storing rigs

Chris John

New member
Hi All,

Just a quick question, I use lead core leader, After fishing do you guys disconnect your lead core from your main line every time and then re use them (get shorter every time) or what do you do.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Loops in leadcore is useless ..... splice it through and through and make a 5 turn grinner...

I always remove the lead and fish it supple.

And no we don't cut it off ......... it stays on, always check it before next use or change it.
 

Lance R

New member
Hi,

I splice it and store it connected to my hooklink in a rig case. Some like removing the lead altogether but in my opinion this alters the effectiveness of your rig, namely the extra weight of the lead pins your rig to the lake bed for better presentation. Maybe some of the more seasoned specimem anglers could give some tips?::tight:
 

Chris John

New member
No I don't make use of a loop to join onto the mainline, I splice the mainline into the Lead core hence if I remove the lead core from my mainline to pack the reel away I have to re-splice the lead core onto the mainline at the waters edge every time I go fishing.

Need to check what components can fit through the top eye of the rod and then could wind the lead core in and leave the quick change swivel and weight lock on possibly.

Just wanted to know what others do?
 

HennieB

Sealiner
Why don't you get yourself a holdall then there's no need to redo everything all the time. As for the loop being useless, well that's a matter of opinion.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
I guess it's a choice thing when removing lead ... from leadcore. To me it pins nothing down but looks like a piece of rope in the water leading up to your rig.......

I've taken leadcore .. coloured it brown and black and it contours to the lake bottom as it takes on water.

Well ....... each to his own. Don't Cut it every time but rather rig it onto the 2nd eye of the rod when folding the rods .. use a piece of string if you must remove the hook link.
 

EugeneC

Sealiner
Splice a loop in the end, 5 turn grinner knot or similar to attach mainline and off you go. Never had any issues fishing that way and the storage problem is solved.

Alternatively drop the leadcore and use tungsten tubing.
 

Beeslek

New member
I agree with Eugene,I do it the same way.Most components fit through the first eye of my rods anyway,so I hardly ever need to cut off the leadcore(I use unleaded).I mostly use heli rigs or safety clips,with quick change components,so the lead can always be detached.I only cut it when I feel the knot or the first section of mainline is damaged.
 
Top