Yamaha 25hp trouble

vanno

New member
Hi guys, am having trouble with a motor that has been standing for a long time. Have new battery and plugs. Appears to be getting fuel and spark. 1 in 30 pulls might produce a start and will run for about 10 seconds then die irrespective of letting it idle or giving it throttle. Fuel filter is clean, wiring looks ok. Sounds like losing compression after 1 or 2 pulls. I don't know. Any ideas? Thanks
 

Neville

New member
If it was standing for a while as you say, I suggest you take off the carburetor, strip it  and blow out all of the channels, re-assemble it.  Before you strip it and remove the air mixture screw, turn to mixture screw in until it stops, counting how many turns it takes so that you will know how to reset it when you re-assemble it.
 
Neville wrote:
If it was standing for a while as you say, I suggest you take off the carburetor, strip it  and blow out all of the channels, re-assemble it.  Before you strip it and remove the air mixture screw, turn to mixture screw in until it stops, counting how many turns it takes so that you will know how to reset it when you re-assemble it.

((goodp_
 

Limpopoking

Sealiner
If you are going to take the above advice and strip the carb (highly recommended) get yourself a can of carb cleaner (I use "compression stabiliser") and spray it on all the parts. It dissolves all the build up off the parts so that you don't need to scrape or scrub anything clean. You can also spray it into the carb whilst the engine is running. I don't do this but the can says you should.

Then, once it's up and running again, be sure to run your engine preferably once a month otherwise at least once in 2 months.
 

vanno

New member
Thanks for all the advice. Was indeed a clogged 'valve' in carb that I missed! Running like a dream now.
 
Top