spinning rod

shawno

New member
Hi Guys,

 

I’m looking for an 8.6 – 9 foot spinning rod to throw 1 to 1.5 oz spoons off points etc. Can’t seem to find one with a suitable action. Any suggestions?

 

Thanks….
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
[color=#006600]shawno[/color] wrote:
Hi Guys,

 

I’m looking for an 8.6 – 9 foot spinning rod to throw 1 to 1.5 oz spoons off points etc. Can’t seem to find one with a suitable action. Any suggestions?

 

Thanks….
I strongly recommend the  Air MH cause it is rated 1/2oz to 1.1/2oz. the air XH is the one Wesley used to land that 30kg king at Banga. To heavy for 1oz spoons and it would be a tad more difficult casting.
 

Ryan

Sealiner
Sorry to Hi-jack - check me new toy and they too come in 9ft
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=15279&forum_id=71&jump_to=201190#p201190
 

neilg

Sealiner
Ugly sticks definately are amazing rods !

Couta-koppie
why is the Berkley Air Heavy rated to 3oz too heavy to throw 1oz spoons ?
It's not ideal yes, 1oz might not compress the rod properly but you will still get fairly good distances with it. And we all know, a spoon travels a mile anyway.
What's your feeling/thinking about it ?
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
Hi Neilg.

Yes, a spoon will go a mile on almost any rod, but a dropshot won't (Just in case in the future he decides to dropshot with it as well).  It's about the action hey. Personally I don't think the Air XH is a good casting rod at all, it,s a BEAST, or a pole. Flippen good to winch out the monsters, but when you cast 1oz you just don't get that little bit more as you do with the MH, including spoons. Personally I would also like to go a tad more, like a AIR H, but there is no such thing. The XH will only feel better with 2oz plus. Guarantee with 1oz you should get a better cast with the MH, meaning better distance witch gives you the opportunity to reach the odd reef lying in the backline.

Just my opinion though
 

shawno

New member
[color=#006600]couta-koppie[/color] wrote:
Hi Neilg.

Yes, a spoon will go a mile on almost any rod, but a dropshot won't (Just in case in the future he decides to dropshot with it as well).  It's about the action hey. Personally I don't think the Air XH is a good casting rod at all, it,s a BEAST, or a pole. Flippen good to winch out the monsters, but when you cast 1oz you just don't get that little bit more as you do with the MH, including spoons. Personally I would also like to go a tad more, like a AIR H, but there is no such thing. The XH will only feel better with 2oz plus. Guarantee with 1oz you should get a better cast with the MH, meaning better distance witch gives you the opportunity to reach the odd reef lying in the backline.

Just my opinion though

Hi,

Have you made any modifications to the butt section of the Air MH. It really seems too long....Typical US style long butt section. What are the thoughts out there?
 

neilg

Sealiner
[color=#006600]couta-koppie[/color] wrote:
Hi Neilg.

Yes, a spoon will go a mile on almost any rod, but a dropshot won't (Just in case in the future he decides to dropshot with it as well).  It's about the action hey. Personally I don't think the Air XH is a good casting rod at all, it,s a BEAST, or a pole. Flippen good to winch out the monsters, but when you cast 1oz you just don't get that little bit more as you do with the MH, including spoons. Personally I would also like to go a tad more, like a AIR H, but there is no such thing. The XH will only feel better with 2oz plus. Guarantee with 1oz you should get a better cast with the MH, meaning better distance witch gives you the opportunity to reach the odd reef lying in the backline.

Just my opinion though

AND I VALUE YOUR OPINION

and agree with the dropshot, it's very unbalanced, causes alot of wind resistance and limits your casting distance because of that.

if 1 rod is rated say 1.5 oz and the other 3oz then you will definately get better distance on the first rod with a 1oz lure (provided that they are exactly the same length rods ofcourse) so I hear you there.

My thing is I have alot of rods, SH!T loads of them, I am now looking for something HEAVIER, I have rods rated from under 1/4oz all the way up to 2oz and 3oz, I'm looking at throwing the 2.5-5oz DROPSHOTS, yes boet, da biiig ones.

I currenty have 2x7ft, 1x8ft, 1x10ft, 1x12ft that I use actively, then I have about another 12 spinning/river rods that is for family use. (we not even talking about surf and boat rods here )

The 7fts can go to about 1oz, the 8ft to about 1.5, the 10ft to about 2oz, and the 12ft to about 3oz.

Thing is the longer (and thicker) the rod the more difficult to put action into the soft plastic. My current 10ft and 12ft feel LIKE POLES, especially after using the 7 and 8ft.

I'm actually in the market for either a 9ft or 10ft, but looking for as light and thin as possible, with BIIIIG backbone, it's aimed at artificial angling with the big jigheads and the 7inch plastics for things like yellowtail. Distance is important, so nothing under 9ft will do.

The problem with yellowtail is quite simple, JY MOET HARD TREK BOETIE otherwise you gonna get reefed, and for that (from the side) you need a strong rod aswell.

I think I must settle on the EXAGE SPINNING ROD.
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
If you are looking for a shorter alternative in Extreme heavy dropshotting then you must consider the Falcon Coastal. It is 7'6"ft and is rated from 3/4oz up to 4oz! HY TREK 'N KING DAT SY OE TRAAN.
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
Falcon is an American Rod company. They make top quality rods, but at a price.
Falcon Casting and Spinning Rods Products

Loyalty to the Falcon name is legendary among serious anglers. And for each steadfast fan, it all began with that first cast with a Falcon graphite rod — the surprising satisfaction of performance you can feel, the unrivaled balance, control, and finesse that are built into every Falcon rod.
Designed, tested and built by American fishermen, Falcon graphite rods have set the standard for quality for over fifteen years. All Falcon rods are 100% American-made, individually handcrafted in the United States by masters of the trade, using only the highest quality components in the world such as 100% Fuji guides and reel seats on all Falcon rods. Strenuous testing, in the factory and on the water, ensures that each rod we ship is ready to deliver the ultimate fishing experience with the toughest, most durable graphite rod made.

The falcon Coastal goes for +/- R1900 and you can PM me if you are interested.

http://www.falconrods.com/products.php?CategoryID=13

 They only import the 7'6"MH Spinning 3/4 to 4oz rod.
 
Top