taking in your line with a canoe when alone

faniedt

Member
I was just wondering what the best method was to take your lines in with a canoe when you are fishing alone.

Any tips??
 

wmpruis

New member
There is only one method :kaykak.

 

The problem I have is when the water pulls you into a different direction and you end up somewhere completely different, so rowing completely straight is one thing. The other issue I have is the spot from the shore and the spot on the water seem very different. From the shore you seem farther and on the water you think you have not rowed enough. Whichever way you look at it, it is not going to be easy.
 

faniedt

Member
Wouldn't it be easier to row out fisrt and put out a marker that you can aim for when you take out your line? Keep in mind that I'm only fishing social and not comp.
 

faniedt

Member
I always take out the marker.

My concern is more about what happens on shore with my reels and rods. How could I minimize the risk of i.e. rods falling off, reels getting stuck, running out of line etc.

Or am I just being paranoid here??stpime2stpime2
 

PI

Senior Member
The specimen guys actually takes the rod out with them. This will also ensure that the bait presentation is good. I dont know if this can be done with a cano but its worth a try. Just release your bail arm on your way back, if you use the drag you will twirl your line quicker.

PI
 

faniedt

Member
if you had a rod holder, like the guys that catch of their kayaks at sea, attached to the canoe it should work.

What about using valcro straps to ty your rods to their stand?
 

wmpruis

New member
faniedt wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to row out fisrt and put out a marker that you can aim for when you take out your line? Keep in mind that I'm only fishing social and not comp.
I would say that is the best way of doing it when fishing solo
 

pumamangp

Senior Member
take the rod with you, that way you know everything is ok and should something go wrong you can fix it on the spot.
 
Top