Sportmans cabin boat

morne.smith

New member
Hi

I recently bought a Sportmans cabin boat via my uncle....it needs a bit of work but i am looking forward to doing most myself.

I am looking for some advise with the following:

1. Cutting/repairing fibre glass panels etc.

2. Getting parts IE: rails, stainless steel or plastic hinges, fittings etc?

3. Painting of boat

Any other ideas welcome?

 
 

VikingRSA

New member
Hi Morne!

If you don't mind driving out of jo'burg, there is a very good place in Nigel called boat caravan and camping. They are really good when it comes to stainless steel works and not badly priced either. They should also be able to help you out with the majority of our parts and accessories that you will need to restore you boat. Most pro's around will not recommend re-spraying boats and the proper way to do it is very expensive - so I’ve been told. I restored an 18ft Viking Carrera and only used some rubbing compound and an orbital sander with buffing pads on and after a couple of loooooong nights the paint looked as good as new! I also used a very fine grain sanding paper with a decent polish for the more faded spots.

if you need more info or help send me a PM or email!

Safe Boating!
 

morne.smith

New member
Hi all

One thing I would like to add or two...is this:

1. I want the Sportmans cabin accessed...IE check through to ensure it is sound and good for a retrofit.....where can I go? I live in Jhb Roodepoort area.

As always any advise welcome...
 

VikingRSA

New member
Boat Caravan and Camping - Nigel - They have a few boats that you might be interested in - www.boatcc.co.za

The boatyard - Midrand - not the best service around but they to have a few boats

Quarterdeck marine - Rosetenville - not sure if they are still open

Waterworld - Randburg - expensive but worth having a look at

Mallards marine - Randburg - also expensive but good service

Linex Yamaha - Randburg - I think they only have runabouts and rubber ducks

Liquid friction - Weltevreden Park - I drove past there this morning and they have got some nice boats there

Boating International - Edenvale

Mainstream Yamaha – Boksburg

www.usedboats.co.za – this is also a very useful website

 

I hope this helps you find what you are looking for! Pls show us some pics when have bought your new toy!

 

Safe Boating!
 

morne.smith

New member
Hi

I am not actually buying a boat.....I am lets say starting to refurbish one....but I am NOWHERE near there yet....

I bought the Sportmans cabin 2 years back, and my uncle said he'll help me re-doing it...but his health is not good anymore....so I bought it up here to JHB....and plan to do most myself.

Thus I am trying to find info on where I can get advise, stuff to fix it up with etc.

Thanks for those names. I'll look into it.

PS: Will post pics of the boat soon...just don't laugh..it is a work in progress.
 

Doublecab

New member
BOAT STAINS ON THE HULL...HOW TO GET RID OF EASILY.

A lot of boat hulls start to stain and go yellow / fade after standing in the water for some time...especially boats on the coast that are used in estuaries.

Take a 5 litre bucket...a sponge...put on rubber gloves and sponge on concentrated lemon juice...let stand and rince off with hose...very bad cases require 2 lots of concentrated lemon juice...trust me it works.
 

fstf roller

Senior Member
My boat is currently being refurbished, i would have liked to do this work myself as well but i have to little knowledge and time so i took it to boat caravan and camping.

They were the only people that quoted me 10k for a full boat repair regarding chips paint all and all and all.

They are experts at what they do and you can see that by the amount of boats they have in their yard and the most impressive show room, take your boat there i promise you that you wont regret a cent spent, the also put in a brand new floor for 1500 and this is on an interceptor 186 wich has a pretty big deck, the floor looks so damn nice i dont even wana put carpet on it.

Call them and speak to Rudi or Chris(if you can reach him) not to boost my ego or something but tell him Hugo sent you and you are in the same situation that i was in, this guy is really out to help people out, man o man i can just carry on and on about them, check in the boating gallery under boat progress and see whats been done on my boat, i will have more pics updated real real soon.

Pm me if you have questions or so
 

Sandra

New member
Hi morne.smith,

I sell one of the leading brands in South Africa. Quality and price compliment each other. The most fun part of this, it's an easy product to use by the end-user.

Please visit our web site at  www.barkocel.co.za, in our store under the heading Body Filler / FibraGlass or contact Chris, on 011 552-8596, for technical question.

Cheers, Sandra

 
 

Kokkewiet

New member
Sandra wrote:
Hi morne.smith,

I sell one of the leading brands in South Africa. Quality and price compliment each other. The most fun part of this, it's an easy product to use by the end-user.

Please visit our web site at  www.barkocel.co.za, in our store under the heading Body Filler / FibraGlass or contact Chris, on 011 552-8596, for technical question.

Cheers, Sandra

 

Why don't you guys show the product prices on the website,is that not the whole idea of online shopping?
 
Top