What reels and rods to buy

jacosmith14

Senior Member
Hi guys i want to buy new rods and reels want good qaulity i have about R6000 to spend your input will be appreciated.Also some info on alarms would be appreciated as i would like to get a set in the very near future to.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Now here's a thread U guys should pay attention to - Its been asked many times over in this forum: "NEW GEAR" - QUALITY" AFFORDABILITY etc.etc...." Dude please don't waste your time with crap out there on the market - Will U be using the gear for 'smaller lakes per say, bigger lakes, average size fish U targeting etc....? SAVE MORE CASH & BUY: SHIMANO BAITRUNNERS - as many as U need RODS: - minimum 2 & three quarter test curve with some backbone..a slim blank ..not what's out there now but I heard Awa Shima is pretty good .. Look at all options, go around, play one shop up against another with price wars & negotiations dude...I do it to banks & clients ....all the time. Take a look at my post on Un-hooking mats & weigh slings & brand names ... read the opinions and take it from there !!! Let us know what U buy ok !!!

EDITED: Ok U can give Greys Prodigy some thought .. I have 4 of these for my big lake fishing and they are awesome...landed some good fish on them and they also good for smaller dams .... or even the Chub Outcasts .. friends of mine use these and they do the job just as good !!!

 
 

christodeb

Senior Member
Agree with BP. Rather buy two PROPER rods and reels than buy three cheapies.

For R6000 you will be able to buy two Shimano LC's and two good rods. You can even look at the Gillfox rods the are good value for money, but when it comes to the reels there is nothing locally available that will outperform the Shimano's.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Try not to skimp on the important stuff like rods, reels, line & terminal gear .....

my 2c worth for now & I still have a jar full of 2c's so U'll still hear a lot from me !!
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
Go for a two rod setup. Shimano LC's and either the greys, chub or beastmasters. R6000 should be enough. I would recommend a test curve of atleast 3lb as most of our wild waters you will be fishing at distance and pulling a BFC over 700m is not easy on a light setup. Save some money and buy a 3rd rod in a few months time. Dont get caught in the mindset that you need three rods to do carpfishing.
 

jacosmith14

Senior Member
Thanks for all the info BP and give as many 2c as u want i plan on only buying gear once and that why im prepared to wait and save more to get top qaulity.Schelton im looking at 4 rods as the pod i am buying in the next week or so is 4 rod setup.I was looking at the LC's and they look great and sure they work great too can any one give me an idea of the price on them.
 

jacosmith14

Senior Member
Thanks kusaf will keep that in mind i had a look at the beastmasters at WA the other day dont like them much havent seen the greys or outcasts yet where can i go and have a look and what are the price range thanks
 

schelton

Senior Member
Jaco, on what I've seen here - go for the 2 rods first and get the other 2 later. You guys are talking beyond my price bracket - so no opinion. Maybe one day..........
 

jacosmith14

Senior Member
Schelton dont worry i am not fishing at the moment as a matter of fact it has been almost a year since i have done some proper fishing work to hectic so i save the money and buy as i go along.But i want to buy once only i have seen guys buy now and six months down the line again,If he just waited he would have got qaulity from the start.
 

schelton

Senior Member
True, but I can't wait and not fish at all. I'm upgrading as I go along. Had to get started!!! All I had was papgooi tackle. Had to start from scratch.
 

MadCarper

Sealiner
2 rods? no ways! jaco, 3-4 rods ! (as I see you're planning to do).

If you shops smart and as Basspro was saying, shop around and squeeze the shop owners abit, you should be able to buy 3 rods and reels...

I can vouch for the beastmasters, excellent rods and a good price too. Chub, Greys etc are also great but can be pricey at some shops...
 

christodeb

Senior Member
2 x Beastmasters @975 each = R1950
2 x LC's +/- R1800 each = 3600

Total = R5550

If you add R500 you will get an extra Beastmaster that you can use with one of your current reels, till you can afford another LC.

The Beastmasters are great rods for the money.
 

chris_leon

New member
Hey Schelton, i want to buy a good set of rods. and been thinking about those Shimano Alivios. How much were yours, and what length are they - id probably go for 12 foot ones.

What brands are good affordable bait runners, like the entry level shimanos? or what else is there on the market?
 

schelton

Senior Member
Chris, I still have the "old" Alivio's - you can get the new ones for about R400.00 each, I believe they are great rods. Someone posted about a new tackle shop in PTA that sold them for R300.00, but before I could get the details it was removed.

I would not take a chance on the reels, I use normal spinning reels - proper bait runners are expensive, most of the cheap ones give trouble.

Some of the guys are happy with the "cheaper" brands - I used them too - but would rather get a better spinning reel than a cheap baitrunner - my 2c.
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
"2 rods? no ways! jaco, 3-4 rods ! (as I see you're planning to do)."

MC all advice given to JS was to buy two now and then another one or two when the money comes in. What do you suggest as a four rod setup below R6000? You might be able to get 4 alivios at +-R1800 so now he has to get 4reels at R4200. What can he get??? Jackel or docks. He mentioned that he want to get the proper stuff first time round so how do you propose he does that for 6K?


Nothing against the alivios, you guys know I fished them for ages but they still are entry level. You can try and play tackle shops off against each other but at the end of the day I promise you they will not give them away.

Please humour us with a decent setup that will not need replacement or upgrading for a 4 rod setup below 6K.

Jaco. Will you ever fish buffels, klaserie, fanie botha or doorndraai? If the answer is yes then you will have to go for big pits.
 
Top