Hi guys.
I would like to start my own vermiculture bin (worm breeding bin) and have read a lot about breeding these guys. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate why I wanna breed them.:spite
I know almost everything about what needs to go into the bin and how to maintain the environment, but here is my problem. I live in a complex South of JHB where the soil is not very fertile and I have spent hours digging for these buggers and only found 3, which I returned safely to their homes because I didn't have all the equipment to safely keep and breed them. I have however found many many roots in the garden which lay mainly 3 to 5cm under the top cover and spread out like wild vines.
Can anyone help me with advice on where to buy worms? I know most fishing shops sell them in little plastic containers, but I don't want these skinny okes with which you end up skewering your fingers on the hook instead of actually getting the worm on. I'd like to breed some fat ones that can easily be put on a hook even if they squirm and wriggle around. The ones I used to play with as a kid. I have read on most forums that any local nursery should be able to help but I haven't been able to find any at the nurseries in my area.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would like to start my own vermiculture bin (worm breeding bin) and have read a lot about breeding these guys. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate why I wanna breed them.:spite
I know almost everything about what needs to go into the bin and how to maintain the environment, but here is my problem. I live in a complex South of JHB where the soil is not very fertile and I have spent hours digging for these buggers and only found 3, which I returned safely to their homes because I didn't have all the equipment to safely keep and breed them. I have however found many many roots in the garden which lay mainly 3 to 5cm under the top cover and spread out like wild vines.
Can anyone help me with advice on where to buy worms? I know most fishing shops sell them in little plastic containers, but I don't want these skinny okes with which you end up skewering your fingers on the hook instead of actually getting the worm on. I'd like to breed some fat ones that can easily be put on a hook even if they squirm and wriggle around. The ones I used to play with as a kid. I have read on most forums that any local nursery should be able to help but I haven't been able to find any at the nurseries in my area.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.