Suggestions for Shad spinning Rod?

Jake1

What rods do you suggest for Shad (with spinning /grinder type 4000-5000 reel.) not too expensive.

Want to use it for both spoon and bait.

Thanks

_zaahid

Loomis and franklin archipelago 11" xh

One of the best rods i've used so far, been doing spinning with it and throw the odd bait ever now and then. the rod is rated 1.5-4oz, but can easily throw <1oz with the lure hanging a bit lower than usual to compensate for the weight difference...

Ben REINERS

Sealiner
Staff member
I will vouch for the Loomis & Franklin 11' as Zaahid is suggesting.

You can use it for spinning & baitcasting & its truly value for money.

Arrie87

Plus one for the Loomis and Franklin, I have the 10' version.

Use it for scratching and lure casting, absolutely love it. Casts 2 oz weights and baits like a charm and is not too overpowered so you still enjoy the fight with the fish. Managed to catch some decent cob on it also.

Excellent value for money!

Arniston

Let you into a deadly secret for shad (elf) fishing.

It's very effective and if you cannot use a fly rod all you need is a light bass rod and small fixed spool reel loaded with fine light line (+/-10 lb). Secure BLUE Clouser Minnow Fly on to a very short and thin wire trace not more than 2 to 4 inches, attach a very small black swivel to the wire.Use a very light barrel sliding sinker (i use a bullet shaped weight what bass fishermen use).

I can get a cast to go 20-30 metres on this set-up.

Retieve it rather fast...it's deadly. You fishing between gullies and all sorts of places without losing expensive lures...shad on this setup give one hell of a fun fight.

I've outfished bait fishermen by far using this method.
Even when shad are relunctant to take bait and spoons this works for me.

Yes, it's not conventional but it really works.

These flies you should be able to buy at any flyfishing shop, there are also green, yellow and red ones but I've found that Blue works best.

The small weights you can get at any bass shop.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/jtzfx.mrsrp/v/vspfiles/photos/AFT104-020-2.jpg?v-cache=1376919637

Jake1

Aniston, thank you for the advice definitely want to try it.

Do you fish sinker free running (Texas) what weight bullet sinker do you prefer? What size of that specific fly do you suggest?

Arniston

https://images.app.goo.gl/NYv5UDYbdkmqczEc6

Depending on conditions, wind etc, on calm days use small bullet shape, you can have it flush with fly as above bass worm or (I prefer flush on black swivel because better fly movement).

This is ideal if shad are close in which is common in South Coast Natal or Transkei. Used to catch a lot of shad off flat rocks too in Strand to Harmony in 1980's using conventional spoon and would love to try this there now when conditions allow at very low tide but starting to turn.

I'm a fly fisherman but flylines are hard to handle in rough water and annoying to other fisherman standing close by. This works very well when you find shad but it's a quick and easy way to explore and hunt for them.

It has it's surprises too I hooked and lost a big kob on thisw rig at Chakas Rock in Natal.