Two recent articles in the Stywe Lyne caught my a

Longname

Senior Member
Two recent articles in the Stywe Lyne caught my attention. The first ‘The Hottest Action this Summer will come from Spinning’ (Dec 2009) by Barry Wareham, and the second ‘Garrick, Cob and Shad on artificial lures’ (Feb 2010) by Kirk McVittie.
 
Now these two Gentleman had quite an impact on my fishing allowance, and I’m rearing to go…… but whereto?
 
I did a search on this forum, and found quite an angry mob of old manne, especially on the Rooikrantz debate. There I have to concur with Landshark. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don’t be afraid. I’ll start off on easy spots. Sounds like a hell of a climb anyway…..Apart form this, not much on spots to try shore-based spinning.
 
My first question is, without revealing your favourite spots, where can a shore-based spinner-beginner go in the Western Cape, and actually stand a chance to hook into some fish?
 
Secondly, while rock-and-surf fishing, the shad will often keep you quite busy. Is this not the perfect opportunity to cast a spoon? (I do most of my R&S at Hangklip or Bettys)
 
Any advice will be appreciated.
 

Longname

Senior Member
Ja Swaar, Arniston is apparently a nice spot, but for the same result, I can probably do just as well spinning from my lawn into the Eerste River....and save 4 hours in diesel..

Seriously, love Arniston, but would not mind to catch more than a single sand shark out of four trips! Maybe Arniston is a good place for experienced fisherman, but not for newbies like myself.

Gonna do the early thing again with Oceanman :wfishon Saturday. Joining us?

Have you got a pic or link for that fancy new trace? Come on share Boet!
 

landshark

Senior Member
Sorry, I just had to stir a bit, in saying that, I have successfully spinned (or is that spun?) for Elf at Arnies.

I bought a little onde onda some time ago that I’m dying to try from the yak – I recon it will drive those Elfies dilly...

Sat – dunno hey, will have to see how the week pans out.

That trace is nothing new or fancy. Check it out: http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=6614&forum_id=57

Maybe try posting this question in the General Saltwater Fishing forum (http://www.sealine.co.za/view_forum.php?id=1) – you should get more responses to it there
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
If I were you living in Stellenbosch I would go to Blakes in the Strand. This is a good place to start learning the trade. You can spin or throw a plug either side of the slipway and on the otherside, the swimming pool side, you can throw all along that beach. The best spot is to the left of the toilets with the palm tree on the verge of the block of flats across the road behind you cast at a slight angle to your right. This will allow you to work the water behind a shallow reef wich is exposed on low tide. Only spin there when the water is high spinning at low tide will be an expensive exercise. On low tide you can throw at Melk Baai there are sometimes elf there at Blakes you can expect elf and the odd Leerie. Cheers Paul
 

Longname

Senior Member
Paul, thanks. I'll print the info and definitely give Strand a go.

For being the first to assist, have some Mana...
 

remlin

New member
Hi Landshark

Also give the Chase Bullet Spoon a try, it works wonders bru.Once you use it, you would not wanna use anything else.

Lekka!!!
 

Longname

Senior Member
Thanks Remlin. I've made a list of lures based on the two articles, and the info kindly supplied by Neilg in this forum. I've now added your weapon of choice to the list.

Chances are good indeed, that with the input from you guys, I've been saved a lot of money in going to a tackle shop, informed......::slr::
 

remlin

New member
Lekka, no probs!!!

I've seen them tried and tested with great results so that is why i suggested the Chase Bullet Spoon to you.

Tight lines!!!
 

Turns123

Senior Member
At blakes i've had good success with the number 22 spinner/spoon. And at Arniston with a bullet type spoon - half chrome and half bronze. I think a good tip if possible is to try different sizes til you get a fish on - it sometimes makes all the difference to have a few sizes -they can be fussy!

Good luck :)
 

Koper

Senior Member
One with the long name,

try searching for post by WP34 as well, know he did some spinning at Gordonsbay as well, before he decided to sell all his stuff!
 

Longname

Senior Member
Turns123, thank you. I've also added yours to my list. Pain in backside to buy anything from the tackle shops in CT. It is actually quite shocking how little stock they keep.
 

Longname

Senior Member
Koper, thanks, I'll search a bit.

Left Stellenbosch Saturday at 04h00 for Bettys, but on arriving at Bettys, the wind was blowing so hard, that you could barely open the car doors. Bummer. Sat staring at the sea for half an hour, believing it should get better. No such luck.

Drove back, and on the way stopped at Blakes. Wonderful. NO WIND. Tried for an hour or two, but nothing on bait or spinners.

Maybe this south-easter will bring some fish closer to shore...... always the optimist.
 
Top