BAZARUTO MARLIN SEASON 2010

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
From the good fish that we got this was the cheery on top….an absolute beast of a prodigal that put up a good 40 minute scrap on the light outfit!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 388

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Great two days with the guys. The show will be coming on supersport sometime in early January.
We got the Royston´s arriving today for 8 day’s of solid Marlin Fishing…::S

Attachments

• IMG_7599.JPG
    IMG_7599.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 389

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Thanks DreamCatcher, guess everyone is anxiously waiting for them!!!

Got out there this morning with the Royston´s, my charter for the next 8 day´s. Forecast was looking bad with a massive cold front moving in around mid morning...so we decided to leave early and get a couple hours.

6h00am we set a 5 lure spread at V mile and all it took was 20 minutes for the LC smoker to smoke off to the races...

Attachments

• IMG_7614.JPG
    IMG_7614.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 350

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Duncan jumps in the chair and brings the little rat for a release in no time at all....

Attachments

• IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 348

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
After T&R the fish we got a double and then a quadruple YFT strike and landed 5. Live baited two around 6 kg but the first was taken by a shark with half and hour and an hour later the second had the same faith. By now the wind was already blowing from the SE close to 30 knots and at 10am we made our way home.

Huge winds at the moment, don´t think we going to be ablke to go out there tomorrow ^^..

Attachments

• IMG_7628.JPG
    IMG_7628.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 348

hawgdawg

great picture of the airborne fish. Notice how the fins and tail look extremely disproportionate (sp?) to the rest of the body? Very cool.

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
great picture of the airborne fish. Notice how the fins and tail look extremely disproportionate (sp?) to the rest of the body? Very cool.

Hawgdawg,

Nice thing you noticed that...I was just going to mention it and ask if anybody as any ideas / theory´s about it - just been discussing it with my charter. They did not only look disproportionate, the dorsal and tail on that fish were actually huge for that size fish. I have seen it before but not as so prominent as this one.

What do you think this is? I was just stupidly speculating::jest....could this be a fish that genetically has the tendency to grow a lot. I know this is far fetched but in the same line that a teenager with a large foot size is bound to grow really tall!!!

Anyway, enough of that as we got down to business again today...despite the stupid weather we fishermen are the eternal optimists and go to extremes to get those ladies with the big noses...

After  being caught in that storm yesterday and the wind pumping through the night at over 30 knots, it was an easy collectively decision that today was a blowout and a lay-day. It was also obvious that when I met up with the Royston´s after breakfast this morning that they already were as land sick as I was !!!

Despite still being pretty strong and gusty the southerly seemed to ease down a tad around 11am and everyone agreed we would go round the corner and have a look if conditions were indeed fishable.

Surprisingly enough the sea was not as bad as we had predicted and at noon we had a 4 lure spread out at V mile. We picked up a couple wahoo in the first half hour but things went quiet as we tacked down sea towards the northern lighthouse area.

Just after 2h30pm we spotted some birds fairly shallow and after doing a deeper tack we turned inshore with the sea running on our aft quarter and as soon as we approached the mayhem....BANG, strike on the Short rigger Black & Orange WR and we hook up to a nice fish...

Attachments

• IMG_7631.JPG
    IMG_7631.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 327

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
The fish run shallow with the swell and stayed on top, so we turned and chased and got on top of her pretty quick. Within 20 minutes Alberto got the leader on a pretty green fish...

Attachments

• IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 323

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
A 350 lbs that we tagged and released for Dave Royston..::S

2 Marlin in 2 pretty difficult weather half days, not a bad way to start it off:SSS

Six days to go and spirits are high :dban::dapp::dban:!!!

Cheers...:beer

Attachments

• IMG_7651.JPG
    IMG_7651.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 321

Dreamcatcher

Hi Duarte it seems your "farm" is again very productive this year...enjoy.

Back to the CADSAS comp. I got hit by the 433 lbs while trying to leader the fish, smallest boat in comp with only 3 crew. Got lucky with the yft and caught all our fish on them. We caught this youngster on a halco:

Attachments

• SANY0047.JPG
    SANY0047.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 319

Dreamcatcher

We as a rule like to release all our fish but kept the fist one for the angler, :wfish

his first billfish, and the second nearly died and then the sharks showed up.:ssswim: We towed the fish away from the sharks but unfortunately it died while trying to revive it. Will later post a pic of a potential grander, caught by fellow competitors, that was mauled alive at the boat by sharks :X

Attachments

• IMGP4063 [800x600].JPG
    IMGP4063 [800x600].JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 318

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Thanks for the photos and report dreamcatcher, that´s a cute little rat and a real pig. Please do post the pic of the potential grander. Do you know the measurements on the fish? Despite long slow hours with mayhem in between the charter with the Royston´s is going great and we have raised 6 for 5 strikes and 3 hookup´s and releases in the last 4 days. Today we went down to the Canyon and Dave (75 years old) hookup to a real slob on the #50W loaded with 80 pound line....

Attachments

• IMG_7695.JPG
    IMG_7695.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 275

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
We got the leader on the 1h30 mark for the first time but she was still way to green and gave us a terrifying jump towards the boat, gargantuan mouth wide open.

Attachments

• IMG_7680 copy.JPG
    IMG_7680 copy.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 275

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
We had her on the wire for another 5 times within the next half hour but she would not bulge up… 

At the 2h30 hour mark she started getting way to shallow so we used every trick in the book to try and get her of shark territory and make her swim deeper, losing a lot of time and momentum in the process.

Eventually after 4 hours we got the leader once again & this time brought her to the boat...

Attachments

• IMG_7720.JPG
    IMG_7720.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 273

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
After spending a good twenty minutes reviving her we let her go and quiet conservatively called her between 800 + lbs. Fat as a pig and with a short measurement of 331 cm… Happy days:SSS:SSS:SSS!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 270

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Hey Greg,

How´s the fishing been for you at Inhaca? Just spoke to my mates and apparently it´s on fire. can´t recall so many fish caught there ever.

There was a one day local competition and I know that Mon Ami released a 450 pound, Fourplay one around 350 lbs and Silk Knot weighted one :fbash of 322 lbs!!!

Some more fish were lost and a boat (any chance that´s your boat) called LIberty out of Inhaca released two ( a 500 lbs and a smaller one), lost another and also released a sailfish.

That´s some epic fishing men...not just for inhaca but anywhere...

Hope you having fun and tight lines....let us know how it goes.
Cheers