Weighted rapala's

Katonkel Tom

Sealiner
Hi guys been trying to get fish on the weighted rappies in the surf, anyone with some tips? How fast to reel? Do you hold the point of your rod down or up? What areas do you look for, holes, banks?

Thanks KT
 

neilg

Sealiner
If possible only add weight on the front hook section, gives it a very aggresive swimming action

retrieve very slowly, VERY SLOW

both on banks and in channels
 

Ryan

Sealiner
I have used them extensivly at Port St Johns.
As Neil has said SLOW if you think you are going slow enough then you are still going too fast.
River mouth, foamy water etc - Speak to Uncle Doug Swannel - I think he still lives in PE.......
Target species was KOB
 

Ryan

Sealiner
I have used them extensivly at Port St Johns.
As Neil has said SLOW if you think you are going slow enough then you are still going too fast.
River mouth, foamy water etc - Speak to Uncle Doug Swannel - I think he still lives in PE.......
Target species was KOB
 

Katonkel Tom

Sealiner
Thanks neil, but i already battle to cast because the rappie is so lite, taking off the other weight i wont cast it at all!!!!
 

neilg

Sealiner
Katonkel Tom wrote:
neilg

I will have to borrow one of your dropshot rods to cast it!!!!:spite

haaa haaa haaa

I'll borrow you alot of things, but my wife, cars and ANYTHING to do with fishing is not included ... you fish with a Daiwa multiplier afterall ...
 

Chris PE

New member
the weighted havocs work pretty well,just sharpen the hook...or replace them with owner hooks..surf lure fishing for cob is very difficult in the beginning..takes years to master..or follow some anglers like wessel bosch and see what they are up to!!you need deepiesh water with sandbanks at the back(where mullet normaly feed)and where cob will wait for their prey..when the tide washes out and the water get shallower the cob feed on the mullet that passes through the deep gulley or channel..i prefer casting on the bank and use a very very very slowly retrieve from the bank into the deeper water..they can feed in dirty water so it doesnt matter if there is foam around..even if you keep the rod tip up the lure will still bump on the bottom..perfect for cob..we used this tecnique very succesfully in the transkei mouth areas as well as the eastern cape areas..the take will differ from a sudden slacl line to a distinctive bump and pick up..enjoy!!its tough
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
I have read a lot of threads and mostly Kob is targeted with Rapalas.

 

Do anyone ever use them for shad, garrick or kingies? Because I would think that the retrieve speed will then be faster, true?

 

:fswim   :fswim    :fswim     :fswim
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
Dont think you can beat a spoon for a shad hey. . . I've had good success on small bass poppers for shad, off of harbour walls and piers. I think most people use spoons for the gamefish because theyre heavier so easier to cast further, and dont really have a limit on how fast you can retrieve them. Sometimes you cant retrieve fast enough! I've seen garrick caught on Rapalas at sea, but its probably not the best way to target them.
 

Chris PE

New member
jip...its a realy crap way of fishing..but results are great..gamtoos surf works well,but mostly the gap area where there is nice formation..lure must run from a bank into deeper water,the cob are awaiting their prey(mullet) that swim from the banks as the tide rush out
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
aquadementia wrote:
Dont think you can beat a spoon for a shad hey. . . I've had good success on small bass poppers for shad, off of harbour walls and piers. I think most people use spoons for the gamefish because theyre heavier so easier to cast further, and dont really have a limit on how fast you can retrieve them. Sometimes you cant retrieve fast enough! I've seen garrick caught on Rapalas at sea, but its probably not the best way to target them.

True, but there are so many different types of Rapalas… If you need speed, go for the X-Rap SubWalk Rapala? If you add a small conical shaped sinker in front of this one for the cast, you can fish it really fast, spoon like, I know its meant for walk the dog. They go for R55 each at the moment.

 

http://www.rapala.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=x-rap_subwalk&freshorsalt=Both

 

The reason I like Rapalas so much is there is no other lure that looks as good as the X-Rap.

 

:fishn      :ifishin      :wfish
 

nomad

New member
The hardest thing with the Rapalas are tcast them , some of the weighted hooks are just right , as the guys say , slow, very slow , ive caught loads of Cob on lures in the surf , Struisbaai , MACS , Vleesbaai you name it , a huge advantage is that you can walk far , seein that you cant drive on the beaches Ive caught lots of cob from most bea ches in the southern cape .
 
Top