Spinning reels

Flippie

Sealiner
I wane know if i can use the daiwa saltist 30h or the Daiwa sl30sh for spinning at the ledges at rooikrantz just to make the setup lighter cuz your arms get stuffed after say 25 cast
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
I don't see why not,..... perfectly good and suitable reel for it...

Personally I'd choose a spinning reel 100 times over a conventional overhead reel anyday of the week though....
 

will101

Senior Member
Ja Flippie like Nepps says. Go to the shop and ask them if you can hold a Stella for 2 minutes. Then ask yourself: "Am I feeling lucky?"

But what have you been using up to now then? I see in your equipment list you have the sl30 already? If you want to get a new reel specifically for spinning, then get a spinning reel.

I can recommend the PENN spinnfisher series. I have a 650ssm which is a well priced reel with bulletproof features without the bells and whistles.
 

Flippie

Sealiner
Ive got the sl30sh and saltist30th ive been using the sl50sh but just wane know if it will be suiteble from the ledges cuz the 30sh and the 30th is so much lighter so it will be less straining on ur arms and i went from a 13ft puraglass to a exage 11ft and a 13ft l&f 4-5ounz that i shortend to 11.5ft so its a bit stifer and shorter so ill be using this setup with the 30 reels and see if ths works beter for me i must just go and se if it works just hope the weather calms down

thanks

flippie
 
G

Guest

Guest
Flippie for tail stick to the Sl50. The shorter rod will help the casting. Do not sacrifice on the reel. It is also a good idea to upgrade the drag on the sl50. You can also put on a power handle to give additional crancking power.

Nepps is right though. As he knows I am in the costly process of converting to an even shorter rod and spinning reel for throwing lures. This after years of fishing with multiplier/penn reels. I saw their limitations first hand when trying to handle big fish.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Anton - Just curious mate, your reasoning for the bigger reel, the SL50 over the 30? Drag capabilities or capacity?

Bearing in mind that the False Bay YT seldom get over 8 kilos, do you think the larger reel is needed?

Just curious mate, as you certainly have way more experience than most when it comes to this, and I'm keen to hear your reasons.

Shot
 

tkei

Sealiner
How Fast do the tail like the spoon or plug??

I have fished for GT's in moz and I was the only one with a sl50 with 6.1 retrieve. others had sl30, same retrive but smaller spool hence less speed, or abu 10000, morums etc which were like 4.5 ratios. I was only one to land one, lost about 4 whilst the others fishing same tackle place etc had 1 hook up and about 2 follows. speed was factor.
if they want fast, go with 50 as you can slow down.
I havnt used the new spinning reels, but they do make sence if casting all day. thay also more idiot proof when it comes to overwinds when the "fever" gets you and fish are busting all around
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hello Mate

There a few things. Spool size for the retrieve being the most important.

The bigger gears also give you a little more cranking power. I have got an sl30 and I would not use this as my everyday tail reel as it is likely to take strain. I cannot comment on Saltist 30 but I have a trini 14 and again you would be putting it under serious strain. All good if there are fish about and you wanting to give your light tackle a go but not as your standard tackle.

I fish .70 mainline when spinning so line capacity is an issue. My comments are really based on the car theory. If you want to drive at 100km/h, do you by a car that has a max speed of 101km/h and drive it full tilt or do you buy a car that drives 180km/h and drive it at 100km/h. Which is likely to last better in the long term. The next thing is if there are bigger fish about. I got a tail of 12kg there about 6 years ago. You would have had zero chance with the lighter stuff. When in OZ we made hundreds of casts a day. I would rather sacrifice a little weight in the reel and be safe.

There are also times when you have to hold these fish and i see things ending badly if you try this too often with the smaller reels given .70 mainline and how hard one can pull.

I use my sl30 for spinning for cob on the surf and it is perfect for this. That reel really not known for its stopping power.

Anton
 
Top