Spinning / Scratching Rod

kuduvark

Hi all

I am interested in getting a new spinning/scratching rod in the 1-3oz casting weight, but given all the new rods on the market it is really a tough decision.

The following rods falls in my budget and I would really appreciate some guidance and comments on their pro's and cons and which would be the top 2 picks:

Daiwa BG Powerspin 10'6 (1-3oz)
Assassin Rockmaster 11'(1-3oz)
Loomis & Franklin Archipelago 11'(1-3oz)
Blue Marlin Raptor 316 (1-4oz)
Loomis & Franklin Gully Pro 11'(1.5-3oz)
Okuma Nomad Surf Spin 10'MH
Okuma Pro Series 10'

The Rockmaster and Gully Pro is not the ideal rod for spinning (or are they?) due to the short butt, but I included the Rockmaster due to the looks and the Gully pro just as a wild card.

Further more, can anyone tell me what guides are used on the Raptor and what is the comparison between the Fuji Alconites on the Archipelago vs the Aluminium Oxides of the BG?

Thanx and
:fishn

MrFisha

hi.

recently got the loomis archipelago 11ft 1.4-4.0z paired with a slammer 4500.

Used primarily as a spinning setup, but also used for scratching with a 3oz sinker.

really impressed with the archipelago this far.

kuduvark

Thx for the response.

I went with the Daiwa BG Powerspin 10'6 in 30-70g (1-2.5oz) mainly as I wanted a traveling rod that can easily be transported.

The BG is a 3 piece and can just be laid on the back seat, whilst the 2 piece rods need some upright space.

Had a throw this past weekend and must say that it does cast extremely well with a 1.5oz clone lure.

I have a Shimano Vengeance 10' (1-3oz) and the BG loads far better with the same sinker/bait combo.

kuduvark

I considered both and even the Assassin Rockmaster which is a beautiful rod in itself, but the 2 piece design sort of handicapped them.

I have a Shimano Vengeance 10' 2pce rod and it is always a pain to stash it in a vehicle.

Went with the 3 pce Daiwa BG 10'6 instead.