Why is braid better?

I&J

New member
Why is braid better than Mono? Or is braid "In Vogue"?
I can get much more line on my spool with braid. But what for when I don't need more.
Braid lasts much longer, but price wise, mono can be replaced once a year for cheaper.
Is there more that I don't know. Need to explain to my wife why I paid R400.00 plus for braid and she knows mono is much cheaper.
 

camo shorts

Senior Member
You get more on a spool due to lower diameter = lower air resitance when casting so beter distance = less current influence when verticasl jigging = direct connection to your jig with virtualy zero stretch, so alot more exciting
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
I love both.

 Braid is better in some ways though. First of all it has no stretch, giving you a more direct feeling of what is happening at the end of your line. The fact that it is thinner in diameter not only gives you more line on the spool but also a better casting distance.


Mono is just easier to work with knot wise
 

camo shorts

Senior Member
:lol:1 ,great minds think alike, i blanked today and Gotaway didn't, so need to make up for todays dissapointing performance in other ways, LOL
 

I&J

New member
couta-koppie wrote:
I love both.

 Braid is better in some ways though. First of all it has no stretch, giving you a more direct feeling of what is happening at the end of your line. The fact that it is thinner in diameter not only gives you more line on the spool but also a better casting distance.


Mono is just easier to work with knot wise
When you are fishing in the surf you don't need that direct feeling as the surf gives your rod a big feeling anyway. So this is more suitable for dams. The only pro is that you can caste further.
Is it more resistant to abrasion perhaps? I can't cut it with a nail clipper.
As for the leader, what is this for if you are using a grinder? Also, why Flourocarbon line that can't be seen in water? I have caught lots of fish on thick handline that is very visible in green, yellow and white. My wife knows this.
Just need this info for my R2 000.00 purchase of the above yesterday.
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
I&J wrote:
couta-koppie wrote:
I love both.

 Braid is better in some ways though. First of all it has no stretch, giving you a more direct feeling of what is happening at the end of your line. The fact that it is thinner in diameter not only gives you more line on the spool but also a better casting distance.


Mono is just easier to work with knot wise
When you are fishing in the surf you don't need that direct feeling as the surf gives your rod a big feeling anyway. So this is more suitable for dams. The only pro is that you can caste further.
Is it more resistant to abrasion perhaps? I can't cut it with a nail clipper.
As for the leader, what is this for if you are using a grinder? Also, why Flourocarbon line that can't be seen in water? I have caught lots of fish on thick handline that is very visible in green, yellow and white. My wife knows this.
Just need this info for my R2 000.00 purchase of the above yesterday.
No ways, that is exactly why you need leader. Braid is not abrasion resistant. Pull a piece around a rock and see, or simply watch the team blackfin dropshot dvd's. They will show you just how weak braid is against rocks. This is why you need leader. Fluorocarbon is the most abrasive line/leader available on the market today. The fact that it is invisible in water is a big bonus.
 

camo shorts

Senior Member
In surf when fishing light, braid does not give all the false pulls like experieced with mono. On abrasion resistance I've had a 50cm steenie wrap braid around a rock, got him loose after a couple of minutes, no line damage. Fluoro leader or bite trace is not negotiable.
Remember leader must be short enough so no knot passes through the eyes, maximum distance this way.
 

I&J

New member
I read NeilG's stikky posts above. As I understand it, the leader is about 3m long then the flourocarbon piece that does not enter the rod must be about 1m.
So you have 3 different lines.
What is the leader for?
I Quote Neil here.

"Let’s say for example you have 5kg braid, buy yourself some 7kg CLEAR high abrasion line (not fluorocarbon), there are many ones available, while you there also get some 10kg clear high abrasion line aswell. You will understand why I say so at a later stage.

You get them in 100m and 600m spools. It’s important that it’s a little “stronger” than your braid.

Now you also have to buy yourself some FLUOROCARBON line. Prepare to be shocked, it’s just as damn expensive as your braided line."
 

sustan

New member
you should read the whole article....the mono is so you dont cut your finger and so you dont scratch the braid on rocks. the flouro is so the fish dont see the line and also abrasion etc....

 

some guys dont use the mono, just 1m flouro, and cast slightly differently to protect their fingers which is probably better as their are no knots passing through the rod eyes
 

I&J

New member
Thanks. I could understand why the "leader" as I use a grinder and it is only a flick of the index finger to caste, so no abrasion to the finger. I think.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have purchased all the equipment and need to put it together asap for fishing this weekend. The knots will keep me busy for a while as the mono is thick and the braid is like cotton.
Will try the double uni with the braid doubled up.
 

sustan

New member
Braid to 1m flouro option

1. Braid, tied with a short Bimini double, (making a small loop)
2. Six turn Cat's Paw onto a power swivel.
3. Flouro leader (about 1m long) tied to other end of swivel with a Centauri knot. (therefore if snagged etc centauri knot first to go, not entire swivel)
4. Lure tied to end of fluoro (no clip) with an 'open' type of knot, such as the Rapala knot or Lefty's Loop(gives the lure more natural action).

very nice setup shown to me by "Torpedo Jack", should give it a try
 

I&J

New member
I have spent the whole weekend researching knots and have come to the conclusion that the braid to leader knot that wins is UNI to UNI. All line knots, the Uni to Uni is the most popular. Even MUSTAD recommends this knot. On the braid 7 turns and the leader 4 turns.

Tested it this afternoon and after 2 hours there was no wear on the knot. But then again my Passion Stick has bigger eyes than some other rods like the Exeller.

No fish though.

 
 

jomac

Member
what ever you do DONT use kingfisher casting braid i lost 2 good fish on saturday from the boat so no rocks, it just broke
 

neilg

Sealiner
Jomac,

I will not touch the Kingfisher casting braid again either. I have warned people on Sealine about it.

Some people are saying that there's nothing wrong with it, but on personal experience it's not good
 

Frikster

Senior Member
Hello dudes.

Find your info very interesting,going to angols with sealine and reading up al i can get on dropshotting etc.The question i have is?You say that no knot must go thru the eyes,but in the same sentence you say that you use a leader.The leader being for the fish not to see the braid?Is it possible to walk me thru the whole setup with regard to braid to mono etc.

Thanks
 

OFC

Sealiner
with my 9ft spinning setup,i use a bimini on my fireline, and i attache my flouro with a yukatan knot! and then my lure derectly on the fluoro which is about 1.2m long! very nice to cast with as there are no knots going thru the eyes!
 

Frikster

Senior Member
So let me get it correct,the braid is going thru the front eye and very close to that is the joint?Is it not damaging the braid if you cast allot?
 

I&J

New member
office fishing club wrote:
with my 9ft spinning setup,i use a bimini on my fireline, and i attache my flouro with a yukatan knot! and then my lure derectly on the fluoro which is about 1.2m long! very nice to cast with as there are no knots going thru the eyes!
So you not using a leader. Braid to fluoro only. 1.2 m, that seems long for casting. Don't you loose distance compared to 70cm?
 
Top