up buying both ...! Lol !

 
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
Def-e-nition wrote:
Turns123 wrote:
As far as i understand the 10 foot rod is best with a spinning / fixed spool reel and the 11 foot rod with a multiplier...

something to do with the make up of the rod and the lay of the eyes...

Yes sir - 10 foot for coffee's ... 11 foot , reel seat is lower .

Knowing Me - I'd end up buying both ...! Lol !
Yeah I would have favoured the 10' rod just because it should make for a completely different experience to my 14' Surf Rod, except that my reels are all multipliers. What size spinning reel would you use on the 10', about a 4500 or so?
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Yes sir . Maybe a squidge bigger , but reefman will point you in the right direction . On the ten foot , should work Like a bomb .
On Mulitplier side I'm klapping an sl 30 On my other ten footer , and Man Oh man , works like a bomb .
I have a Bg30 which I feel Might or is , a little too big for ten feet of graphite .a 20 Might have come off better there . I bought the mother of heavy -duty reels , but On a ten footer for spinnin - nope .
 

Scara

New member
On my 110H, I use an Exceller 3500 for spinning and scratching (loaded with casting braid) , and a Torium 20 for conventional scratching. Both are AWESOME combinations!
 

booger rose

New member
I'm runnning the SL 30 on my ten footer and love it to bits. I'm finding that my 14footer stays on the roof more and more these days while I play with the small rod. I took the 10 footer specially to go for the smaller species in and around gullies or casting short for Belman etc. Awesome balance and the rod might be designed for a coffee but its doing great with the small SL. Haven't even tried a coffee grinder on it.
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
Shimano owes you guys commission. I decided on the Exage 100 (10' rod) in the end. There were two options, one for spinning and one for multiplier. I went for the multiplier and plan to pair it up with my Penn 500 nut will probably get a Sealine SL30 for it at a later date. The cast weight is shown at 200g, which should be awesome for casting spoons and big poppers, etc. Looking forward to trying it out on the Transkei later this month.

Thanks for all the advice.
 

Brands734

Member
why dont you look at the Adrenalin Xtreme 13' its a 13 ft HMG made by Adrenalin fishing it comes with three tips that can throw between 4-8oz it is an amazing rod and it only retails for about R1150 here is a link to there website http://www.adrenalinoutdoors.co.za/index.php?content=products&section=fishing&cat=176&id=140
 

DINGO

Senior Member
Hi Brands

Checked out some specs on the Adrenalin rods, seems pretty cool.

Do you know who manufacturers the rods?

Where does it come from?
 
Top