What rod size?

I&J

New member
I do not want to buy a wrong rod for spinning. Went to buy one today and tried different sizes for feel. Came out with nothing.
I need to cast as far as possible as I only have surf between Muizenburg and Strandfontein. No rocks and the longest waves in the world. Good for cob.
What  size do you recommend?
 

werries

Senior Member
Howzit I&J , we need some more info here...ie whats yr budget,what reel do you have (or yr looking at?)Are you only gonne fish the area mentioned, for cob and small eds with bait or do you want a multipurpose type rod which you can use casting plugs for yellowtail ,garrick as well?
 

I&J

New member
I want a multipurpose type rod which you can use casting plugs for yellowtail ,garrick as well?
I will match the reel to the rod. I just need a rod lengh. Looking at Daiwa. Price is not important.
 

royboy

Sealiner
Exage 110 ROCKS!!!!! Excellent rod! Ours has some serious fish to it.......bigger ones from my missus!

Still waiting to experience a better flickstick!

Reel? Whew, not going to make a call on that (except to say that we have a Spheros 8000 on it - and GREAT combo)
 

werries

Senior Member
I also have a Shimano Exage 110H.It truly is a great rod for multipurpose fishing. You will just need to get it changed from a casting(smaller guides and short reelseat) to a spinning outfit(with bigger guides and to get he reelseat up to where it suites you).It can cast anything from 3oz to 8oz sinkers and plugs(although the premium weight is 4 & 5oz). Any reel between the 8000 and 10000sizes should be good, the Spheros like Royboy said is a perfect match ,but if price isnt an option you can look at the Stradic,Saragosa and Sustain(all between R2000 and R3500)There isnt a Daiwa reel in my opinion in this size (and price range)to compare to the Shimano's
 

neilg

Sealiner
If you want to seriously target the hard fighting fish like the Yellowtail your only real option is the Exage 10ft rods like Royboy said

You get 2, one is for multiplier and one is for Spinning reels. Note that this is a fairly heavy action rod and not meant for light lures !!

To cast big heavy lures a multiplier would work easier (with a grinder it's hard on the fingers when you cast heavy lures)

I would agree with a 8000 size grinder if you going that way, both the Spheros and the Stradic are great reels.

With the multiplier Exage rod look at something like a 20 Torium or a 20 Trinidad (a 20/40 will also work)

Remember you want distance and therefore you gonna be casting 5-6oz spoons and plugs as far as you can.

Your only option is braid so I would suggest PowerPro, a very good and strong braid THAT IS THINNER than Berkley Fireline. (Stradic 8000 can take 300m of 50lb Powerpro)

Don't get me wrong, I love and use Fireline, but you need to go a heavier line (yellowtail don't play games) and "heavy" fireline just isn't practical !

The Berkley air could also be used, but for the distances you want (with heavy lures) it just won't work. The Berkley air might be rated 3oz but I would never go heavier than 2.5oz MAX, I think 2oz is better for it. You could go 3oz on it if you not going to try and cast a mile.
You can ofcourse throw a 2oz plug or spoon a very long distance with it.

But comparing the Air and the Exage is not fair, the Air is a great rod, the Exage IS A MONSTER.
(like comparing a Jack Russel to a Pitbull)

Remember another thing, HEAVY LEADERS, and just because of that the Air won't work, it has really STUPIDLY small guides in the front. No way you gonna be casting 60-100lb leaders with it NEVER.

I will soon have my Berkley Air guides removed and replaced with a more practical sized guides.

So in my personal opinion
Heavy and long distance
Exage 10ft Spinning with 8000-10 000 Spheros / Stradic
Exage 10ft with 20 Torium / Trini (or Saltist/Saltiga)
50Lb PowerPro Braid with 60-100lb Leader (atleast 3m)

Lighter and shorter Distance
Berkley Air 9ft XH (replace guides with bigger ones)
Spheros 8000/Stradic 8000/Oceano 4500
Loaded with 30-50lb PowerPro
30-50lb Leader Line - 3m

Hope I answered your questions
 

I&J

New member
Neil, There are so many people asking this same question. Maybe it should be put on top as a "sticky" with your other 3 threads.

I only question the "Lighter and shorter distance"

Berkly Air 9 ft with a 8000 reel. Is that reel not too big?
 

I&J

New member
Also, can I use my Policantsky 2010 reel with the Exage 10 ft. I have cought many Yellowtail and Skipjacks with it on a boat rod.
 

rofflign

Sealiner
the polly is way to heavy for that rod,I use an exage 110h and sealine x 30sha,beautiful balance and easily casts 2 to 4oz spoons or plugs up to 150m.
 

neilg

Sealiner
I&J wrote:
Berkly Air 9 ft with a 8000 reel. Is that reel not too big?
I have the Oceano 4500 and the Stradic 8000, I prefer the Oceano on the Air for "lighter" fishing, but the Stradic is a better reel in every sense of the word and sits nicely on the 9ft Air.

Remember that the 6000 and 8000 Stradic is EXACTLY the same reel, only difference is that the 8000 has a deeper spool. (you can swop spools between the 2)

So no, it's not too big.
 
Top