What is Dropshot?

I&J

New member
I am new here. My boet has ducked with his boat so now I want to do spinning but don't know much about this. Is dropshot the squigly rubber lures? How do you retrieve this?
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
Dropshot was always known as using a "soft plastic" imitation rigged up from a sinker that you bounce along the bottom. South African style dropshot uses the same type of bait or "soft plastics" but with a ledhead or jighead. Although you can rig up a soft plastic like the bass fisherman do in our waters the sort of fish we target on minnow style soft plastics prefer the faster more erratic retrieve that is unachievable with an oldschool rig....

Minnows style dropshots can be bounced slowly along the bottom, quickly up and down the water columns like vertical jigging and slow, medium or fast in any water the same way you would work a spoon with a slightly more jerky action.

The crustacean style dropshots (crabs lice worms shrimp worms etc) are usually worked very slowly along the bottom or left to drift about in the wash in a gully or moving water of some kind.
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
There is a huge range of jig heads available
 

Attachments

  • Squidgy_Jig_Heads_(282-white)_3311.jpg
    Squidgy_Jig_Heads_(282-white)_3311.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 257

surfaMIKE

Senior Member
Matt bru have you caught anything on that sandworm? I have some 7.5inch bloodworm type dropshot burning a hole in my tackle box. They look the same as that sandworm, would they work? As you know, Im quite anti-dropshot and belive nothing is better than the real thing, but I still want to give my dropshot a good workout and see what all the hype is about
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
Dude iv only ever caught anything worthwhile on sandworm. Your bloodworm look a bit big for the bay and stuff, unless you come across a really nice fish. get some small berkley sandworm, nothing better than that in my opinion.
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
surfaMIKE wrote:
What if I cut them in thirds?

i still think they too wide...but maybe if you trim them...
i also think you should use either camo, blood, or new penny...seem to mimic the natural thing better...

you wont have as much success as you would with a berkley one though....2nd choice is a McCarthy bristle worm...but still, not the best!
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
ya guy you cant beat the best...iv always wanted to argue that berkley isnt the best...but it is... no two ways!
 

I&J

New member
Thank you for info. I presume they are kept it that smelly juice to attract the fish by smell as well.
I see the rubber lures and then the weighted hooks. Do these go together? Does the hook slide over the lure?
Must go to Tucker to check.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Go buy yourself one of the Blackfin Dropshot DVDs, they explain EVERYTHING

buy the beginners one !

I promise you you will be alot wiser after watching it.
 

Barry30

New member
Howzit BigMatt

It seems like you know your way around the whole dropshop scene! I dont know, currently I own a whole rainbow of soft plastics and lures but the only sucsess I had was with chad on a frenzy at Maphelane. I dont know, at this stage I really feel as if the lures were desighned to catch me. I think my confidence is still a bit 2 low to the lures in the shallows compared to a smelly bait.
 
Top