23 Shad on Bucktail Jigs...Awsome

DropShot76

New member
Hi Guys,

What an afternoon of fishing. The whole week i drove past Sandspit in Port Shepstone, fisherman standing shoulder to shoulder. Today i decided to join them after work. Man what fun this was...

I rigged up my 8' Sensation Passion Stick and braided Daiwa Exceller 3500 with a white bucktail jig and went for it. First cast, nothing... Second Cast, ON DAD. Same with the third and forth etc. They hit those jigs so hard it was incredible. In the hour and a half i was there i caught 23. (ALL RELEASED) It was just never ending. I have not experienced shad on such a run so early in the year.

I must say i was very impressed by all the anglers. Most released all the fish they caught.A truly great afternoon of fishing.

Cheers.
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Dropshot... well done! Were you using a Bite trace (piano wire above the Jig)?

Fantastic to hear about the releases... more often than not it's exactly the opposite!
 

Trophy

Sealiner
Reefman wrote:
Dropshot... well done! Were you using a Bite trace (piano wire above the Jig)?

Hey DropShot76,

Nothing like hitting a thick shoal of Shad on light tackle...Great stuff! I recently posted my views that Shad were hitting better sizes again....what do you think? Looks like the enforcement of bag limits is having a slow, but positive effect.

Hiya Reefman,

Additional reaserch to add to another thread?
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
There are lots of shad in E.L. I got them on 1oz popper and a little tin spoon that I make. Also on light tackle, Exceller 8ft and 8lb fireline on a Abu 704lx. It was great fun, I must have easily got 20 over the weekend with less than my quota kept for the pan. I was also impressed to see many of the anglers releasing fish. I can't remember when last so many shad were around this early in the year. Quota systems only work when they are enforced and I must say that in general I have seen a lot more policing this year, I just hope they keep it up and don't single out only the soft targets.
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
thats impressive .
both the tally of fish caught - and the Releasing of catches .

They were policing our area yesterday too , I went up and spoke to them and thanked them for actually being there . Usually , I'm imagining they're not always expecting a welcome .
 

keane

Senior Member
The shad have been absolutely wild in Sheppie this past week. Hopefully we're in for a good season.
 

DropShot76

New member
Reefman wrote:
Dropshot... well done! Were you using a Bite trace (piano wire above the Jig)?

Fantastic to hear about the releases... more often than not it's exactly the opposite!

HI Reefman,

I was using a nylon coated steel wire trace about 15cm. Drove past Sandspit again today. They are still pulling out shad...
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Thought so. Clever boy.

thumbsup.gif
 
 

cougar

New member
Hey Dropshot, good to hear they coming out thick and even better hear the boys are releasing for a change!!! ::SWhat size bucktails were you using and which make? going to be down in shelly next weekend!!!
 

DropShot76

New member
cougar wrote:
Hey Dropshot, good to hear they coming out thick and even better hear the boys are releasing for a change!!! ::SWhat size bucktails were you using and which make? going to be down in shelly next weekend!!!

HI Cougar,

I used 3/4 and 1 oz jigs with 2/0 hooks. Colours, White/Orange and Pink/White
 

DropShot76

New member
Critter wrote:
What size bucktails were you using and which make?
And what retrieve?
Please see my reply to Cougar for the size. Not sure about the make, bought them at a local tackle shop in Port Shepstone. They are definately not SPRO as i only paid R25 for them. I am actually looking for a mold so i can make my own. If anyone knows where i can get hold of one, let me know 
 

DropShot76

New member
Hi Critter, with regards to the retrieve. I let the jig sink for a few secondsand then reel in medium-fast with the occasional jerk of the rod.
 

Reefman

Sealiner
DropShot76 wrote:
Critter wrote:
What size bucktails were you using and which make?
And what retrieve?
Please see my reply to Cougar for the size. Not sure about the make, bought them at a local tackle shop in Port Shepstone. They are definately not SPRO as i only paid R25 for them. I am actually looking for a mold so i can make my own. If anyone knows where i can get hold of one, let me know 
Get hold of Grant Marshbank - Marshie on Sealine... he is Team Leadhead... they make the best Bucktail jigs I've ever seen...
 

Andre Laas

Sealiner
Thanks DropShot76

I had good results last week-end when using a white bucktail as a jighead with a soft-plastic minnow on the hook. The bucktail was a brandless 1/2 ounce plain white head and bucktail, and the minnow was from the Strike king range (think it was a 5" Zulu) white with chartreuse tail. Used basically same technique, cast, let it sink for one or two seconds and then retrieve relatively fast with occasional rod jerks. Always looking for "new" types fo retrieves that work.

If you are adamant on making your own bucktails, look for do-it molds on the net, you will have to import, but they are probably your best bet.

while on the topic (sorry if I am haai-jacking your thread), anybody have an idea where one can find bucktail at a more sensible price than at fly-tying material racks? I have tried a couple of synthetics, but the real buck-tail hairs do seem to work better as the main "ingredient".    

 
 
Top