Spots for fishing ski.

brad555

New member
Hi im new to this forum. Was just wondering if any of you guys could give me some pointers for fishing off a fishing ski in Richards bay(harbur and at sea).

I took a paddle to new mouth over the weekend trolling two rapis but not even a touch.

Many thanks in advanc:)
 
HI bud:welcomesea:
firstly what size and col rappie
secondly how far out did you place them .
as I was taught you let it out about 25 to 30 strokes each stroke +- a meter the guys with more knowledge of this will correct me if im wrong also try a onda onda they work well and depending on your tackle set up try a dead Mackie I hope this helps but I think the guys that fish there more often is better with that area also try find guys that are out there and tag along with them as its not safe to paddle alone I think there is a club there stand to correction Zululand paddle club join it and im sure the guys wont mind helping you get set up and rigged good luck bud and ::tight:
 

brad555

New member
Howsit congolies,

Thanks for your reply. Its chrome silver with blue top and bright red lip, I've never used it before but I thought I'd give it a bash. Its about 15cm in length.

I'm using a couta stick with a penn 320gt,was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get some livies.

Any other tips would be great
:)

Also I was given a erics kingy fishing ski which had extensive damage done to it, so I've managaed to fix it but would like any opinions from the guys that have used them on whether its a good ski or not.
 

Neville

New member
Hi, most of us fish north of the harbour entrance. There are currently Snoek around both in the bay and sea.  Try pulling a strip bait up towards the lighthouse on around the 12 metre line.  Let us know how you go.  For info I had a Kingy for a while but did not enjoy it, not as stable as other ski's I have had.  I currently use a Pinnacle.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Brad555, just opposite the Caravan Park beach is a decent section where the grunters are 'thick'... I've had great success there, however a fish finder is required to find the reefs/pinnacles...

For live bait, the area in and around the yachts always reaps rewards, also just in front of the short pier, just off the wreck and south pier, keep an eye for the swells... :shock:

Here's a few link(s) to article(s)/posting(s) regarding trolling from a kayak...

http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=50417&forum_id=26&highlight=trolling+kayaks

http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=94828&forum_id=26&highlight=trolling+kayaks

One of the biggest problems we have in Richards Bay is water clarity. I find that lures that make a noise/rattler have a better strike rate than those that don't due to the fact that the fish cannot see the lures. Brad555, unless you paddle really far or really deep you are gong to struggle to find clean water, hence the need for some sound. However, there have been a few days where the water along the South Pier (both sides) has been crystal clear, but I've really only caught large bonefish.... :?

I'm certainly no expert, but that's my 5c... Enjoy!!!

::tight:
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
... w.r.t. dirty, tea coloured water and trolling... I found this... ;););)

If the water you are fishing is rather “tea-stained” or a bit dirty or “cloudy”, then the gold color lure would be your best choice. Gold has fantastic reflective qualities in tea-stained/dirty water – much better that silver.

If you are fishing down 20 feet deep & catching plenty of fish on a particular lure, and then the fishing slows & you find out the fish have moved deeper – the same lure may not be as effective.

This is because as you go deeper, the reflective quality changes & thus the appearance changes. So the next time you ask “what color did you catch them on” the next question should be “how deep were you fishing”?

http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com/4-tips-on-choosing-the-perfect-fishing-lure-color

Take your favorite jig and tie on a small piece of crystal flash or tinsel. I like to tie on several colors, gold, blue, silver or what ever you think will work. This adds extra flash to the bait and this little added flash can make the difference in a fish seeing your bait or passing it by.

If you fish soft plastic baits, you can let them soak in pogy oil for several weeks, before attaching them to the hook. This will add a scent to them that will last a long time and for some reason the pogy oil makes these rubber baits very tough and difficult for the fish to get off of the hook. The down side to this is it is messy.

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1613

Algae, silt and pollution present in the water will cause light to scatter changing the depth wavelengths will travel. In the ocean water tends to be clearer, where as inland lakes and streams tend to be filled with eroded materials, pollution and garbage.

When fishing topwater lures, color is far less important than size, shape and action. A fish coming up below a surface or shallow running lure has the light behind it, making the lure appear grey or black. Try it for yourself - hold a fluorescent lure up to the sun and view it from below. Black and dark colors remain the best for surface lures because they throw a great silhouette.

http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2008/07/09/fish-on-selecting-the-best-lure-colors
 

Attachments

  • 1096872_office_accessorize.jpg
    1096872_office_accessorize.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 229

brad555

New member
Thanks for all the replies guys, will definitly be leaving here with a little more know how:).

Zulu I never thought about the surface lures that way, always preferring to take a lighter coloured one, will go and buy some darker ones soonish.

The spot byt the caravan park, is it quite far out? Also do you just use a normal bottom trace and sard? Are there any other spots to try for bottoms that is relatively close by?

I also found the kingy to be quite unstable but thought it was due to me not knowing what a fishing ski felt like, used to fish alot on a tarpon 120 which is nice and stable.

Any news on the snoek inside the bay? I got a small one about a month go just down from south pier, also a friend of mine got a small couta just off pelican with a strip bait.

I really appreciate the help guys:)
 

brad555

New member
Thanks for all the replies guys, will definitly be leaving here with a little more know how:).

Zulu I never thought about the surface lures that way, always preferring to take a lighter coloured one, will go and buy some darker ones soonish.

The spot byt the caravan park, is it quite far out? Also do you just use a normal bottom trace and sard? Are there any other spots to try for bottoms that is relatively close by?

I also found the kingy to be quite unstable but thought it was due to me not knowing what a fishing ski felt like, used to fish alot on a tarpon 120 which is nice and stable.

Any news on the snoek inside the bay? I got a small one about a month go just down from south pier, also a friend of mine got a small couta just off pelican with a strip bait.

I really appreciate the help guys:)
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
The Tarpon series are super stable, hence your difficulty with the Kingy... My spare kayak is a Tarpon 140 Wilderness System so I'm very familiar with their stability... ;)

Unfortunately reefs between the harbour and The Caravan Park are few and far between if any... Again the need of a fish finder is paramount when searching them out.

Brad555, you are correct, a standard bottoms rig is all you need, including sardine being your bait of choice however chokka/squid certainly works well and also lasts longer considering how much work it takes to rig sards versus catch, compared to chokka/squid... :shock: Although my favourite and preferred bait is cracker/mud prawns or if you battle to find then the normal pink and white prawn will suffice... ;)
 

Neville

New member
Brad, I have caught fish on several reefs between the dredger pipe and the caravan park. There is quite a bit of structure inside the nets in front of Port Control. The reef in front of the caravan park is further than the nets but within 1 Nm.  I have found that I seem to get a lot of shark on sardine and therefore prefer chokka and squid.  I have caught several Mof Grunter of over 6Kg from the dredger pipe to the caravan park.  The Snoek are still in the Bay around the Pelican Island area.
 

brad555

New member
Neville thanks for the tips, obviously best to take a finder along with you? What depth are you usually fishing in?
 
Top